LG c9 OLED

Soldato
You guys do what you want but there’s a reason that HDR defaults to 100 and that every single professional calibrator leaves it at 100 in HDR mode.
I was genuinely trying to clarify my understanding of how it works as my assumption about scaling the output seems at odds with what you've described, I'd appreciate it if you could explain further about how/why my assumption is wrong.

Soldato
Fwiw when I'm using my oled for gaming I left if at default settings. I've got battlefield v and squadrons on the go at the moment, my only worry is the ticket counter at the top on bf games, but I can't turn that off. I've probably clocked up 3 hours a day since October with no issues. A thought about pixel shift though, if you have a screen of grass, what are you really shifting? Isn't it designed more against small things like logos or possibly the ticket counter in my case?

Soldato
Nah, those numbers just dont add up. If we're talking in game time (ie where the HUD is) I doubt we're looking at more than 400 hours (circa 20 hours a week in game, and even that feels like overkill) as there was a 6 week break in there towards the end of Fifa 21.

Was unaware that the default game settings would use unsuitable brightness levels, ah well I'll see how this pans out. I'll make sure to update when I know more !
The first thing I did was set the 'game' profile to oled light 60 instead of 100.

Not only is it a good idea anyway but when led light is at 100 the tv is way too bright for me

Soldato
I was genuinely trying to clarify my understanding of how it works as my assumption about scaling the output seems at odds with what you've described, I'd appreciate it if you could explain further about how/why my assumption is wrong.

From my digging around when looking into it a while back, Its not really about brightness aspect. The OLED light parameter works with the dynamic range and works different for SDR and HDR content. For HDR content, the OLED light links to the dynamic range and ideally you want it at 100 in order to allow the widest dynamic range possible on the TV to allow specular highlights to stand out. Ideally to allow the tone mapping to work to its widest capability, you want to leave OLED light and contrast at 100/100 and 50/100 for DV. Problem is this can be harsh plenty of people, more so in a dark room I imagine so turn it down to what may work for you. For SDR content though I do turn it right down AFAIK, 30 is similar to 100 nits for content mastered in SDR.

Soldato
From my digging around when looking into it a while back, Its not really about brightness aspect. The OLED light parameter works with the dynamic range and works different for SDR and HDR content. For HDR content, the OLED light links to the dynamic range and ideally you want it at 100 in order to allow the widest dynamic range possible on the TV to allow specular highlights to stand out. Ideally to allow the tone mapping to work to its widest capability, you want to leave OLED light and contrast at 100/100 and 50/100 for DV. Problem is this can be harsh plenty of people, more so in a dark room I imagine so turn it down to what may work for you. For SDR content though I do turn it right down AFAIK, 30 is similar to 100 nits for content mastered in SDR.

Appreciate the further explanation but still not quite getting why this means things like the FIFA HUD wouldn't become dimmer too - I know the HUD elements won't be at maximum brightness but surely if you're setting the peak brightness to 50% of it's capability (for example) something that was at 50% to start with would now be at 25%, so is still going to have a positive effect on burn in risk for those HUD items? When dealing with stuff like FIFA in particular, which is hardly the pinnacle of HDR visual amazement, surely this is the more sensible compromise?

If we're saying that this isn't the case, by making statements that reducing OLED light is for 'no reason', i'm confused as to what is happening :p

Soldato
Appreciate the further explanation but still not quite getting why this means things like the FIFA HUD wouldn't become dimmer too - I know the HUD elements won't be at maximum brightness but surely if you're setting the peak brightness to 50% of it's capability (for example) something that was at 50% to start with would now be at 25%, so is still going to have a positive effect on burn in risk for those HUD items? When dealing with stuff like FIFA in particular, which is hardly the pinnacle of HDR visual amazement, surely this is the more sensible compromise?

If we're saying that this isn't the case, by making statements that reducing OLED light is for 'no reason', i'm confused as to what is happening :p

Yeah adjusting oled light whilst Dr is playing effects menu and osd too?

Soldato

oh we talking about fifa hud specifically, thought talking about what OLED light does in general for HDR. Yeah in those cases would reduce the brightness if I was playing a game which had very static heavy HUD for hours on end. That said, I am playing HDR COD warzone, about 100 hours in all and okay so far with OLED max brightness, Cyberpunk you can reduce the HUD brightness which I have. Guess we will see if I get burn in!

Soldato
Peak brightness should be off in SDR, high in HDR and I personally don’t like dynamic tone mapping so disable it, most streaming content is Dolby Vision so unaffected by dynamic tone mapping any way and I use HGIG for games and my Panasonic UHD player has a HDR optimiser which is better than the built in dynamic tone mapping.

Soldato
Final update from me, John Lewis are going to replace the TV as a goodwill gesture. I'm going to make this the bedroom TV and purchase a Samsung QLED as a gaming TV.

Soldato
So I'm playing dark pictures little hope and noticed how much flickering there is (the game has a lot of scenes with contrasting near black with bright highlights).

now I thought this was a 4k 120hz exclusive issue so I switched to 60hz but it still occurs

many ideas why? Maybe because the gpu is Hdmi 2.1 the tv is by default having issues even if the resolution and refresh fits in the old Hdmi 2.0 spec? So maybe I need to use an old Hdmi 2.0 cable?

Soldato
Peak brightness should be off in SDR, high in HDR and I personally don’t like dynamic tone mapping so disable it, most streaming content is Dolby Vision so unaffected by dynamic tone mapping any way and I use HGIG for games and my Panasonic UHD player has a HDR optimiser which is better than the built in dynamic tone mapping.
So I'm playing dark pictures little hope and noticed how much flickering there is (the game has a lot of scenes with contrasting near black with bright highlights).

now I thought this was a 4k 120hz exclusive issue so I switched to 60hz but it still occurs

many ideas why? Maybe because the gpu is Hdmi 2.1 the tv is by default having issues even if the resolution and refresh fits in the old Hdmi 2.0 spec? So maybe I need to use an old Hdmi 2.0 cable?
Do you have a brand new hdmi 2.1 amp, as there are some issues with some of them iirc.

Back
Top Bottom