LG CX (C10) OLED 2020 Thread

Soldato
Not really mate, the 77GX, 77WX and the 77 AG9/AH9 will all have better binned 77” panels than the CX

Can you provide a source for this? I'm pretty much sure LG themselves said they don't do this.
Also historically panel variability between C, E, W ranges have all been very similar (aka there have been awful C, E and W panels with banding throughout the years

If this is just your own speculation or here-say.. then please present it as such. Otherwise some evidence and data would be nice. :)

If my next CX replacement is a duff, I'll have to get the GX :D I just love the wafer thin panel floating in the air but oh well.

Or maybe its god telling me to buy a JVC NX7 and ditch these tiny displays lol [/s].

Soldato
Can you provide a source for this? I'm pretty much sure LG themselves said they don't do this.
Also historically panel variability between C, E, W ranges have all been very similar (aka there have been awful C, E and W panels with banding throughout the years

If this is just your own speculation or here-say.. then please present it as such. Otherwise some evidence and data would be nice. :)

If my next CX replacement is a duff, I'll have to get the GX :D I just love the wafer thin panel floating in the air but oh well.

Or maybe its god telling me to buy a JVC NX7 and ditch these tiny displays lol [/s].
Vincent from HDTV test mentioned it a while back, it was a production line originally set up for Loewe which is now used for the higher spec models, I have had 3 77AG9s and all three have been far superior to any 77CXs I have seen, in terms of panel uniformity

Last edited:
Soldato
yes - panasonic too if you look back on flatpanels where they discuss panel heatsinks they use, suggested they do their own QC on panels, and, moreover better calibration, where,
additional production steps, you monitor the panel reponse and apply corrective electrical adjustment to those pixel areas .. so, it is not uniquely binning.

edit : https://www.avforums.com/threads/has-anyone-heard-of-oled-panel-grading-done-at-lg.2246900/
https://www.oled-info.com/correctin...lay-quality-improve-production-efficiency-and

Last edited:
Soldato
Vincent from HDTV test mentioned it a while back, it was a production line originally set up for Loewe which is now used for the higher spec models, I have had 3 77AG9s and all three have been far superior to any 77CXs I have seen, in terms of panel uniformity

The 77'' C9 panels were fine generally so the AG9 comparison holds little weight. I'd be interested to see an AG9 manufactured in 2020 around the same date as the very bandy 77'' CX models.
The 77'' CX production run generally seems to have had a bad batch, given all the ones on AVforums are from JL whilst the US ones seem much much better on AVSforums.

Don't really hold a lot of faith in what you're saying based off of 'what vincent said on a youtube video'. Looking for far more definitive proof than that.

Soldato
yes - panasonic too if you look back on flatpanels where they discuss panel heatsinks they use, suggested they do their own QC on panels, and, moreover better calibration, where,
additional production steps, you monitor the panel reponse and apply corrective electrical adjustment to those pixel areas .. so, it is not uniquely binning.

edit : https://www.avforums.com/threads/has-anyone-heard-of-oled-panel-grading-done-at-lg.2246900/
https://www.oled-info.com/correctin...lay-quality-improve-production-efficiency-and

Panasonic's case is VERY different.
They are a fantastic company who install custom heatsinks to their highest grade TVs and do a lot more tweaking to the panels to ensure perfection. No one else in the OLED game is doing what they're doing. How they're able to extract over 200 nits of extra peak brightness is hugely impressive.

Also everything Panasonic do is in reference to the much more expensive, only 65'', 2000 range.

Soldato
The 77'' C9 panels were fine generally so the AG9 comparison holds little weight. I'd be interested to see an AG9 manufactured in 2020 around the same date as the very bandy 77'' CX models.
The 77'' CX production run generally seems to have had a bad batch, given all the ones on AVforums are from JL whilst the US ones seem much much better on AVSforums.

Don't really hold a lot of faith in what you're saying based off of 'what vincent said on a youtube video'. Looking for far more definitive proof than that.
That’s up to you, but someone that’s respected around the world in AV hardware I’m going to trust, I have also worked with AV for a long time.

Listen I’m not dissing your 77CX it’s a great bit of kit the picture it produces is sublime and in truth still should be more expensive than it it, but these things come from one big substrate that’s printed over and over again on production runs, they will know where to cut the sheets to get the best value for money and panels with the least uniformity issues (remember the 77” still have the most uniformity problems), they are not going to put the best uniformity panels into the model at the lowest price point and lowest profit margin. I’m yet to see a bad wallpaper(77W) model but there aren’t that many of them around and if you look over the years the 77W series get very little in price drops.

As I said I have had 3 77AG9 and I’m going back to 65”(HZ2000 to be exact) because the uniformity problems of the 77” are too much for me currently, it’s what I like to call the rainfall streaks that annoy me and I see them all the time and my eyes are drawn to them. I would show you pictures of all 3 of my 77AG9s but I can’t workout how to upload pictures one here

Soldato
That’s up to you, but someone that’s respected around the world in AV hardware I’m going to trust, I have also worked with AV for a long time.

Listen I’m not dissing your 77CX it’s a great bit of kit the picture it produces is sublime and in truth still should be more expensive than it it, but these things come from one big substrate that’s printed over and over again on production runs, they will know where to cut the sheets to get the best value for money and panels with the least uniformity issues (remember the 77” still have the most uniformity problems), they are not going to put the best uniformity panels into the model at the lowest price point and lowest profit margin. I’m yet to see a bad wallpaper(77W) model but there aren’t that many of them around and if you look over the years the 77W series get very little in price drops.

As I said I have had 3 77AG9 and I’m going back to 65”(HZ2000 to be exact) because the uniformity problems of the 77” are too much for me currently, it’s what I like to call the rainfall streaks that annoy me and I see them all the time and my eyes are drawn to them. I would show you pictures of all 3 of my 77AG9s but I can’t workout how to upload pictures one here

Haha there is no dissing any piece of tech or kit. I'm not emotionally attached to any of my tech purchases. If there is a better TV for slightly more money, I'll buy it :D
I just want the facts separated from the rumours as otherwise I'll end up wasting £1000 and a few hours to find out that the uniformity issues are just a panel lottery.

I wish Panasonic did 77'' OLEDs. I couldn't go back to 65'' as its too tiny. Otherwise the HZ2000 looks fantastic, and I love Panasonic generally after having owned a 902B for a while. If the replacement CX sucks, I'll try a GX. If that sucks, I might just go back to projectors as even 77'' looks fairly small after using a 100'' image for so long.

But then again.. JVC haven't upgraded their line or PJs this year nor Epson.. a really bad year for tech.

Soldato
Haha there is no dissing any piece of tech or kit. I'm not emotionally attached to any of my tech purchases. If there is a better TV for slightly more money, I'll buy it :D
I just want the facts separated from the rumours as otherwise I'll end up wasting £1000 and a few hours to find out that the uniformity issues are just a panel lottery.

I wish Panasonic did 77'' OLEDs. I couldn't go back to 65'' as its too tiny. Otherwise the HZ2000 looks fantastic, and I love Panasonic generally after having owned a 902B for a while. If the replacement CX sucks, I'll try a GX. If that sucks, I might just go back to projectors as even 77'' looks fairly small after using a 100'' image for so long.

But then again.. JVC haven't upgraded their line or PJs this year nor Epson.. a really bad year for tech.
All 3 of my AG9’s have been superior to all of the CX’s I have seen, have you though about trying one of those?

Soldato
All 3 of my AG9’s have been superior to all of the CX’s I have seen, have you though about trying one of those?

I think its better to compare the AG9 to the C9 where uniformity wise they've been around about the same. The reason I state this is The 77'' CX banding panels (the three showcased on AVForums) seem to be from a faulty batch all from John Lewis, purchased at a similar date, as the relevant 77'' panels produced before didn't showcase those issues (C9, C8).

So with such a small sample size, it'd be weird to make strong assumptions on superiority from the AG TVs. Also I'm yet to see any 2020 77'' AG9 sample sizes to make a fair comparison as manufacturing date obviously plays a key role before making broad based assumptions.

And no, the AG9 doesn't have HDMI 2.1, hasn't been refreshed this year. Wouldn't feel comfortable spending £5k on hardware I know will be outdated and missing key features in <9 months.

Soldato
I think its better to compare the AG9 to the C9 where uniformity wise they've been around about the same. The reason I state this is The 77'' CX banding panels (the three showcased on AVForums) seem to be from a faulty batch all from John Lewis, purchased at a similar date, as the relevant 77'' panels produced before didn't showcase those issues (C9, C8).

So with such a small sample size, it'd be weird to make strong assumptions on superiority from the AG TVs. Also I'm yet to see any 2020 77'' AG9 sample sizes to make a fair comparison as manufacturing date obviously plays a key role before making broad based assumptions.

And no, the AG9 doesn't have HDMI 2.1, hasn't been refreshed this year. Wouldn't feel comfortable spending £5k on hardware I know will be outdated and missing key features in <9 months.
Fair enough, the current 77AG9 in front of me is a June2020 build

Soldato
I really should read, I didn't check for a parent thread for this TV, anyway:

I just ordered one last night for the new apartment here in Amsterdam, going to pick it up in a couple of hours. Along side it I bought a cheap sound bar (Sony HT-X8500) to do the job until I decide on a speaker setup (leaning towards Klipsch).

Any odd quirks I should be aware of? Any base custom settings to look for to get it a little bit calibrated?

This will also be my first OLED, however I've owned a couple of plasma's over my time so know of burn in and how to avoid.

Soldato
The latest 3.10.44 update adds BBCiplayer, but strangely its not on the app store, instead you get the BBC green button display on the screen, and pressing the green button takes you into the app.

LG seem to have implemented it differently.

Soldato
The latest 3.10.44 update adds BBCiplayer, but strangely its not on the app store, instead you get the BBC green button display on the screen, and pressing the green button takes you into the app.

Ah so that is what the update is for right now as i write this also said apple tv is now available at one point or has it been on the tv for a while?

[03.10.44]
1. Fix out of sync audio
2. Fix the issue of re-running certain application or rebooting TV

No mention of Iplayer.

Last edited:
Soldato

The green/red button launcher is a broadcast app from the BBC. In other words it's carried in the live signal, not LG's software.

Interesting to know why it's popped up now though.

Soldato
Ah so that is what the update is for right now as i write this also said apple tv is now available at one point or has it been on the tv for a while?

[03.10.44]
1. Fix out of sync audio
2. Fix the issue of re-running certain application or rebooting TV

No mention of Iplayer.

Apple App has been available since CX launch here, must just be something in the update that now makes us aware of any new app.

The green/red button launcher is a broadcast app from the BBC. In other words it's carried in the live signal, not LG's software.

Interesting to know why it's popped up now though.

In any case it launches BBCiplayer now and although I have not tried it myself, others have said it is just like using the BBCiplayer app. The recent LG update made this available, BBC was not broadcasting the green/red button signal prior to this update on the CX.

Back
Top Bottom