LG Flatron M227WD - 1080p TV/Monitor mini review

Associate
i might consider buying this also when i come back from holiday

is there any ghosting ingames with the 5ms response? and can u post some more pics

Soldato
looks like a very good multifunctional screen, want one defo.

but which one 23" or 27" both have the same resolution. seeing as its primary use will be as a television and some people said tv picture is ok nothing special, surely its going to look much better on the smaller model?

Associate
OP
Just ordered one of there based entirely on your brilliant review! Thanks for uploading the pictures as well:D

Hah, thats great to hear. I was looking all over before I bought mine for some piece of mind; thankfully I took the plunge and wanted to let everyone else know how good it is ;)

i might consider buying this also when i come back from holiday

is there any ghosting ingames with the 5ms response? and can u post some more pics

Nope, response time really isn't an issue at all.

looks like a very good multifunctional screen, want one defo.

but which one 23" or 27" both have the same resolution. seeing as its primary use will be as a television and some people said tv picture is ok nothing special, surely its going to look much better on the smaller model?

The DVB tuner is superb, standard TV hasn't looked so sharp and vibrant.

Anyone who has purchased one of these, would be great to hear your opinion or anything you may want to add!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
elpedro, have you tried connecting it to the pc using hdmi cable? What was the effect? Does it run at lower resolution?

Thanks

Hard to describe, it doesn't lower the resolution but the picture isn't as sharp. My old LG set, when you ran HDMI, you could chose between a PC and a Video setting. The PC setting made it pixel perfect sharp, the video setting is what this set (M227WD) looks like. I can't really explain it, but its not as good as the DVI connection for use as a PC monitor.

Maybe someone can better explain this than me who knows what I mean;) Failing that, I could take a photo with my dSLR which should be able to show the difference.

Associate
I'm in the market for a 20"+, 16:9, 1080p monitor/TV. After reading this mini review I almost settled on buying this model but the fact that it can't handle HDMI from a PC has put me off.

I'm now looking at the Samsung SM2333HD, £245 on a competitor's site, looks like a good monitor but I'll be damned if I can find any professional reviews on it.

Associate
I'd be grateful if you could take those pictures.

If you have an ATI gpu, can you, for example, play a 16:9 video on the M227WD at full res while viewing the same video on the 16:10 pc monitor? And what happens if you try to clone the pc monitor? The m227 displays the image stretched or with black bars?

The samsung look promising, but it's also more expensive.

Soldato
I'm in the market for a 20"+, 16:9, 1080p monitor/TV. After reading this mini review I almost settled on buying this model but the fact that it can't handle HDMI from a PC has put me off.

I'm now looking at the Samsung SM2333HD, £245 on a competitor's site, looks like a good monitor but I'll be damned if I can find any professional reviews on it.

Ive used my PC on this TV/Monitor via VGA and DVI and its brillaint.
why are you so hung up on using it via HDMI? whats the big deal ?

Soldato
Hard to describe, it doesn't lower the resolution but the picture isn't as sharp. My old LG set, when you ran HDMI, you could chose between a PC and a Video setting. The PC setting made it pixel perfect sharp, the video setting is what this set (M227WD) looks like. I can't really explain it, but its not as good as the DVI connection for use as a PC monitor.

Maybe someone can better explain this than me who knows what I mean;) Failing that, I could take a photo with my dSLR which should be able to show the difference.

just to shadow what elpedro has said there is something just not quite right with a pc connected via HDMI on this model.
as ive already said to someone else here its perfect via VGA and DVI.

Soldato
Not a review as such just my opinion on this set having owned it for a couple of months.

as a computer monitor its absolutely flawless "in my opinion".
if viewing angles are a big deal then some caution is required.

if for example you are watching a movie laying down and the monitor is positioned high up then despite a small tilt forward option you can notice the screen struggling to hold its clairity. oddly the screen tilts upwards more than down.

the built in freeview picture is loverly and ive seen a lot worse, for example on my previous screen a samsung R74 the picture didnt come close to this screen. the speakers considering they are only 3w's each are adequate for catching sky news ect but i prefer my headphones for movie viewing and thats just fine. talking of sky, i have my sky+ box connected via scart and its a notch up in quality from freeview so very happy there.

I also have my Xbox360 hooked up to it via HDMI and its auto upscaled to the native screen resolution 1920X1080 (1080p) and its sharp and full of life and no blurring or ghosting on fast moving games such as Forza 2.

Soldato
How are the vertical viewing angles mate? Do you know what type of panel it is? Looking at getting the 27" version...

be careful as the 27" model on the LG site describes this size as "TV format".
which i beleive means the actual panel size is square and can only produce a widescreen picture with black bars at the top and bottom.

Associate
Ive used my PC on this TV/Monitor via VGA and DVI and its brillaint.
why are you so hung up on using it via HDMI? whats the big deal ?

It's just nice to have options, given the choice I'd rather have a monitor capable of handling a HDMI signal from a PC/laptop than one that can't.

Still for the price it does look like a fantastic monitor regardless of the HDMI issues. :)

Soldato
just to add some pictures.
please note that dust and scratches (piano black) have been exaggerated ten fold through the cam lense and isnt noticable in the real world.

pic2.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

Associate
OP
I'd be grateful if you could take those pictures

OK, sorry that the angles aren't exact, but it is still clear to see the clarity difference between the two connections. If someone could explain this, I would be grateful as I cannot understand why a 1080p signal can appear different on a native 1080p set :confused:

dvi.png

hdmi.png

Like i said, previously I used a LG 22LS4D, when connected via HDMI, you could toggle between a PC mode and a Video mode, the video mode looked blotchy like in the photo above and the PC mode was pixel perfect like the DVI photo. I have no idea why LG haven't incorporated that feature in this newer model; made me have to buy a DVI cable having already forked out for a gold plated HDMI :(

And anyone who is wondering, my desktop background is a carbon fibre custom Bugatti Veyron, my one ofc :p

Last edited:
Associate
thanks elpedro i have ordered one of these 22" LG monitors & your mini review helped me make the final decission.i currently have the 24" Dell s2409w (really nice image quality) but i need a monitor & tv all in one so i can watch tv & use my ps2,gamecube aswell as PC.

@moving tables nice pics is that 22" or 23" it looks nice & big. :)

Associate
Ha awesome, what's even cooler is I'm guessing you found this review via google as that was your first post on this forum;)

i always use google & it never let me down:) but i had to wait 1-2 days for a mod to validate my membership here so i can say thank you :mad: :p btw i just tracked my order & its due tomorrow ;) i hope there wont be any dead pixels on my screen.

oh yeah i called LG regarding their pixel policy & they said if you have 1 coloured pixel stuck in the middle of the screen then they consider this as a faulty screen & they will swap it or if you have 10 black pixels anywhere on the screen.my Dell s2409w came with a special pixel perfect warranty for 3 years.the online seller i bought it from has a special deal with Dell.

Soldato
thanks elpedro i have ordered one of these 22" LG monitors & your mini review helped me make the final decission.i currently have the 24" Dell s2409w (really nice image quality) but i need a monitor & tv all in one so i can watch tv & use my ps2,gamecube aswell as PC.

@moving tables nice pics is that 22" or 23" it looks nice & big. :)

22" :)

Associate
Yeah, thanks for the review, very detailed and significantly tempting as I'm looking at a number of upgrades including finally replacing my mitsubishi diamondtron monster crt!

Back
Top Bottom