LG Flatron M227WD - 1080p TV/Monitor mini review

Associate
Just received mine and I am very impressed! The amount of inputs this thing has for the price is great. The picture is very good quality, especially when watching blu-rays. The digital signal quality is also pretty good as well. The only drawback are the speakers that come with the television, they are tinny, hardly any depth to them. It doesn't matter though because I've connected my computers audio out into the audio in on the monitor, and then put my speakers through the headphone socket on the TV. Overall it does the job very well, and i highly recommend it, especially for £190!

Associate
OP
Just received mine and I am very impressed! The amount of inputs this thing has for the price is great. The picture is very good quality, especially when watching blu-rays. The digital signal quality is also pretty good as well. The only drawback are the speakers that come with the television, they are tinny, hardly any depth to them. It doesn't matter though because I've connected my computers audio out into the audio in on the monitor, and then put my speakers through the headphone socket on the TV. Overall it does the job very well, and i highly recommend it, especially for £190!

Great stuff, exactly what I've done with my speakers too :D Can't believe the prices are dropping, mine was £203 when I wrote this review :p

Associate
@elpedro
i got my LG M227WD yesterday & this is what i think of it so far:
1-going from 24" to 22" screen was a good move because 24" is too big if you sit directly infront of your pc also this 22" looks big.
2-ps2 games look superb through component. :)
3-tv is excellent.im using indoor (slx digitop) & i got every channel so the receiver is very good.
4-pc resolution is exactly what i used to have 1920x1080 full hd.best
5-pc gaming is much better on 22" than 24" because i sit very close to the monitor & i can focus easier on all the action going on the screen.
6-the remote control is a HUGE YES because i no longer have to keep pressing buttons (sometimes the wrong buttons :p) to change between monitor inputs or image settings. love it. ;)
7- no dead pixels. :)
8-colors are very rich & look slightly better on this LG monitor than they do on our expensive 37" lcd hdtv.
9-best monitor i have ever bought.(tv,pc,console all are handled very well by this monitor).really happy & can't wait for my psp's component cable to arrive.
10-i've tested few of my pc games yesterday on my new LG & they look awesome (gta iv & pure).to get great image quality the contrast has to be set high on both the monitor menu & ati catalyst.

2 bad things:

1-speakers dont sound good but i never use them anyway i always use my HS820 philips headphones & quality is perfect.

2- my screen suffers from a slight backlight bleeding on top & bottom of the screen only visible on my black wallpaper (changed it for this reason to colorful wallpaper which looks so beautiful),its not a problem really because it doesn't affect anything (watching tv,playing games...etc) but my Dell didn't have such a thing,is yours the same if not should i return mine for replacement?

here is my new wallpaper which looks awesome:
tulipsvector1920x1080.jpg

Associate
OP
2- my screen suffers from a slight backlight bleeding on top & bottom of the screen only visible on my black wallpaper (changed it for this reason to colorful wallpaper which looks so beautiful),its not a problem really because it doesn't affect anything (watching tv,playing games...etc) but my Dell didn't have such a thing,is yours the same if not should i return mine for replacement?

All LCDs suffer from some form of backlight bleeding, but in all honesty what you mentioned isn't obvious at all on my set. I viewed a solid black image on full screen, there's the smallest amount of bleed on the bottom, next to nothing from the top or corners.

I'm not sure what LG's warranty is like with backlight bleeding, and it could just be your eyes are more sensitive to it than mine. Like you said, unless you have a solid black image on the screen, you cannot see it.

Anyway, other than that, I see there are a whole load of positives you've taken from this set. Most 1920x1200 16:10 screens are 24", with this being the same amount of pixels wide but only 22", you get a sharper image I feel. I went from a 22" 1680x1050 to this and I cannot tell you how much cleaner it looks. I agree with the colours being superb, we have a 37" Philips 1080p TV in the lounge, the colours aren't as good as the LG's.

Associate
true the image is so sharp been 22" & full HD 1080p,as i said the slight backlight bleeding is no big deal & does not affect anything,its the best monitor i have ever bought.i have defenitily made the right choice thanks to my ps2 the main reason i bought a monitor with component input. :D

buy buy buy 10/10 ;)

Associate
I saw this TV the other day and I'm really tempted to get it as it looks great for the price. Your review has really made me want to get one now

I have got one question though. You say that it's possible to output audio from PC to the TV then connect your speakers to the TV. Does it have outputs for 5.1 and what form of input for this does it have?

Thanks

Associate
OP
returned mine to E***** because the backlight bleeding got worse so they sent me a replacement & to my shock they sent me a customer's returned monitor with a dead pixel in the middle & finger marks all over the screen & a long scratch at the bottom.i'm really upset with this kind of service,them trying to sell me a customer's return is not on. now i'm going back to my 24" s2409w Dell monitor until i see the LG on good offer from a decent company.

Thats pretty rotton luck. As I and someone else mentioned on this thread, the backlight bleed is barely noticeable so you must have been pretty unlucky. I hope it was by accident they sent you the B grade monitor :(

Associate
OP
I saw this TV the other day and I'm really tempted to get it as it looks great for the price. Your review has really made me want to get one now

I have got one question though. You say that it's possible to output audio from PC to the TV then connect your speakers to the TV. Does it have outputs for 5.1 and what form of input for this does it have?

Thanks

I'm not too sure how the audio works. I know it outputs Dolby Digital via the optical out connection. Hope that helps

Associate
(For my first post) I have a quick question - can the base be removed if I plan to wall mount this TV? I would assume so, but from the photos posted, I can't see any obvious screw holes or any other way that it might slide off. Has anyone wall mounted theirs?

Thanks for any info.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
(For my first post) I have a quick question - can the base be removed if I plan to wall mount this TV? I would assume so, but from the photos posted, I can't see any obvious screw holes or any other way that it might slide off. Has anyone wall mounted theirs?

Thanks for any info.

Yes, the base stand is removable and yes it is VESA mounting compliant :D

Cummon OcUK - you must have noticed the views this thread has, get them in stock ;)

Associate
2 days ago friend of mine emailed me to tell me these monitors are going for £166 inc p&p from some UK retailer so i thought why not buy one i really loved the image quality of this monitor & the fact that i need component input for my ps2 & psp so i ordered one over the phone today & its due for delivery tomorrow by parcelforce ;) they are very nice to talk to + their prices are probably the cheapest,£24 cheaper than E******.

Associate
got mine today,brand new NO dead pixels but if backlight set to anything above 25% from the menu then slight Backlight Bleed appears at the top of this screen ,i dont know if this backlight bleeding will go (maybe but i doubt it) this is LG quality for you (my Dell s2409w had no backlight bleed issues).i'm more than happy with what this monitor offers & specially the amazing picture quality (best i have seen thus far) & rich colours. this monitor is the real deal.

Last edited:
Associate
Similar to the LG M2394D 23"

~elpedro

So, is that to say the LG M2394D 23” is essentially a size up, and would have similar performance?

I can't quite work out whether being just 22" is a down fall (maybe I'm buying into the whole 'bigger is better' ideology, I just get the impression I won't feel the need to upgrade again in a hurry) or a bonus (I will be sitting quite close, and have come to love the obscene quality of 1600x1200 on my 17" CRT so may be more toned to high-pixel-density than I realise).

LG actually quote it as being 21.5" on their site :p

Excuse the abuse of brackets there.

hypersonic said:
Going from an OC 24" Digimate ( with VA panel ) to this I was a bit unsure if I'd done the right thing but it is excellent. All the inputs you could wish for and the built-in DTV tuner is very good. I have mine connected via optical out to my TC Konnekt 48 and KRK VXT6 monitors. I used to have a USB TV stick to show TV on the Digimate but this is MUCH better. Picture quality is good if you sit 2 - 3 metres away. Blu-Ray from my laptop via HDMI looks stunning. Xbox running at 720P or 1080P looks stunning( HDMI ). rFactor at 1920x1080 maxed out from pc via DVI looks stunning . On my OC Digimate 24" screen it looked really good but the LG looks 3D and refresh rate is much better .

That is also extremely interesting. TFT Central recommended your old monitor for my needs (watching film 1st, photography and images 2nd), but I was a little sceptical considering its age. It's reassuring to know that these VA panels are still holding their weight against P-MVA. :)

Associate
I just received my M227WD, thanks again elpedro for your review. It is really the only one i've found on the net.

About the monitor itself, what can i say.. It's beautiful, the image from PC is great even on VGA (haven't tried DVI yet), the view angles are very good and the remote control is just the right size. What i don't like is the backlight bleeding on the upper side, and the speakers. But overall it's a great monitor.

Back
Top Bottom