LG Flatron M227WD - 1080p TV/Monitor mini review

Soldato
Hi Jedi, u'll need to save ur pictures to an online site like photobucket and then link them from there. AFAIK u cant link to ur own harddrive.

Re the picture, TV picture on mine is pretty good but some channels break up, i put this down to the aerial as i can fix them by wiggling the cable. Not tried any other connections yet!

Associate
P1010048.jpg

Associate
As you can see text is not defined, and even gentle hand movement is blurred. Aerial strength is strong, showing 100% on quality and strength. Getting perfect pictures quality on my Pioneer Freeview TV.

Associate
One thing maybe u guys can help with: did any of u manage to remove the red bit at the bottom so u could take the stand out and wall mount it? If so, how? It is screwed in obviously but then also feels like it's glued on?!

Yes, you have to remove 6 screws from the base, then prise the red plastic base panel away to get at the stub of the stand, then remove 4 more screws holding the rest of the stand. Then replace the red plastic panel.

A bit more involved than it should be, but it's only a 2 minute job.

Soldato
I removed the screws but couldnt bring myself to pry the red away, it feels to securely set and i dont waana snap it :eek: maybe i should try again. Did u use any tools to prize it off evenly?

Suspended
Hello Conscept, Thanx for the responce. On Freeview I am seeing very fuzzy pictures, have tried various settings, no improvement. If your Freeview pictures are viewable from less than 3 feet I must have a faulty model. Will post picture as soon as I work out how.

I wouldn't know, I purchased for PC / Gaming only. And I know it also looks amazing when playing my Blurays.

Associate
Hi guys,
I am posting here right after i found a solution to my problem, i guess i didn't wanted to ask before i tried.
So it begins like this, i had a 24'' Imac Core 2 Duo Extreme 2,8 GHz, the screen on that thing made any LCD look down on shame... thrust me when u pay that amount of money for an Imac u get the best quality for your money. A few weeks ago i managed to burn the motherboard and as it was out of international warranty, i chose to let it go... i just didn't wanted to pay 600 Euro just for the motherboard.
So i found myself striped of the viewing pleasure of that gorgeous 24 inch screen. I bought a macbook and i started searching for decent display at around 300 Euro ( I'm from Romania and that's how much u have to pay t get a decent LCD).
From the shelves, from looks , quality price ratio, i chose the LG M227WD, i am not a fun of middle ranged priced products but hey, i didn't want to burn any expensive gear in the near future :).
For my set-up, macbook + monitor i had to buy a extra cable ( mini DVI to VGA - it's an Apple standard ) and connect it to the vga cable that came with the LG ( the mini DVI - DVA cable costs around 30 Euros :D). When i got home i thought that i got ripped of because the image quality was really bad on VGA...text on full res had a shade of grey around it, thrust me, it was tragic ... the step down from the 24'' Imac display to a 22 Panel LCD... was as if i just cut out one of my eyes... tragic...
I thought OK, i have a Apple computer it might not be fully compatible to the windows world so i got one of my buddies to link the display to his Toshiba notebook...and yes same low end, bellow any normal specifications image quality. I thought that it was broken and that i should swap it back or take it back to the provider in warranty.
I put a Samsung monitor 22'' on my macbook, that was crystal clear....half priced than the LG...
Before taking this pice o crap back - the LG i mean,...i tried to buy another mini DVI- to DVI cable, and went along to try with that, surprise ... the display lived up to it's middle range product name...
I must mention that it is manufactured in Poland, i don't know if that's any mark for bad VGA connection, but guys u really augment the quality of this device when in fact is a low priced monitor that offers a lot of poor quality connectors... I convinced myself once again why I buy apple products, u pay more but u get high end components. It was my mistake on thinking that PC world had changed...it was my mistake into thinking that maybe a low priced product could really offer an above medium experience. Yes it has a lot of connectors but half of them are crap...
The HDMI connector functions properly but thrust me .... at 1080p my PS3 looks gorgeous on my EPSON projector, while on this display i can count the points where an oblic lines brakes..it's really unpleasant to the eye...

For me this is a poor quality device for the many u end up paying...

Associate
hi i came across this review after doing a search for a review of the m227wd and based on this review i bought it a couple of days ago . ill be using it mainly as a tv in the bedroom but occasionally ill view the odd hd movie on it via my laptop but what is the best way to get the best definition ?
vga to vga cable supplied with tv or
vga to dvi or
hdmi cable

thanks

Associate
OP
hi i came across this review after doing a search for a review of the m227wd and based on this review i bought it a couple of days ago . ill be using it mainly as a tv in the bedroom but occasionally ill view the odd hd movie on it via my laptop but what is the best way to get the best definition ?
vga to vga cable supplied with tv or
vga to dvi or
hdmi cable

thanks

PC use DVI
Consoles/Blu Ray/Sky+ use HDMI

Associate
OP
Hi guys,
I am posting here right after i found a solution to my problem, i guess i didn't wanted to ask before i tried.
So it begins like this, i had a 24'' Imac Core 2 Duo Extreme 2,8 GHz, the screen on that thing made any LCD look down on shame... thrust me when u pay that amount of money for an Imac u get the best quality for your money. A few weeks ago i managed to burn the motherboard and as it was out of international warranty, i chose to let it go... i just didn't wanted to pay 600 Euro just for the motherboard.
So i found myself striped of the viewing pleasure of that gorgeous 24 inch screen. I bought a macbook and i started searching for decent display at around 300 Euro ( I'm from Romania and that's how much u have to pay t get a decent LCD).
From the shelves, from looks , quality price ratio, i chose the LG M227WD, i am not a fun of middle ranged priced products but hey, i didn't want to burn any expensive gear in the near future :).
For my set-up, macbook + monitor i had to buy a extra cable ( mini DVI to VGA - it's an Apple standard ) and connect it to the vga cable that came with the LG ( the mini DVI - DVA cable costs around 30 Euros :D). When i got home i thought that i got ripped of because the image quality was really bad on VGA...text on full res had a shade of grey around it, thrust me, it was tragic ... the step down from the 24'' Imac display to a 22 Panel LCD... was as if i just cut out one of my eyes... tragic...
I thought OK, i have a Apple computer it might not be fully compatible to the windows world so i got one of my buddies to link the display to his Toshiba notebook...and yes same low end, bellow any normal specifications image quality. I thought that it was broken and that i should swap it back or take it back to the provider in warranty.
I put a Samsung monitor 22'' on my macbook, that was crystal clear....half priced than the LG...
Before taking this pice o crap back - the LG i mean,...i tried to buy another mini DVI- to DVI cable, and went along to try with that, surprise ... the display lived up to it's middle range product name...
I must mention that it is manufactured in Poland, i don't know if that's any mark for bad VGA connection, but guys u really augment the quality of this device when in fact is a low priced monitor that offers a lot of poor quality connectors... I convinced myself once again why I buy apple products, u pay more but u get high end components. It was my mistake on thinking that PC world had changed...it was my mistake into thinking that maybe a low priced product could really offer an above medium experience. Yes it has a lot of connectors but half of them are crap...
The HDMI connector functions properly but thrust me .... at 1080p my PS3 looks gorgeous on my EPSON projector, while on this display i can count the points where an oblic lines brakes..it's really unpleasant to the eye...

For me this is a poor quality device for the many u end up paying...

Sorry to hear that, there is however massive contradiction in your post where you state you pay more for quality yet you are using the older, lower quality analogue VGA connection.

This display hooked up to a PC with DVI looks fantastic, I've seen a lot of the Apple monitors, they are very good but the LG certainly isn't inferior quality.

Associate
cheers mate but my laptop ony has a hdmi or vga so would vga to dvi lead be better than vga to vga ?
thanks

As long as VGA is in the equation the quality won't be any better, however if you use a HDM > DVI addaptor or cable and connect your laptops HDMI to the monitors DVI connector you will see a marked improvement.

Associate
Sorry to hear that, there is however massive contradiction in your post where you state you pay more for quality yet you are using the older, lower quality analogue VGA connection.

This display hooked up to a PC with DVI looks fantastic, I've seen a lot of the Apple monitors, they are very good but the LG certainly isn't inferior quality.

yeah, i am just used when i buy something to work jut fine when it's out of the box that's why i use a vga adaptor that came with the monitor...maybe it's a sorry decision for LG go standard VGA instead of DVI that would show the monitor's great performances.. anieway, a half priced monitor would show the same quality on vga than LG on DVI...i had it tested...

Associate
I removed the screws but couldnt bring myself to pry the red away, it feels to securely set and i dont waana snap it :eek: maybe i should try again. Did u use any tools to prize it off evenly?

Just a flat blade screwdriver to get it started, then my fingers. Don't be afraid to use a bit of force ;)

Associate

Which Samsung model are you talking about though?
I'm eager to get a decent 22" lcd at the moment!

Anyone have any thoughts on how the LG W2353V compares to the M227WD in this thread? :)

I would also love to know how this monitor compares,
I'm interested in the 22" version, the W2253V-PF, and I'm interested in the lower price, and higher specs at the cost of less connectivity.
icon14.gif

Associate
OP
Anyone have any thoughts on how the LG W2353V compares to the M227WD in this thread? :)

Its a good monitor, the M227WD is a TV/Monitor, hence it has a digital TV tuner built right into it along with a few more TV connections (scart, composite, HDMI) and comes with a remote.

The W2353V is purely a monitor, hope that helps ;)

Back
Top Bottom