LG1980U Mini Review

Associate
Well i got my today, looks like it might have to go back :(
touch sensitive buttons are playing up, monitor start to turn it self on and off.

and now none of the buttons work :(

wsh

wsh

Associate
Originally posted by draken
Well i got my today, looks like it might have to go back :(
touch sensitive buttons are playing up, monitor start to turn it self on and off.

and now none of the buttons work :(

Thats bad news. I hope the return goes smoothly.

wsh

wsh

Associate
Originally posted by jamjar
Sounds cool,when is this due if you know ...?

The 1980Q has just been shown at the Consumer Electronics Show Las Vegas last month and all the web pages on google concerning it are from japan. I cannot find any info on the 1981Q.

My 1980U TFT was manufactured week 12, 2004 and they just came out in the UK last monday so going by that we could be in for a wait for the 1980Q!

wsh

wsh

Associate
Do you folks with the 1980U also see the cross hatching whenever there is movement on the screen?

Associate
Originally posted by wsh
Thats bad news. I hope the return goes smoothly.

Seem to me she want to work now, so ill have to see how it goes. TBH I hope I don’t have to send it back, because the place I got it are one hell of place to get in contact, didn’t know this till after I placed the order.

Besides that it one hell of good looking monitor, very bright, maybe too bright, but with a bit of fiddle I got it to a good level. I do like the touch sensitive buttons; I wish that the monitor would go higher then it does.

Soldato
The name of the monitor is LG L1980U and not LG1980U.

Tried searching using the latter and found out that

"lg(1 980) atomic mass units = 1.81850244 × 10-26 kilograms"

...which was nice

Man of Honour
yeah indeed it is, just it's known as the LG 1980U (without the extra L) as it's easier to remember anyway :) and all their old ones are referred to in this way too (ie LG 1720B, LG1710B etc)

wsh

wsh

Associate
I have what I think is a software problem. Even though I've set it using the software to automatically rotate the image when I rotate the screen its not doing it anymore. It worked the previous day but not now. The screen does flash up 90 degrees etc on the pop up menu as I rotate it though.

Anyone else have this with theirs?

Soldato
Originally posted by wsh
I have what I think is a software problem. Even though I've set it using the software to automatically rotate the image when I rotate the screen its not doing it anymore. It worked the previous day but not now. The screen does flash up 90 degrees etc on the pop up menu as I rotate it though.

Mine will be arriving today, and as I'll be using it on a Mac I'm guessing the software isn't available :)

wsh

wsh

Associate
Originally posted by wsh

The manual says dont switch it off while rotating it. Its all too easy to do so since it has a large heat sensitive button. I've inadvertently switched it off a few times while rotating. I hope I haven't damaged it somehow and thats why it isn't auto switching. :confused:

Soldato
Hmm. I've just set mine up on my Mac and its noticebly darker at the top than at the bottom. No matter how I set this thing it always is. Picture quality is great, the design is fantastic, but this is just terrible.

I've taken a picture and put it into Photoshop. The top is #224FA2 and the bottom is #3C77D5.

lgmonitor.jpg

:(

Soldato
OP
Originally posted by cyKey
Hmm. I've just set mine up on my Mac and its noticebly darker at the top than at the bottom. No matter how I set this thing it always is. Picture quality is great, the design is fantastic, but this is just terrible.

I've taken a picture and put it into Photoshop. The top is #224FA2 and the bottom is #3C77D5.

lgmonitor.jpg

:(

Something is not right there - RMA it!

Soldato
wsh said:
Do you folks with the 1980U also see the cross hatching whenever there is movement on the screen?
Yes totally. Thats what I'm seeing and its annoying me.

wsh can you contact me on email/msn? I'd like to see if our problems are the same as I'll be RMA'ing this monitor and getting a different brand and I want to make sure that its not TFT's in general.

[email protected] - email
[email protected] - msn

Associate
Comparing this monitor to my own Samsung 191T, the pixels are more noticeable, special when you move your head side to side.

Although the monitor is very bright, it does give better colour then my Samsung does. Beside all that, I will be sending mine off to LG to get it replaced as the monitor intermittent controls, and the monitor has turn it self on every night, and some time wont turn off or turn on.

Soldato
OP
I do think there seems to be a quality control with this LG TFT as the one I reviewed was superb! However the buttons where troublesome and others have noted this too! Where did you get your model from Cykey

Back
Top Bottom