License question - CBT? [One year update]

Man of Honour
I an 51 years old and held a car license since 1987. I would like to get my motorbike license.

I always assumed I would have to take a CBT. But looking at these links it suggests that if I have AM on my license then I don't need a CBT? I do indeed have AM but I assume that is simply due to passing my test under older rules in 1987 (it's surprising just how many vehicles I can actually drive on that older license). Can I drive a 125cc without taking my CBT or is that loophole only applicable to a 50cc moped and I still need it for a 125cc?

https://scooterlab.uk/get-on-the-road/#An easy explanation of the licensing route
https://www.thebikeinsurer.co.uk/learner-guides/when-dont-i-need-a-cbt/

Thanks.

Caporegime
Congrats mate, make sure you bring your own helmet & gloves (you'll likely have to in the covid times but even if not, the kit provided is generally manky and stinky).

Man of Honour
OP
Thread update... I have since bought my own helmet, gloves and jacket and today I passed my CBT. Yay \o/

Using my own kit was definitely a nicer approach. The girl also doing a CBT with me struggled to find the right fitting jacket and helmet, and her hands froze with quite thin gloves. I was very toasty and comfortable with great airflow in my helmet. We also got a nod from two bikers while riding, despite us having L plates. I thought that was really nice of them. Thank you :)

My theory test is booked for mid November. I was happy with my instructor today so once I manage to pass it I will use him for Mod 1 and 2. My original plan was to get my license before buying a bike (although I may buy my brothers Vespa as a general runaround, not a replacement for a bigger bike later). But even though I passed CBT today I wasn't comfortable with my clutch, throttle and gear control when pulling away. I'll obviously learn more on Mod 1 but I think I'd like a bit more experience beforehand. I wasn't smooth on that at all and I think I'll be tense on the Mod 1 because of it. So I'm thinking of either taking a couple of ad-hoc lessons with the instructor or maybe buying a cheap used 125 and selling it again later. Not sure which yet. It will obviously be cheaper to just take a few extra lessons. But flipping a 125 would mean I can get a lot more experience. I'll need to look at insurance costs to decide.

Anyway... the journey has started :)

Associate
As said above clutch control will come, but it's worth noting that gloves can have an impact on that.

I have a set of summer gloves, and a set of thick winter gloves, the winter gloves are coming out about now, but it'll take me a ride or two to get used to the clutch again, as I have far less feeling through the thicker winter gloves. Same with boots, and gear changes / rear brake.

So if you're struggling, perhaps try some thinner gloves to better feel for the bite point, until you are comfortable.

Soldato
Please keep us updated on your progress, I've wanted to pass my bike test for a while now and I've always wondered about cost and how much it all costs

Soldato
I did similar last year, I passed my CBT in early November. It's a good time of year to buy a 125. If you can hang on until spring to sell it you should be able to make a profit on it.

Have fun!

Associate
So, to keep OP Hades interested, what are we all riding?

I started in around 1991, and have had a fair few bikes.

One of my favourites was my A reg GPZ 750 - a real classic :)

We currently have the little Honda CMX 500 twin Rebel - a nice, relaxing bobber to pobble around on :)

Man of Honour
OP
any updates op
Yes indeedy, thanks for asking :)

I passed my CBT. My theory was booked for November but was a casualty of the second lockdown. I managed to rebook it for end December. I haven't booked the rest of my training yet because I want to pass the theory before doing so. But I've been hearing that Mod 1 and Mod 2 training and tests are also significantly delayed and I am not likely to get a date before spring. So I took a decision to get a YBR 125 to practice on and then sell when I eventually get a license. It takes the pressure off a little and I get a lot more experience before my DAS course. I also finished getting my gear and added boots and trousers to the jacket, gloves and helmet I already had. It's not the ideal time of year and frankly it's chuffing cold. But it's also good fun.

Associate
Yes indeedy, thanks for asking :)

I passed my CBT. My theory was booked for November but was a casualty of the second lockdown. I managed to rebook it for end December. I haven't booked the rest of my training yet because I want to pass the theory before doing so. But I've been hearing that Mod 1 and Mod 2 training and tests are also significantly delayed and I am not likely to get a date before spring. So I took a decision to get a YBR 125 to practice on and then sell when I eventually get a license. It takes the pressure off a little and I get a lot more experience before my DAS course. I also finished getting my gear and added boots and trousers to the jacket, gloves and helmet I already had. It's not the ideal time of year and frankly it's chuffing cold. But it's also good fun.
awesome to hear ;D my cbt is at the end of the month. cant wait to join you in complaining about the cold :D. Excited to ride around

Man of Honour
OP
A little update to this thread. It's amazingly almost a year old now. After several delays due to COVID, I owned a YBR 125 through winter and summer. I passed my full license earlier this month, sold the YBR, embraced my inner hipster and bought a used neo retro bike, a Triumph T120.

I now pretend to be Richard Gere in An Officer and a Gentleman whenever I roll off the driveway :D

It's funny looking back how nervous I was on my CBT. I was gripping the handlebars like my life depended on it. Which I guess it kind of does :) I found clutch and gear control tricky on the CBT too. So, combined with test delays, I got the YBR to get some experience in my own time. I still don't regret the decision and it did exactly what I wanted it to do. I learned to relax and made a few mistakes in my own time on a slower bike. I learned a lot. It also helped me to be sure that biking was for me and understand what I wanted out of a bike. I sold the YBR at a small profit which mostly offset the insurance cost. So I ran the bike for a year at almost no cost at all. It also helped me get used to basic bike maintenance such as chain adjustment. No regrets at all - it was the right move for me.

I passed my Mod 1 in June and my Mod 2 mid August, followed by an almost immediate upgrade to a bigger bike. I think it is from this point which the 125 has helped. The change in weight and power of the bike is significant (from a 125cc to a 1200cc) and the 125 helped make bikes more familiar. I think I'd have crashed the new bike now if I hadn't ridden a 125 for months and just relied on the Mod 1 and 2 instruction. As it is, I nearly blasted myself off the back of it the first time I accelerated to join a motorway :D I also had to do a genuine emergency swerve to avoid a lorries shed load on the M40 about half an hour after getting the new bike.

I am completely hooked on riding now. I really love it and what started out last year as a bucket list item has turned into a new hobby and passion.

Now to gradually replace all my high vis gear and dress like a black ninja at night... :D (kidding)

Caporegime
That's fantastic to hear mate, well done :)

I've got my CBT in October, really looking forward to it. Probably going to do it your way too, a year on a little 125 and then move on. I'll likely be taking every rung up the ladder as I go, from a 125, CRF250, RC390, CBR500, etc. I used to ride mopeds as a kid which I absolutely loved too, I lost it when I moved to London and got married, but I suspect it'll be back with a vengeance.

I was sitting on a Grom the other day, such awesome little bikes. I'd love one, shame it'd be nicked within a week. I really like the look of the Keeway K-Lite, and Keeway seems to be the best of the Chinese bikes and it'll never get stolen.

NwHxMb8.jpeg

Associate
Yeah, saw that about the van in the other thread. I hate getting stuck behind a vehicle I can't see through, will usually do anything I can (legally, ofc) to get out from behind and preferably in front. Worst thing is when the buggers just sit in the outside lane of the motorway blocking everyone's visibility.

Back
Top Bottom