Life in the UK test/exam - best way to wing it?

Associate
A lot of people who live in the U.K. wouldn’t get most of them answers right.

That is no way a valid test to see if you know about life in the U.K.

It should cover queueing and holding places, the correct order to put jam and cream on a scone (and the pronunciation) and the proper way to make a cup/mug of tea.

The whole thing should then devolve into an argument about each of those processes and you are then allocated your choice of regions to live in based upon your combination of responses, which will be incorrect regardless.

We could throw in the best way to eat a custard slice to weed out the ones who haven't done any research.

Man of Honour
Is that about the countries or the anthems, though? "God save the Queen" is a mediocre anthem. I find "Scotland the Brave" more moving and I'm not at all Scottish.

A bit of each, certainly as the voices of the crowd swell with, “AUX ARMES CITOYENS!” my eyes blur a bit, but it’s quite a bit to do with pride in the country too.

It should cover queueing and holding places, the correct order to put jam and cream on a scone (and the pronunciation) and the proper way to make a cup/mug of tea.

The whole thing should then devolve into an argument about each of those processes and you are then allocated your choice of regions to live in based upon your combination of responses, which will be incorrect regardless.

We could throw in the best way to eat a custard slice to weed out the ones who haven't done any research.

That would see me being deported, or transported to whatever colonies U.K. still has.
I’m au fait with queuing, and holding someone’s place, but jam and or cream? Gimme a break.
Just the smell of tea makes me nauseous, coffee only for me, and I remember that the custard or cream used to ooze from the sides of the custard slice, so I’d lick that rather than let it drop to the plate, but I probably haven’t had one since I was around 14 or 15.

Man of Honour
The only thing GStQ has going for it, is that it's short. Often only playing the very first section and ditching the rest.

Some national anthems go on for hours...

But yeah, GStQ is not something that will inspire many people, tbh. I have no ill feeling to the Queen and her brood, but it's time for our national anthem to be changed to something more appropriate. Maybe God Save Wetherspoons?

Only if there's an equal distribution of Wetherspoons throughout the UK and even then some nationalists would interpret the figures to make political capital out of it.

Maybe we could do a bit of trolling the world and change our national anthem to "Barbie Girl". I'd get a laugh out of that. Imagine everyone pretending to take it seriously at sporting events and suchlike. Hmm...I just looked it up and found that it's Dutch/Norwegian. Ah well, close enough.

A vaguely serious suggestion would be the "Land of Hope and Glory" version of Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance number 1.

Associate
@Jean-F Not to worry, all answers are subject to interpretations of the correct and proper British way, therefore all respondents will automatically pass if they engage in a good old debate or 'heated exchange of differing opinion on why your way is wrong'.

You are, of course, spot on about the custard slice :D.

Back
Top Bottom