Life. Where am I heading?

Permabanned
Right then. I am 19 years old, going on 20 and, to be quite honest, still a bit unsure about what to do with my life and all that. I am currently doing The London Knowledge (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Knowledge#The_Knowledge). However, as I progress through it, I am still not sure whether it is the right thing to do. Taxi driving as a career feels like a piece of the puzzle of life that I am trying to bang into place with my fist but it doesn't quite fit. It certainly has it's benefits, such as working whenever you like, pretty good earning potential (though I'll never be rich and no bosses or anyone to answer to. This sounded good in theory to me, but I can't help that the job will lack...substance somehow.
The way I think of it, if I am dead, I will look back on life and ask, "What did you spend most of your life doing?" I can only respond with "driving people around London". It seems to me that there isn't any achievement or anything to really shoot for in the job.

Okay, so I don't do the knowledge, what do I do instead? Obvious answer would be Uni, but to be honest, I have no idea what course I would take. Most people would continue subjects they enjoyed, but I always thought if you're going to uni, do something that will help you get a career in a chosen field afterwards. Again a problem, I have absolutely zero idea of what I want to do afterwards. I really don't like the idea of just "falling into a job" either. I would want to set my sights on something, no doubt in my mind and just do it. A lot of people would take an interest they already have and develop a career plan around this. Yet another hurdle, I have very few, if any, interests that would make a decent career. The only thing that comes remotely close to something I'd like to continue after uni would be nuclear or astrophysics, but A my A levels are all wrong for that degree and B I think I would struggle with it and C, where would I take it after Uni? Maybe I just have my head in the clouds and people don't go out and find their true calling and that life is a hard grind and a job is just a way of getting money. I don't know.

I guess the main point from this is just maybe some advice you could give and how you all managed to get through the real decision making moments like this in life.

Consigliere
Just off the top of my head, this could always lead to executive private hire car companies - perhaps set up your own? You'd have the knowledge after all.

Perhaps think over things differently - sure you drove people around London but you gave people an insight into your city, you provided people with brand new experiences, sights and sounds whilst perhaps meeting strange and exciting people everyday. :)

Could wait and see how things turn out and perhaps stick at it for a year saving up for University. And with regards to University, there are hundreds of courses and hundreds of Universities dotted all over the UK (Or even abroad?)..i suggest you browse www.ucas.com for courses and see what you can find.

Hope i've helped a bit. :p

Permabanned
OP
I'm about 2 or 3 months into the knowledge and I still think I have over 2 years left yet. Saving up for uni is a bit out of the question since I have to keep a car and a motorbike running and I only work weekends. I earn enough just to get by. Executive car company is an idea, though I doubt I have the determination to see something like that through, at least at the moment. Also it is a solo job and to be honest, I don't have that many friends and a lonely job will not help this.

Associate
Maybe you could do something like an HNC or HND part-time at a local college? That would then act as a stepping stone to get you into Uni at a later date, or it might give you enough experience to know if further study is really what you would want to do.

Associate
'The knowledge' is what London (black cab?) taxi drivers learn to qualify, so they can find any ware their passengers need to go as fast as possible.

But Keylow, I know what you mean. I did four years at uni just because it seemed like a good idea at the time, and now I'm out of it doing a job that in theory could be quite interesting, but is infact dead boring. I've no clearer idea what to do with life or why, but for now its just whatever pays the bills.

Permabanned
OP
what is the knowledge btw.

As GPS can take you everywhere why do you need the "knowledge"?

Saying that getting people from A to B is a good job no?

Have you ever tried using a satnav in the centre of London? They cannot get you round nearly as well as someone who knows the place back to front and inside out.

And as for an HNC/D, I cannot commit time on top of the knowledge.

Caporegime
I'm in the same, currently working in a call centre, hate the job can't stand talking to people all day really depressing job.

Done a HND in college in computing but don't know if I want in a job in that field, want something I enjoy doing.

Man of Honour
Just off the top of my head, this could always lead to executive private hire car companies - perhaps set up your own? You'd have the knowledge after all.

I think the fares for licensed private hire vehicles are non flexible though, its usually the case anyway. That means whether you turn up in a 1995 Cavalier 1.8LS or a 2005 Mercedes S500 you can only charge the same per mile fare.

Back
Top Bottom