Limoncello

Soldato
Hey all :)

Had lunch at an Italian restaurant this afternoon and finished off with some homemade Limoncello which I could have written next week off with by sitting and drinking it all day!

Has anyone ever made their own?

The process looks quite simple but it seems to make it authentic and for best results some seriously high percentage grain alcohol is needed and I can't seem to find it online anywhere.

Anyone got tips and tricks that has made it before?

SPG

SPG

Soldato
This is the stuff that lives in the bottom of the freezer for years on end and gets brought out when you are allowed to have dinner parties again....

Permabanned
Have not made it myself but I do love it. However, of the last few times we have had it (parties/whatever) it has always resulted in some memory loss of the evening. :cry:(Damn good evenings though.....)

Would probably just use a good quality vodka instead.

Soldato
I've made it before and it came out pretty nice. I would say it was less sugary tasting vs some of the ones you can buy in supermarkets, although still not a patch on what you can get in some Italians though.

Waitrose do some lemons from Sorrento which i think we used rather than just grabbing regular ones. Can't remember which Vodka we used as a base, maybe Russian Standard?

Not in stock but i presume something like this would work nicely
https://www.gerrys.uk.com/balkan-vodka-strong-88-

Got me thinking about knocking some up now!

Soldato
I didn't realise you could make it yourself. Got a recipe? Love the stuff, this hot weather is calling out for it...

Soldato
OP
Have not made it myself but I do love it. However, of the last few times we have had it (parties/whatever) it has always resulted in some memory loss of the evening. :cry:(Damn good evenings though.....)

Would probably just use a good quality vodka instead.

Yeah it is dangerous stuff! So tasty and if it's good you can't even taste the alcohol, meaning before you know it two bottles have gone and your in a different reality! :p

I've made it before and it came out pretty nice. I would say it was less sugary tasting vs some of the ones you can buy in supermarkets, although still not a patch on what you can get in some Italians though.

Waitrose do some lemons from Sorrento which i think we used rather than just grabbing regular ones. Can't remember which Vodka we used as a base, maybe Russian Standard?

Not in stock but i presume something like this would work nicely
https://www.gerrys.uk.com/balkan-vodka-strong-88-

Got me thinking about knocking some up now!

Going to go and scout out Waitrose this evening for quality lemons as I think this will make the biggest difference! Will let you know how I get on!

I didn't realise you could make it yourself. Got a recipe? Love the stuff, this hot weather is calling out for it...

It's super simple really! Planning to follow this recipe this week: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/limoncello

Friend has let me know they have a bottle of 95% Everclear which is never going to get drunk so will be donating it to the cause, going to try with standard vodka first to get the taste right before using it though :)

Soldato
Yeah, i remember trying to get the best lemons i could.

Looking forward to seeing your results. I think the thing we noticed was that it never came out that vivid luminous yellow colour you tend to see, it was more a pale yellow.

We had the same issue making skittles vodka though, you see some peoples and it looks amazing and colourful and ours just looked a dirty mess :(

EDIT - **** it, i'm gonna add stuff to our weekend delivery to make some.

Soldato
Hey all :)

Had lunch at an Italian restaurant this afternoon and finished off with some homemade Limoncello which I could have written next week off with by sitting and drinking it all day!

Has anyone ever made their own?

The process looks quite simple but it seems to make it authentic and for best results some seriously high percentage grain alcohol is needed and I can't seem to find it online anywhere.

Anyone got tips and tricks that has made it before?
This restaurant didn't happen to be on the a120 did it? :D

Soldato
OP
EDIT - **** it, i'm gonna add stuff to our weekend delivery to make some.

Report back! :D

This restaurant didn't happen to be on the a120 did it? :D

Unfortunately not! It was Sorentos in between Clacton and Colchester!

What restaurant are you referring to? Any good? I'm always looking for nice places to go that aren't the plethora of awful chain restaurants around here!

Soldato
Report back! :D

Unfortunately not! It was Sorentos in between Clacton and Colchester!

What restaurant are you referring to? Any good? I'm always looking for nice places to go that aren't the plethora of awful chain restaurants around here!
Caesars @ Dolphin. Really good although they have changed their head chef twice since we last went.

edit: just checked their site and they're still closed because they're hiring a new head chef! Such a shame because it was seriously good food before.

Soldato
Tried it in Sorrento, really didn't see what all the fuss was about.
I think it's the perfect after dinner drink. Nice and strong, sweet but not too sweet. Lemony to perk you up. Last time I had it was in Florence after a huge meal (a huge Florentine steak actually) and they just kept it coming. That was fun!

Soldato
I think it's the perfect after dinner drink. Nice and strong, sweet but not too sweet. Lemony to perk you up. Last time I had it was in Florence after a huge meal (a huge Florentine steak actually) and they just kept it coming. That was fun!
There was another variation of it that i preferred the place made just the two. See if I can find what it was.

Edit: It was the crema version.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
Seen this!

Spoke to the Polish lorry driver who collects our pallets at work and he said when one of his friends goes back to Poland they'll get me a few 1Ltr bottles :p :D

How was your Waitrose trip?

On our online grocery section, the premium lemons show as unavailable but wonder if it's worth nipping to store to see if they have anything available on the shelves.

Back
Top Bottom