Linux distro for web / gaming

Associate
Hey all, been using ubuntu 16.10 for last few weeks, not tried linux before but i have already swapped my laptop to it, compared to windows its a whole better world.

i do coding in lua / c# , terminal seems easy enough once syntax is down.

Now ive not tried any other distros at all upto now, What is everyones goto for gaming? i know the compatibility issues etc, ive got lintus / steam and wine on ubuntu but looking for a more all in one that has most stuff preinstalled or on their own repos etc.

what do you all use and why?

Soldato
Whats your specs ?

If AMD GPU or ryzen CPU go rolling distro

I would go Manjaro as a simple install and go

Also Manjaro being Arch based has very little not available

Tbh even if intel/nvidia I'd still go Manjaro

Soldato
I always end up using Mint. It’s a straight forward usable distro that makes it easy to install proprietary drivers if needed. The repos are pretty comprehensive too (uses the Ubuntu repos) so anything that’s not installed by default is usually only a click away.

Associate
It's been a long time since I've touched Unix or Linux - last time it was the latter, I was playing around with Ubuntu Dapper Drake :eek:

I've got Pop OS installed with a Ryzen 3400G - downloaded the Intel/AMD release as opposed to the NVidia bundle, installed Steam and earlier this afternoon, was using Lutris to install and play Warframe:

Screenshot-from-2020-01-13-14-14-29.png

:D

Now about to try the Batman TellTale games via Proton and yesterday was playing native Euro Truck Simulator 2, although that did struggle with the APU.

Soldato
I tried POP and its just another Gnome distro and I abvsolutely despise the way Gnome has gone with the UI being how it is.. I like the Icons on the desktop like normal.
POP does nothing that most other ubuntu distros give you.

I myself would say that Mint is about the best option out there.

I am a masive Sabayon lover, however its been a total failure at installing on my Laptops for a fair few distros and then it magically did somethign great at 15.3 but then its stopped again.

It even hates my Desktop now and I love Sabayon, but if they cannot get it to install without giving me a headache then Im done with that too!

I think its really down to personal preference. Just try one until your chuffed and thats the right one for you!

Back
Top Bottom