Linux N00b.

Associate
Just installed linux on an old box- and I must say I am impressed. (Posting from it now)

Right ....

Need some anti virus and firewall so what would you recommend.

Also...

What are the must programs for linux?

Cheers

P.s im running Ubuntu 6.06

Soldato
You won't really need AV for Linux, but if you want to be super sure look into ClamAV.

Must programs include; Amarok, vi/vim ;), realplayer for listening to radio etc, video lan client (vlc).

Man of Honour
Firewall - use the synaptic manager and update your repositories, it is self explanatory. Then search for and install Firestarter which is a GUI to control the inbuilt OS firewall.

Antivirus - you don't need it. :)

EDIT: Easy Ubuntu scripts, GIYF, will install video codecs, java, rar support and flash etc., you are then up and running. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting that, yes and no I suppose. Bear in mind a lot of huge companies use Linux for things such as mail servers and file servers so you would have thought more viruses would exist already ...

Associate
at the end of the day, the security model is more secure but it is limited by user stupitidy. if a user runs a shell script they have downloaded no security can account for this. only with linux the most it can do (unless it's being run as root, but i have some faith in linux users) is delete your /home. which is far from ideal.

anyway, end of thread de-rail...

Back
Top Bottom