Linx Tablet drivers and BIOS downloads

Associate
Anyone tried/thought about running Ubuntu or Android under a VBOX virtual machine on these tablets? Sorry if this is a dumb question, it's my first adventure into Windows Tablets, I've only used Android tabs previously.

I tried running android under a Vmachine at the weekend but it just did not have the power to run..

The software i tried (andyroid) requires 3gig of memory to run properly so it was just a slide show on my 8 inch device.

Associate
OP
To those trying the recovery partition over USB. I had no luck with this (On the 7" model) and ended up in a right mess. The recovery stick that was created was absolutely useless. The only way I managed to get out of it was downloading "Windows 8.1 with Bing" as an ISO and then installing it clean from a USB. Tried standard Win 8.1 but it wouldn't activate. The Bing version automatically pulls the serial from the bios and installs activated.

Soldato
To those trying the recovery partition over USB. I had no luck with this (On the 7" model) and ended up in a right mess. The recovery stick that was created was absolutely useless. The only way I managed to get out of it was downloading "Windows 8.1 with Bing" as an ISO and then installing it clean from a USB. Tried standard Win 8.1 but it wouldn't activate. The Bing version automatically pulls the serial from the bios and installs activated.

Any chance of a link for the Big edition please....? I have the std editions but, as you have noted, they will not activate, and in case we are in a similar position it would be good to be prepared :)

Soldato
Any chance of a link for the Big edition please....? I have the std editions but, as you have noted, they will not activate, and in case we are in a similar position it would be good to be prepared :)

yeah. please link it, we good to have it as a backup. I think I want to get rid of my recovery partition to reclaim some space, but defo need the media.

Associate
yeah. please link it, we good to have it as a backup. I think I want to get rid of my recovery partition to reclaim some space, but defo need the media.

You shouldn't be removing the recovery partition at all on these tablets.

There WIMBooted, so the recovery partition is also your windows install. It runs windows from a compressed image on the recovery partition. If you remove it your removing all the windows files. There is no space to recover by deleting the partition.

If anything removing the recovery partition and then reinstalling Windows will take up more space.

Last edited:
Soldato

There WIMBooted, so the recovery partition is also your windows install. It runs windows from a compressed image on the recovery partition. If you remove it your removing all the windows files. There is no space to recover by deleting the partition.

If anything removing the recovery partition and then reinstalling Windows will take up more space.

Well, never knew that. Just went over to the MS site and read all about it.

Shall leave well alone, thanks.

Associate
OP

I think you're right, that would be why my tablet wouldn't boot after I created the recovery USB and deleted the recovery partition (as owners of other Win8 tablets routinely do).

After deleting the recovery partition, formatting the whole drive together and then doing a clean install of Win 8.1 w/Bing, I had a 28.4GB drive with over 20GB free. The entire drive before wasn't much bigger than the free space I'm left with after, so I don't think this is such a bad idea on the 32GB models.

To those asking for a download link for Win 8.1 w/Bing, I got it over torrent. Wouldn't want to post a link here for obvious copyright reasons.

Last edited:
Associate
USB OTG + Power

Hello,

Hope this is okay to post here.

Basically would like to ask whether anyone who has bought a 7, 8 or 10" Linx Tablet has managed to successfully get USB OTG and power to work concurrently on their device please?
(Failed dismally to get Tablet to charge whilst there is a USB Stick attached for example. USB Stick only seems to be detected whilst Tablet is running on battery power. Considering these Tablets can be used as a reasonably inexpensive desktop PC (considering they run Win 8.1 - full version as opposed to a mobile version) it seems a shame that this sort of configuration only seems to work whilst the Tablet is running on battery power. Immediately upon connecting power to the Tablet all USB devices are immediately disconnected - surely there's a workaround?).

From what I'm able to gather these Tablets will allow for a USB device(s) to be connected via an OTG cable but won't allow for them to be used whilst the Tablet is charging (basically one or the other only).

Not sure whether the Tablet upon sensing power disconnects USB connectivity but would like to be able to use a USB device(s) with and without power. Tried the following cables from the URL below as understood a Dell Venue 8 Pro has the same issues but understand not all devices are the same without avail though unfortunately:

http://www.toddklindt.com/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=478
(http://www.toddklindt.com/ChargeDV8)

#1 - USB Male to Micro USB Male Charging Data Cable w/ Switch for Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 - Black (100 CM)

#2 - CY U2-166 USB Female to Micro USB Female + Micro USB Male Adapter Cable - Black (15cm)

#3 - USB Female to Micro USB Female Adapter – Black

Any thoughts on this would be great.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Associate
We have just got one of these 10" tablets for testing in the office and great speed for the price. We have the 10" Linx but can only get into the bios via pressing the delete key with a USB keyboard attached not via the pover+volume up, try this if anyone is having issues getting into the BIOS. Also I have tried getting windows 10 installed which the install goes fine, but when trying to install any of the drivers it stops at installing driver screen forever. if you then restart it breaks the OS. might try again as win 10 beta is out tonight so may allow the drivers.

Got it running win 8.1 pr with no issues tho, whth the drivers above or the ones I have from double driver.

I am going to keep an eye out for one of these to replace my Old ipad2 but would love the staples £79.99 deal again :)

Any questions please ask..

Associate
We have just got one of these 10" tablets for testing in the office and great speed for the price. We have the 10" Linx but can only get into the bios via pressing the delete key with a USB keyboard attached not via the pover+volume up, try this if anyone is having issues getting into the BIOS. Also I have tried getting windows 10 installed which the install goes fine, but when trying to install any of the drivers it stops at installing driver screen forever. if you then restart it breaks the OS. might try again as win 10 beta is out tonight so may allow the drivers.

Got it running win 8.1 pr with no issues tho, whth the drivers above or the ones I have from double driver.

I am going to keep an eye out for one of these to replace my Old ipad2 but would love the staples £79.99 deal again :)

Any questions please ask..

You can't really use the bios on the linx 10 without a keyboard as theres no way to select the items inside the bios menu.

As for Windows 10. Use the drivers listed here instead https://social.technet.microsoft.co...g-on-pipo-w1-tablet?forum=WinPreview2014Setup.

I had the same issue with the supplied drivers breaking the OS. Those are for a different tablet but it uses the same hardware and more up to date drivers.

Associate
Hello,

Hope this is okay to post here.

Basically would like to ask whether anyone who has bought a 7, 8 or 10" Linx Tablet has managed to successfully get USB OTG and power to work concurrently on their device please?
(Failed dismally to get Tablet to charge whilst there is a USB Stick attached for example. USB Stick only seems to be detected whilst Tablet is running on battery power. Considering these Tablets can be used as a reasonably inexpensive desktop PC (considering they run Win 8.1 - full version as opposed to a mobile version) it seems a shame that this sort of configuration only seems to work whilst the Tablet is running on battery power. Immediately upon connecting power to the Tablet all USB devices are immediately disconnected - surely there's a workaround?).

From what I'm able to gather these Tablets will allow for a USB device(s) to be connected via an OTG cable but won't allow for them to be used whilst the Tablet is charging (basically one or the other only).

Not sure whether the Tablet upon sensing power disconnects USB connectivity but would like to be able to use a USB device(s) with and without power. Tried the following cables from the URL below as understood a Dell Venue 8 Pro has the same issues but understand not all devices are the same without avail though unfortunately:

http://www.toddklindt.com/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=478
(http://www.toddklindt.com/ChargeDV8)

#1 - USB Male to Micro USB Male Charging Data Cable w/ Switch for Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 - Black (100 CM)

#2 - CY U2-166 USB Female to Micro USB Female + Micro USB Male Adapter Cable - Black (15cm)

#3 - USB Female to Micro USB Female Adapter – Black

Any thoughts on this would be great.
Thank you.
Not tried on a 10 - it has its own charging port, so no point - but the 7 will charge at the same time as allowing USB connections via this device [http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4In1-Micr...MobilePhoneDataCables_JN&hash=item43cef39eea] . Note you also need to change the bios settings; go to Chipset/South Bridge/USB Configuration and set PCI mode under USB OTG support, and USB VBUS to ON. I have this setup next to me on my desk - the tablet plugged into a Dell Monitor with built-in hub via the OTG adapter, and a mouse and keyboard plugged to the monitor, and a micro-usb charger plugged into the adapter. Works fine.

Last edited:
Associate
I like some others would like to see android running. ConsoleOS is an option in the future but release seems to be far away still. I guess the best option to run Android natively right now is with the Android x86 project. I managed to boot Android 4.4 (Android x86 4.4 r2) on my Linx 10. However, the touch screen, Bluetooth, wifi and screen rotation did not work.

I truly believe Android running on a Linx 10 will make it one of the most powerful Android devices available with 2gb of RAM, an x86 Quad Core Atom Chip with Intel HD Graphics. This tablet is crying out for Android in my eyes.

Don't get me wrong though, Windows is great. I'll most likely dual boot Windows and Android.

I'm also hoping for 64bit in the future too. 64bit is the standard nowadays. Only for Windows "Connected Standby" to throw us back into the 32bit era. With Connected Standby now working with 64bit, there is no reason that we should be locked at 32 bit.

So these are my only... I wouldn't say problems but they are my hopes for the future with my Linx 10.

Associate
Basically would like to ask whether anyone who has bought a 7, 8 or 10" Linx Tablet has managed to successfully get USB OTG and power to work concurrently on their device please?.

I have a Linx 7 powered from USB and running a wired mouse this Y cable and gender changer:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0047AALS0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00066HL4Q?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

I didn't have to change any BIOS settings, it just worked.

I've also tried a USB 3.0 hub with a couple of USB 3.0 pen drives and the mouse at the same time. It all worked fine.

Note: file transfers to the tablet maxed out at just under 40MB/s, so I believe that the port on the Linx 7 is USB 2.0, even though the chipset is USB 3.0.

I now have the tablet connected to a 27" WQHD (2560 x 1440) monitor playing 1080p videos from Plex. It works great and this tablet will be moving to back room to handle home theater duties there (replacing an old Acer Revo RL70 nettop that's beginning to struggle).

I've ordered another USB 3.0 hub with an integrated Gigabit NIC (I don't trust the wireless for streaming):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LLUEJFU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

*edit* The hub arrived today, it all works fine. I got ~55MB/sec when copying a 1.5GB MKV to the tablet over the network. I think it was using wireless as well. Speed over wireless only was ~8MB/sec, so this is quite an improvement :)

Lastly, I've ordered a stand for the tablet to sit by the TV. I'm hoping that the USB and microHDMI cables will fit neatly thought the provided slot in this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007KELD50?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Regards,

Paul

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry for the noob question guys but how do I go about installing Windows 8.1 Pro on the Linx 7? Tried copying the install files to a USB stick and running the setup but after first reboot it says it wasn't possible. Cheers :)

Soldato
I just bought the 10" with the plan of throwing Linux onto it.

Yet to have any success, but not been at it for more than a few hours.

Also bought a case with keyboard built-in and its also got a laptop style mousey track pad thingy, however no mouse / pad buttons? - ok, its touch screen so itskind of sort of getting around it, but I wish it did have the buttons.

Anyway, the Delete key and getting into the BIOS has posed zero issues for me, so thats good... Its just getting it to actually boot from the USB drive.

I have also plopped a 128GB MicroSD into it, and the plan will be for the 32GB for root and the 128GB for home, but I am a little concerned about the recovery partition... for a start, I have not been able to get at any such partition, and so, how would I know whether I need to keep it or not?

Does any Win 8.1 with Bing give me the small setup?

I have not seen any here or out there, but any legal links to the right version of 8.1 for it available?

I have a good selection of Linus ISOs ready to play with, but is there any that are better than others in terms of compatibility with these linx tablets?

Back
Top Bottom