Live For Speed

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Pigeon said:
Sadly though my online account won't allow me to log back in so I can't play it. Time to try LFS???

You should try rFactor too. It uses the same Physics and Graphics engine as GTL (G-Motor 2.0), and has the same kind of mod community, with new tracks and mods being released daily.

Sure, the quality does vary but there are some awesome mods and tracks out there, including a version of the 'ring ;)

Last edited:
Associate
I did try LFS with a keyboard but couldnt get the hang of it - I tried it around a mates house with a wheel and it was a totally different game :) I only have a Radeon X600 at the moment, would that play it alright? And I assume that when you say a "DFP Wheel" you mean the Logitech Driving Force Pro? If it is then I can only find it for the PS2 - can you use it on a PC?

Cheers :)

Associate
Ish said:
i have the full version of LFS but really need to spend more time on it to get better.

I'm also considering buying a DFP wheel but don't know if i should...decisions decisions!

I use a gamepad at the moment

downloaded this and did all the tests last night.
anyone else use a game pad?
I have got a sidewinder, but I cannot make the buttons make the car accelerate...only up on the direction button. makes a pain for braking and accelerating...and the steering seems to try and full lock the wheels everytime I press left or right.
down for accelerating. I did try (before u lot say anything) remapping the buttons in game, but it didnt make any difference.

maybe I will just go and buy a wheel, oh and a s2 license :)

what sort of wheels do you lot use, and do you use a pedal bank as well?

Soldato
MSFF, Momo and DFP are the popular ones. You won't get an MSFF though, the DFP probably is the best one out of the 3. You can get them for about £55 now and will also work with your ps2 if you have one.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
I'm using an Xbox360 controller, which plugs straight into my PC. I'm sure it's not quite as good as a decent steering wheel, but as I sit on the sofa, there really isn't a place to mount a wheel.
It still has full analogue controls, allowing the balancing of throttle through corners. The only thing I've not managed to get up and running is the force feedback element, not sure why that is.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
You guys using pads are missing out on so much, honestly. These are driving simulators that have physics to make the Gran Turismo series feel like Outrun. Pads just don't do them justice.

Associate
DreXeL said:
You guys using pads are missing out on so much, honestly. These are driving simulators that have physics to make the Gran Turismo series feel like Outrun. Pads just don't do them justice.

well I have never really been into racing games (other than cheapo NFS etcetc)
and gran turismo on the PS1 :)

But cant handle MMOPRGXYZ anymore. dont have time for it. so trying to find games that are easy to pick up and put down whenever.

will go racing wheel shopping at the weekend I think.

oh and a quick Q about clutch. is it necessary to clutch to change gear?
I didnt found it made much difference really, but then driving slow cars I suppose it wouldnt.
edit. found autoclutch.

Last edited:

Sam

Sam

Soldato
I played it a whileback with Andy ( ice ) + Vonsteve and it was great, recentley patched it so i have the bmw and it was good fun. I just dont have any time for computer games anymore :\

Sam

Soldato
I popped into the OcUK Racing server last night, managed to do a lap, then the race ended, did qualifying (7-8 seconds off the pace!) then I had to make a move.

Hopefully will be able to get on there more often, must make use of projector + av amp/speakers + wheel + Prelude seats in my room at home!

Soldato
Wish I had the time spare too. I dont get to sit down till about 9pm at night and then I'm knackered. Tons of games, highish spec PC, FF momo steering wheel/pedals etc all going to waste. :(

Will try to hook up with you lot one night though, depending on what time you race.

Back
Top Bottom