Liverpool to Redevelop Anfield

Don
OP
Yeah lucky maybe isn't the right word. But you are now in an excellent situation where you are the leading team and can capitalise on your position by improving the ground without sacrificing current players or reducing money spent on new ones.

New stadiums cost upwards to 1billion now. And Arsenal have never recovered from the move.

I think the apartments Arsenal built on the old site didn't make them as much money as they thought, as the housing market crashed when they were ready.

I would have preferred they built a stand like the north bank at the clock end. And then filled in the corners. Surely we could have fit over 50k then.

As I said, it was just the situation Liverpool found themselves in. The circumstances meant that the best solution was to redevelop Anfield. Had we been in London then maybe it would have made more sense to pay £1bn and build a new stadium.

Re Arsenal, the stadium move is an excuse for your decline, not a reason. Increased matchday revenue more than paid for the finance costs of building the stadium and Arsenal have sat on a mountain of cash in the bank for years. I remember reading something a few years back that Arsenal had profited (not just sales revenue) by near £100m from property sales and iinm Arsenal still have an undeveloped plot on the books too. The only negative, from a financial pov, linked to the stadium move was locking yourself into a long deal with Emirates but that was more than made up for by the increase in matchday revenue.

I've speculated before that it's possible that Arsenal's lack of spending is more likely linked to what Kroenke's doing in the US.

Don
OP
No surprises that the club have announced that this has been delayed by a year. To have it completed in time for the start of the 2022/23 season work would have needed to begin in the next 6 months and with the final stage of the build only being possible during the close season, even a very short delal would have meant it wasn't possible.

FMF

FMF

Associate
I wonder if the above and maybe a big summer in terms of transfers is FSG trying to make amends for ESL?

Don
OP
Reading the article they’re not even new plans, only they had to be resubmitted as they expired due to Covid restrictions on council meetings.
Not quite. The club received outline planning permission to expand the Anfield Road stand back in 2014 at the same time as they began work on the Main Stand. The club decided that those plans from 2014 were no longer big enough so allowed them to expire (work had to begin by 2019 or the permission expired) and drew up plans for a bigger expansion which was due to be submitted Spring/Summer last year however due to uncertainty & delays caused by covid* that got postponed. Plans were finally submitted sometime in January iinm but it's taken 6 months for the council to meet and give their approval due to covid restrictions.

*Work was meant to begin in late 2020 with the final stage of the build process taking place at the end of the 2021/22 season when cranes etc can get onto the pitch to remove the old roof and join the new tier(s) to the existing lower tier. As soon as covid hit it was all but certain that planning permission and the first stages of the build wouldn't be completed by May 2022 allowing them the close season to finish things off, meaning that the stand couldn't have opened until 2023/24 anyway.

Soldato
I hope they've thought it through and don't lose the magic of the Kop. It's not unknown for stadium expansions to kill off an atmosphere and change the nature of a place.

Don
OP
Do we know if the extended stand will be renamed? Possibly raise some revenue by selling its naming rights?
I'm sure they'll be looking for a sponsor but they were for the Main stand too and that never happened. Naming rights never really caught on over here compared to in the US - 2 years after Spurs stadium was due to open and they've still not managed to secure a naming rights partner and that's on a brand new, whole stadium not a rename of a stand, which should be easier.

It was reported with the Main stand that the club found that the club could raise more revenue sponsoring bars and lounges within the stand than what they could have got from a sponsor of the entire stand.

Soldato
Two things we can hopefully say won't be on it: The Sun Lounge and the Murdoch stand. Given the owners though, if the money was high enough, do you think they might forget?

If it were me and no-one comes forward just call it "the stand for the 96" and hopefully give it some meaning beyond corporate transactions. Stick across the front hoarding "we still want justice" and every game can have that splashed front and centre. It's a better message than "fly/buy/wear <insert brandname here>"

Soldato
Two things we can hopefully say won't be on it: The Sun Lounge and the Murdoch stand. Given the owners though, if the money was high enough, do you think they might forget?

If it were me and no-one comes forward just call it "the stand for the 96" and hopefully give it some meaning beyond corporate transactions. Stick across the front hoarding "we still want justice" and every game can have that splashed front and centre. It's a better message than "fly/buy/wear <insert brandname here>"

You're seriously asking that? Not in a million years

Don
OP
You'd hope not, but money speaks these days and overseas owners can forget mighty quick when it suits them/their agenda...
Debating whether the owners would sell the naming rights to them is about as sensible a debate as debating whether you'd shoot your parents if you were offered enough.

Fwiw, despite the boycott of that particular newspaper by most of the city and with almost all players & staff not giving them inverviews since the disaster, their journalists were still permitted to cover our press-conferences & matches up until 2017. The decision to remove their accreditation reportedly came from John Henry, after the club spoke with families of the 96 regarding the Total Eclipse of The S*n campain.

Back
Top Bottom