Living alone: What's the worst part of cleaning your home?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Get a portable, The average person has thiers in the kitchen imagine washing your best clothes beside frying onion rings, Thiers people that do it!!! And kitchens arw normally filfthy too!

When i googled washing machine in kitchen i got hammered with links where Americans talk about how disgusting it is and how they cannot believe Brits dont have a laundry room.

So i got portables, And a portable spin dryer and a dehumidifier. And it feels amazing as a man i have evolved like when the first man started using bog roll.

I tend to not shove onion ring fat into my washer.

Permabanned
Yep, duvets are a **** of urine to do. Duvet cover inside out, stick hands in to grab the top corners, grab a corner of the duvet with each hand, stand shake and rearrange. 30 seconds tops to have it ready to be buttoned closed.

As for washing machine in the kitchen, do these "Yanks" think we also store all these clothes in the kitchen, no they are walked in, put in the machine, then when done walked out to where they are put to dry! , Total exposure in kitchen is probably 30 seconds.

Ok but then you have to work around food right? What if there is a particular meal and you need the washing done? So you need to wash it and do that while foods being cooked? It makes no sense at all and its actually against hygiene to take clothes into a dirty kitchen.

And what about the ironing? Do you work around that too? Each to thier own but i refuse to wear clothes washed like that work clothes? Sure but i have my clean clothes that has everything done in the spare room. I simply feel cleaner mentally when im wearing them and i know that its not been in the kitchen.

The kitchen is a dirty place tbh the only other place you could compete is washing your clothes in the bathroom after a huge megaldon dump. Thats the second most dirty room in my house the kitchen is number one.

Associate
Yep, duvets are a **** of urine to do. Duvet cover inside out, stick hands in to grab the top corners, grab a corner of the duvet with each hand, stand shake and rearrange. 30 seconds tops to have it ready to be buttoned closed.

As for washing machine in the kitchen, do these "Yanks" think we also store all these clothes in the kitchen, no they are walked in, put in the machine, then when done walked out to where they are put to dry! , Total exposure in kitchen is probably 30 seconds.

I have a double bed and king size duvet. I normally turn the cover inside out, put my hands in and grab the corners of the cover, then the corner or the duvet. Stand on the bed/sofa and shake so the cover falls over the duvet. Then put the open end corners into place and shake again, standing on the sofa/bed. Button up and shake again from top. Done. 5 mins.

I've tried this exact method. Inside out and grabbing the corners while dropping the duvet cover back over. The problem always arises from the middle part sagging as the duvet only stays where you're grabbing. This causes constant readjusting and shaking until I'm just tired and mad. :p With 2 people it's so much easier as you can create tension across the top of the duvet as the cover is folded over.

I think I just need longer arms. Much, much longer arms.

Soldato
I use wire wool and astonish oven cleaner on my oven after I have heated it up for about 5 mins. It does come off but it needs a scrub! Normally takes me about 2 hours and it looks like new afterward. I also just soak the racks in my sink in hot water then wire wool them and they come up like new.

I have used those oven pride kits and they do work wonders on the racks at least, but 10-15 min scrub with a wire wool and hot soapy water does the job just as well. You just need a big enough sink! Wife recently put in an oven liner, will have a look how its doing later :D

Wouldn't a wire wool brush take off the special coating that lines the oven? The racks they'd be fine with, i'd just be worried about taking off the surface on the inside.

I have an indoor airer that I use to hang clothes up to dry (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clothes-La...ocphy=9044967&hvtargid=pla-717556030931&psc=1)

I am lucky in that I live in a 3 bedroom house on my own, so the spare room has this in it. Very easy to do 2 washes a week and never have an issue with space. Most things dry in 24 hours anyway.

Only real issue is sheets and duvet covers, but even that is manageable.

Yeah we have 2 airers that gets used over winter. Our house stays pretty warm, and being quite open plan, i've never noticed any moisture build up.

Bedding. Is there some form of magic trickery that allows a single person to easily and successfully put a cover on a king sized duvet without it becoming an anger induced wrestling match?

I actually find putting on bedding a piece of cake. Was a chore i had to do in my younger days.

I line up the cover and duvet, and then pull one corner of the duvet through to the top of the cover, then repeat for the other side. At that point the duvet is at least in the cover. Then it's just a case of shaking the cover around until the duvet lines up inside it. Sounds complex, but is pretty easy with lots of practice!

Soldato
OP
I've tried this exact method. Inside out and grabbing the corners while dropping the duvet cover back over. The problem always arises from the middle part sagging as the duvet only stays where you're grabbing. This causes constant readjusting and shaking until I'm just tired and mad. :p With 2 people it's so much easier as you can create tension across the top of the duvet as the cover is folded over.

I've never had it sag, I create the tension when I place it over the bed edge before putting the open end together.

Associate
Ok but then you have to work around food right? What if there is a particular meal and you need the washing done? So you need to wash it and do that while foods being cooked? It makes no sense at all and its actually against hygiene to take clothes into a dirty kitchen.

It takes 30 seconds to load and unload a washing machine (and it is protected all the time it is in the machine). You do not need to be cooking in that time, and even if you were, you are not dipping dirty socks into your spag bol.

Associate
I've never had it sag, I create the tension when I place it over the bed edge before putting the open end together.

I'll have to try a few new things. I even tried those clips that keep the duvet in place and having myself grab more nearer the middle as I shake the cover over. It's all just too much effort for the level of outcome. :p

Permabanned
It takes 30 seconds to load and unload a washing machine (and it is protected all the time it is in the machine). You do not need to be cooking in that time, and even if you were, you are not dipping dirty socks into your spag bol.

You know if you can smell something right it means the particles are all over everything? Thats minute particles of food and oil that are airborne. Guess what? If you can smell poo also that means particles went from someones butthole up into your nose.

This is factual...

Caporegime

I have a very unique (apparently) way.
I go inside the cover. Holding the corners of the duvet.
Then when I get the corners of the duvet to the cover I squiggle out. Most of the duvet is in its correct place. Seal it up and a quick shake.

Associate
Then when I get the corners of the duvet to the cover I squiggle out. Most of the duvet is in its correct place. Seal it up and a quick shake.

I feel like you may have learned this method being performed by a small child when asked to make their bed for the first time. :p

Not saying I won't give it a try though!

Caporegime
Caporegime
I feel like you may have learned this method being performed by a small child when asked to make their bed for the first time. :p

Not saying I won't give it a try though!
Ha. When my gf saw me do it for the first time. She thought wtf!

Then struggled to do it on her own! Win

Soldato
I struggle with the monotony of cleaning but it's not the everyday jobs that are the worst, it's things like pulling white goods out to clean behind / under them, cleaning the vent in the kitchen (super gross), and anything involving the toilet bowl lol.

Associate
You know if you can smell something right it means the particles are all over everything? Thats minute particles of food and oil that are airborne. Guess what? If you can smell poo also that means particles went from someones butthole up into your nose.

This is factual...

Damn, better restart all my washing, minute food particles went onto it. I didn't realise how factual that was.

Caporegime
I shall try it this Saturday and report back if I make it out of the cover alive.
Tricky part is exiting the cover and getting most of the work done. If you're not careful you'll have little duvet in the cover! Do it right and only the bottom corners near the 'exit' poke out!

Soldato
Any reason you don't have a tumble?

I dont have a huge kitchen, all appliances are behind cupboard doors and decided I'd prefer a small dishwasher to a tumble dryer. I know I could have got a combi wahser/dryer, but thought nah, cant be bothered.

Doesnt take long to hang up and during days when it is nice I have an outside clothes hanger thing I use.

Associate
What's a shower drain filter - you mean the plug hole? I've only ever poured bleach/cleaner down it - not that taxing.

Look into getting a cleaner tho - there's a high chance you currently earn more per hour than a cleaner will cost you.

Permabanned
1) Scotland so shower is easy to clean, takes 30 secs to do just as I get out it (that shower-mist spray if you started off with a clean shower) as no hard water.

2) Never heard of a poo knife.

Soldato

I do this too. It's one of my wife's chores now so she does it the normal way lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom