LL V1000 + A8N32 SLi - Heatpipes won't work?

Associate
yeah Day03, im gonna be doing the same. i was thinking of geting a water cooling kit as well, just to make it more quiet inside.

i was thinking of geting the Alphacool Cool Answer II 120 Watercooling Kit and mouting the 120mm fan & rad at the back

this is the psu im using atm

ultrax2uvblue49bs.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Will watercolling make that much of a difference to the noise? I have Zalman 9500 CPU cooler and NV Silencer for the GPU and both of these are probably the most quiet components of the whole system. I've changed the fans to Akasa Ambers and soft mounted my 3 HDDs. the most noise part of the PC is the Tagan PSU which is regarded as being quiet and the seeking noise of the HDDs. I don't think that watercooling would make any difference in my case to the noise as the 2 fans which it is replacing are the most quiet components anyway.

Associate
How are you planning to fit that PSU? The 12cm intake fan can be positioned downwards but it might suck in a lot of dust and I'm not sure how much airflow do those perforations in the case allow. I was thinking of getting a new PSU with 12cm fan and modding the case to fit it. I was thinking of cutting a 12cm hole in the horizontal partition so that it would suck in air from underneath the CPU and will also act as additional exhaust fan.

Soldato
Not always less noise with watercooling.

Graphics card cooler can be a huge source of noise.

Better picking up a Zalman VF900 GPU cooler and a low noise CPU cooler.

Associate
how come you dont like it? :)
not your colour? :p

i guess the under parts abit of a mess and i would have put the hds the other side. but apart from that is looks nice

Soldato
Cathodes when turned on can draw 700w or something silly and blow a PSU, so no cathodes.

I have no lights at all in my case, bar the ones on the Power, HDD and TR3a.

Permabanned
Wrong

Yewen said:
The whole principle of a heatpipe is that heat rises, and it will rise through the pipe taking the heat away from the heat source, dissipating into the surrounding air as it goes.

Turning it upside down means the heat cant go down the pipe, so it is all stuck directly on the heat source; lowering the surface area for heat to dissipate into the surrounding air, thus increasing the temperature of the heat source.

Right

Day03 said:
I thought that heatpipes use pressure differentials produced by liquid being changed to vapour state and this cappilary movement transports the heat along the heatpipe. Is there any official statement from Asus that says not to use this mobo upside down?

But i believe that asus dont use "wicks" hence, the tube has to be the right way up other wise the heatpipe doesnt efficiently transfer the heat.
Most heatpipes have R404a in them (for all the phase people)

Tom

Soldato
In simple terms is my comprehension of how they work not correct though? (In the case of the Asus as it is what we are talking about? If not I have a weird heatpiped motherboard defying science.)

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1345&page=2

Does that not say what I did but in technical terms, if not can you explain how the heatpipe on the Asus works in easier terms?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capillary_action

Does that not mean that heat rises? Same as what I said but much more technical?

Never used the crossflow fan, is that not specific to only the stacker case though?

Got a link to it?

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeh, you would have to mod it to fit, only fits in stock on the compatable Coolermaster Cases.

Would'nt think it would make much difference to most cases, never tried it though so it may help.

Would doubt it would be worth the effort.

Soldato
Up to you, have not looked into it, may be to big for the motherboard, have not looked into it.

May be worth a try if you already have one. The cooling should be adequate without it as it was designed to run without it.

Back
Top Bottom