Loadline Calibration - higher or lower?

Associate
When it comes to vcore it is generally accepted that lower is better in the long run for the life of the CPU. However what I am reading - admittedly from the same sources - is that a lower loadline calibration and a higher set vcore in bios is better than a higher loadline calibration and a lower vcore in bios.

Ultimately the info I'm being given is that a lower LLC means that although the vcore at idle will be higher in the OS, when it comes to load the vcore needed for a stable OC is lower. So is it safe to run at a higher idle voltage to get lower load voltages and if so, how much idle voltage is too much?

EG:
LLC5 Bios 1.4 Idle 1.38 Load 1.32
LLC7 Bios 1.37 Idle 1.369 Load 1.35

Is there anyone here that can weigh in on this?

Sources are Falkentyne (sp) and Elmor via forums and reddit.

Soldato
The vcore required for a stable overclock is not going to change as this is defined by the individual CPUs power requirements to hold a particular clock speed. I believe the approach you describe is purely to limit the potential for peak vcore to exceed what is actually required for the overclock as a higher LLC will give the BIOS more leeway overvolt whereas a lower LLC is more restrained when it comes to chucking volts around. My own opinion is that managing vcore at this level is only required for extreme CPU usage such as stress testing which is not relevant to daily use so my preference would be a lower stock vcore and not to worry too much about the highly infrequent instances where LLC could potentially overvolt by a minimal amount for a few seconds or even milliseconds.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom