Logitech z5500 + PS3 + SKY= HELP

Associate
Hey guys
Right heres my situtation. I have a ps3 and sky connected to my sony tv. and i am going to buy the logitech z5500's. Now heres my problem:

i WAS going to connect the ps3 to the speakers via a optical, so i can get the surrond sound from the ps3. and i was going to connect the tv to the speakers via a coaxial cable. BUT im thinking should i connect the sky to the speakers via a optical?

Which is the best option? and if i connect the tv with a coaxial, will that do anything or should i connect the sky box with an optical??

Cheers Guys

Associate
Not sure if i can post a link for this so i wont :)

i think the only way to get DD from sky is through optical [ not 100% on that ]

Do a search for " 3 Way Optical Switch AND 4 x 1M TOSLink CABLES BUNDLE "

Soldato
The Sky box does have a co-axial out. Im in a similar situation. Have a nice new Samsung 40" TV, Xbox, Sky and a Bluray player. Want to connect the Z5500s to the setup, and the Samsung TV has an optical out. Brilliant, I thought.

Then I read the manual. Apparently, the TV will only output 5.1 sound when its on TV mode (which is never, because I use Sky through HDMI). So if I want 5.1 sound, I have to connect all the devices to the Z5500s and switch bewteen them because the poxy TV wont pass through sound from the HDMI sources. It's a pain the arse having to switch the speakers between different inputs all the time though, and means I now have to have another remote just to change the volume, rather than use the TV volume control :/

The way Im going to do it is link the Sky box through a coaxial, then link the Bluray/Xbox through an optical splitter, as mentioned above. Seems to be the only way to do it.

EDIT: Just searched for the item you posted, that might actually be a better way to do it, and have all the devices linked through toslink. Thanks :D

Last edited:
Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
I've got my sky/dvd set up like i posted it does work :cool:

I said i was'nt 100% on the DD from sky as i thought the co-axial out was only for stereo sound as the sky+ box does'nt have a have a decoder.
Allway's thought you only get 5.1 useing the optical and an external decoder.

yep looks that way
http://mysky.sky.com/portal/site/sk...431-49fe-9444-ef372d9d90ca&articleId=11286303

And look at number 3 and 5
http://www.hi-fi-insight.com/sky-hdtv-set-top-box-rear-connectors.html

In that case I'll just get the Optical splitter. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom