LOL @ Dell

Associate
Fanatic said:
Probly just me but does anyone else find that highly amusing? Dunno why, just seems wierd in this day and age not to be able to say a word. :) I think i have a strange sense of humour. I guess its because i just cant xxxxxx to xxxxxxxxxx.

The Thought Police are on their way to you. Your doors are locked. Please do not try to leave.

:eek: :p :D

Associate
Bobbler said:
£5000? Sounds like bull to me, even going on as a non-corporate account buyer the charge is only £2000 on 100 machines. Last time I purchased using our corporate account for 30 machines in one go the delivery charge was waived which a quick call to your account manager can take care of. You friend is either a liar or you are exagerating in order to make your point somehow true IMO.

Wasn't meaning to be flippant. Glad your baby and laptop are safe and sound.

My friend might well have been exaggerating for all I know. I don't think he was enquiring as a corporate account holder, but was selling laptops on ebay at the time, and the delivery charge he was quoted were given per laptop and (he claims) they wouldn't reduce the amount for a bulk buy.

Last edited:
Associate
Dell are getting worst and worst. Where do they buy their components from.

No doubt at work, we are going to have to return some parts again.

I think in the last few weeks, we have had 6 engineers out to replace failed M/boards.

Soldato
I have a Dell mobo, keeps beeping at me. So i kick it. Still beeps :)

Its an improvement at least - before it froze when it beeped. Now it recovers. Come Friday I will order my new stuff. Then I will be free.

Soldato
good god, major screw up on dell's part god knows how much it will cost them to replace all these and what about all the old batterys where will they be disposed :(

KizZ said:
Dell laptop battery explodes during a conference :eek:

:eek: thats like a small bomb just imagine if that went off on a plane

Eliot said:
afaik theres the odd macbook explosion too

yep the powerbook nuked it self to orbit -

http://gaming.engadget.com/2006/08/06/another-powerbook-violently-explodes/

Last edited:
Commissario
Elitejungalist said:
Dell are getting worst and worst. Where do they buy their components from.

In the case of the batteries, Sony ;)

seriously though it's worrying to think about what could have happened if it had been on an aircraft (terrorists forget about explosives just take a Dell laptop with you).

I suspect there will be a quieter recall of many more batteries made by Sony in the near future, as I cannot see it being limited to just models used by Dell.

It's also worth remembering that product recalls go on every day of the week, but it's unusual for it to affect this many units (probably in part because most products have a wider variety of manufacturers unlike lithium-ion batteries).

Man of Honour
Raymond Lin said:
What is really unfair to dell in this instance is that Dell are taking all the PR negativity, where Sony coming out unscathed. Even thou it is Sony who makes the little time bombs.

I think it's fair that Dell take at least some of the flack for this seeing as they chose to use the sony batteries (Presumably they should check them). Agreed, it is annoying how Sony don't lose anything from this (apart from a repeat order from Dell I imagine :p )

Soldato
While it is clearly a fault with something regarding the battery - who's to say that the dell wiring/ connections in the actual laptops arent faulty.

As stated above, if we here of more manufacturers recalling batteries supplied by Sony then its probably the cell itself - at this point however its just as likely to be a Dell manufacturing fault - wouldnt you say?

Dont get me wrong, if its completely Sony's fault then they should cough up and get all the pr grief etc - but it may not be

Associate
sphen said:
I'm amazed some people seem to think this is funny. Imagine the situation if one such laptop battery were to explode on a plane, or on the lap of a user.
Yeah or anywhere in london, you would get shot by anti terror police before you had time to shout it's a dell. :D

Associate
Thanks for the Pic KizZ. That explosion does look quite violent, i wouldnt like to have that thing on my lap when that happened could cause some nasty burns.

Soldato
Johny Boy said:
Well you wouldn't be allowed to use a laptop on a plane would you. These things aren't exploding while turned off as far as I know.

Yeah the mac laptop one did, went off at 6am fully shutdown lol.

It wouldn't really be a problem on a plane as in it wouldn't bring one down, just give the passengers a very big suprise. You'd need something a bit more powerfull than that to rupture the hull.

Associate
Yewen said:
In that sense, Dell are a competitor and should not be mentioned. ;)

There used to be a blanket ban on the name, but due to the montiors, PDA and Laptops it has been lifted. If it gets abused I can quite imagine the blanket ban being enforced again.

Not to be a bad person, Gibbo himself quoted the site himself several times.

Just as a note, who doesn't go to the manufacturer's website to check the product details these days?? So not quoting them is a moot point. I think Gibbo made it his ambition to be competitive, especially in the monitors market and if Dell start to undercut OcUK im 100% sure Gibbo/Spie etc (through you or by themselves) will let us know not to comment about them.

So IMO quoting them or not quoting them really would not fundamentally change anything. Dell are far different from your average e-tailor selling various manufacturer's product items in competition with OcUK, Dell are unique that they are the company which make and sell their own products direct to the customer and the competition of whom we should never quote ;) .

===

Anywho, back on topic!! My Laptop battery is bad!!!!!! Nooooooooooo!!!! I need a new battery! This is friken unbelievable...why me!!! Just when I was laughing at everyone who had a bad laptop battery, I decided to check the site and voila...great..sigh.

Ah well, at least I get a better battery back, which should be good. Can't wait until it's sorted out.

Phil99 said:
Laptops have been allowed to be used on a lot of flights for ages now :confused:

My friend went on holiday yesterday, he had problems with even taking on basic things on the flight. -due to the new rules enforced recently. Don't know where he put it exactly, he said he wasn't able to do any work on the flight.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom