London 2017 Athletics World Championships

Soldato
If you are being serious.... then all I can say is special... very special!

The F1 bid is to use the Olympic Park to host a race, with the stadium section likely used for the start/finish/pits.

I'd also add that it's not F1 themselves who are bidding for this, it's a company looking to turn it into a circuit to be used for a race, then with any luck F1 will accept it into the calendar and promote it. Bernie Ecclestone already stated that he welcomed the bid and would like to see a race there if successful. Think of it in much the same way that Silverstone is a race circuit and they wish for F1 to use it in their F1 calendar... its largely the same, despite the bizarre location.

Soldato
That's what I thought, bidding for the park but what about the other sections IF the company is bidding to turn the park into a race course? They'll be crisscrossing velodrome, aquatic centre e.t.c.

Just don't make quite as much sense to me, especially when there's a stadium in there, not really grandstand material for F1... Trying to piece the logic of allowing an circuit bid compared to say a Football Club using the stadium and other facilities running as it is?

Soldato
That's what I thought, bidding for the park but what about the other sections IF the company is bidding to turn the park into a race course? They'll be crisscrossing velodrome, aquatic centre e.t.c.

Just don't make quite as much sense to me, especially when there's a stadium in there, not really grandstand material for F1... Trying to piece the logic of allowing an circuit bid compared to say a Football Club using the stadium and other facilities running as it is?

There are a number of roads which need to be built around the Park, so it would be using those when it comes out of the stadium section. While it may get close to other venues, I'm sure it will be run like a street circuit and the disruption will only be for a couple of weeks.

There has been a desire to hold an F1 Race in London for as long as I can remember and this spot in East London is realistic as its ever going to get. The stadium section means thousands of people in London can come see it, while there will no doubt be other spots around the circuit with other temporary grandstands. I certainly think it will be quite good.

Wouldn't a F1 race be extremely noisy? Can't see the neighbours liking that.

You are currently talking about what was largely wasteland in East London. As it stands right now, there aren't much in the way of people living there. I'm sure we will know who has won the bid before the main building works are anywhere near finished, thus anybody intending to buy property there will know beforehand that there would be a yearly F1 Race.

In exactly the same way, if the bid is awarded to a Football Club, buyers who be aware that there will be disruption in the area due to Home games along with parking restrictions and such.

Soldato
Only issue is that the Olympic Village is being turned into normal housing after the games so I can't see the race happening in the park for noise reasons. I would contest your point that there isn't much housing there as well - Stratford has a lot of housing and it's only increased with the Olympics coming to town.

Soldato
Plus the Park lands surrounding Velodrome will soon be redesigned into permanent substantial mounting bike circuit, suitable for hosting world champs. BMX track will also remain albeit scaled down.

This was announced to Velodrome audiences, plans are probably common knowledge, just thought I’d mention it all the same. :p

Edit: Found info >
Velodrome

This will form the heart of the new Lee Valley VeloPark for use by the local community, clubs and elite athletes and run by the Lee Valley Regional Park Authority. The site will include a reconfigured BMX track, a new mountain bike track, a new road cycle circuit, as well as a cafe, bike hire and cycle workshop facilities.

Eton Manor

Two separate venues will emerge from this site. A hockey centre with two pitches will become England Hockey's national events venue and regional performance centre, and home to England and GB hockey fixtures. Five hockey clubs are interested in relocating to the centre, which will host the 2016 European Hockey Championships. Ten five-a-side football pitches will also be available. A tennis centre will comprise four indoor and six outdoor tennis courts which will be used for regional tennis development programmes and as a wheelchair tennis performance centre.

Where would there be enough room to place a full sized F1 circuit, considering all the housing plans post Olympics... :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
Only issue is that the Olympic Village is being turned into normal housing after the games so I can't see the race happening in the park for noise reasons. I would contest your point that there isn't much housing there as well - Stratford has a lot of housing and it's only increased with the Olympics coming to town.

I thought I pointed that out above?

I'm well aware that Stratford has lots of housing. However, as it stands, the Olympic Park where they want to hold the race currently doesn't.

The Olympic Village Housing will be sold, but there will also be hundreds of other homes built, most of which haven't even begun to be started yet other than the projects on the outskirts of the Park.

As I said, if the bid is awarded to an F1 Promoter, then you come along and buy a flat, you can't complain that its making too much noise when it was clear that this would be happening.

As I also said, as is more likely it will become a venue used for sport and concerts, thus people can't complain about noise, traffic and numbers of people from that either.

All the information about what is happening with the Park is on the legacy website:
http://www.londonlegacy.co.uk

Where would there be enough room to place a full sized F1 circuit, considering all the housing plans post Olympics...

It won't be a permanent F1 circuit, it will be a street race using the roads, much like Monaco. Thus the disruption will only be for a short period of time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom