Long lasting tyre recommendations

Associate
Hi all.

So I've a dacia duster that's mainly used for delivering. Great for its purpose and gets me to some tough spots especially with the 4x4.

Seems to eat tyres though. I had 4wd alignment done when I fitted a set of MAXXIS premitra HP5s back in March, I've done around 7k miles and they are down to 2mm. Mainly I am on A/B roads with very little off road/gravel tracks etc. I wouldnt suggest that I Hammer it, or have a lead foot, even on the straight A roads I'm never 10mph above the speed limit (honestly) and the wear is fairly even across the tyres too so I don't think it's a camber issue.

So I'm looking for recommendations for some long lasting tyres. Performance of course isn't essential as it's not a performance car, and the size is 215 64 16 if that makes any difference. I'm not massively clued up on the pros of summer/all season but I'm told all season should last longer than summer generally (whether this is correct I'm not sure)

So I've looked at a few options but am hoping someone can either recommend one of the options I list or something I haven't. Like I say, performance or stiff ride in XL form isn't a problem, I just don't want to go through 3 sets of tyres a year.

All season:
vredestein quatrac 6 102v XL
Kumho solus have 102v XL

Summer:
Goodyear efficientgrip suv 98h
Continental conticrosscontact LX2 98h
Bridgestone T005 Turanza 98h

Any suggestions or recommendations welcome. TIA

Soldato
I have the Continental CrossContacts on my Duster and can’t fault them for grip nor wear.

Rough B and Minor roads around here. The centres were down to 4mm when they were replaced due to bad tracking alignment causing the inner shoulders to wear out at 25,000 km.

Associate
OP
I have the Continental CrossContacts on my Duster and can’t fault them for grip nor wear.

Rough B and Minor roads around here. The centres were down to 4mm when they were replaced due to bad tracking alignment causing the inner shoulders to wear out at 25,000 km.
Did you rotate them front to rear or did you just leave them on the front all the time? That's pretty good 15k miles and only down to 4mm.

Soldato
Did you rotate them front to rear or did you just leave them on the front all the time? That's pretty good 15k miles and only down to 4mm.

Those were just used as fronts. I replace them at either end when they get to 4mm left as the local roads are covered in mud every time we have heavy rains around here. There’s barely a section of road that’s flat or straight for more than 100m at a time once you leave the towns, so I’m doing a lot more steering and braking than regular A road driving in the U.K.

Soldato
Done 8k on Michelin CrossClimates and they are down to 8mm on the front. Been absolutely great in the North York moors over the last year and a bit driven hard on a 500x

Soldato
The best long lasting tyres are cross climate type.
Tread wear is insane on them.
Obvious choice is the Michelin.

Got a set of Apollo on my van and already had 32,000 miles out of them with plenty left. (Tread wear 400)
Dry, and wet grip has been perfectly acceptable with no nasty surprises however they did take a while to scrub in.

They do need to be fitted as a set of 4 however.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Mixed feelings about the Bridgestone t005s - tread wear is OK - for the first ~8K miles they basically looked like new but now seeing some signs of wear I wouldn't really expect to see with not even 2 year old tyres - albeit they are on a pickup with mixed but mostly road use.

Also some experience with the Continentals which held up better IMO but hard to say for sure as not directly comparable, different vehicle, bit different usage.

Soldato
Michelins have always lasted the longest for me, more expensive but it seems to even out with them lasting longer. I've also had good experience of Bridgestones with longevity.

I'd have thought summer tyres should last longer as they'll be harder, all seasons will be softer to be able to work in lower temps so would probably wear quicker.

But if you're wearing a set of tyres out in 7k and not doing something like trackdays that seems pretty insane! When i had a 300+bhp Impreza i was getting over 15k out of a set of tyres and that was driving using all the performance available.

Are the tyres evenly worn across the whole surface and do the tyres on the same axel wear the same?

Soldato
Had great wear from Michelin Latitude Cross on my wife's CRV - about 35k miles. Changed them out at 3mm for another identical set.

Back
Top Bottom