Long life service, is it really enough?

Soldato
So I service my car every 12 months (5k miles per year.

The service Schedule suggests every 20,000 miles at two years which just seems like a lot for a high (ish) performance car.

so do you guys stick to the Requirements or chuck in an oil service in between?

Associate
I'd just get it serviced at the recommended intervals personally especially if you only do 5k miles a year, the oil will have been tested to be usable for 20k miles so sounds to me like a waste of money.

Soldato
I have an M135i, used BMW direct during warranty and service pack period to do yearly services (I do less than 6k per year), now I use local independents but still alternative between minor and major services each year, when it is in for its MOT.

Soldato
Oil and filter every 10k or yearly, whichever comes first.
Modern oils for road use do not need replacing every 5-6k.

Soldato
I stick to the manufacturer's recommendations regarding intervals because I believe they know more about the car's/engine's requirements than Kevin from the internet does.

I've done hundreds of thousands of miles of happy motoring this way.

Soldato
Not a performance car - vehicle is on Variable servicing which means usually somewhere between 18k - 20k.
Oil and filters at these intervals, plugs usually every other service.
This is my third such car I've ran on variable and I don't believe that level of service interval has caused me any issues.

Man of Honour
I follow the manufacturer requirements and always have done. 14 years of long life servicing and zero service interval related failures so far.

Soldato
Get your oil analysed, then you'll know for sure. Simples.

Though you will certainly see more metal particles in "long life" oil intervals, there is no avoiding that.

I can't help feeling some of the engine problems German cars had years after launch could have been made worse by this. I wouldn't want to leave the same oil in a Porsche engine for 2 years after the problems they had with bearings and bore scoring!

Back
Top Bottom