1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long term effects of mobile phone technology

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gob, 24 Apr 2010.

1. Gob

Associate

Today I was sent a letter from my mobile phone provider (O2) inviting me to participate in a health study examaning the effects of prolonged usage of mobile phones on people. The study itself focuses on the measurable effects it has over years i.e. 10-20 years, so I would be called back yearly or multiple times a year (the exact details weren't stated as it was only a couple of pages and a leaflet in size).

Anyone else been asked to volunteer for this?

I must admit it does worry me how the providers are only now creating a study of this kind after years of them stating how safe mobile phone technology is.

On the upside I will be compensated for my time, i'll be entered into a prize draw with the possibility of winning a £25 gift voucher[sarcasm]... Yay![/sarcasm]

2. mame

Sgarrista

I haven't heard this one for a few years

3. z0mbi3

Soldato

Are you sure it's O2 and not some scam?

4. Rroff

Man of Honour

I got 2 of these today, one "from" O2 and the other more plainly showing some university or other (can't remember what as I immediatly binned them both when I realised it was a survey) I think the second one was from my other provider (vodafone) but less prominently displaying the phone company's name.

EDIT: Its actually for imperial college london. I have the same thing from O2 and vodafone.

Last edited: 24 Apr 2010
  5. GravyMonster

Capodecina

Join our study and we'll give you a £25 voucher!*

*and brain cancer

6. buckeejit

Mobster

yup, got a letter from 02 today with a leaflet from some college but found it uninteresting so I chucked it in the bin.

7. sanaxe1

Soldato

Randy: Just gonna get a little bit of cancer, Stan, tell mom it's okay.

8. mame

Sgarrista

[​IMG]

9. joeyjojo

Soldato

Sounds good.

A very relevant bit of research.

10. Richie

Sgarrista

11. Dr.EM

Mobster

Vaguely related, I can't believe the supposed call timer on my phone. I've had it a few years admittedly but my calls tend to be a few seconds and very infrequent, by far mostly use text. How on earth have I spent 8hours 24minutes on it!?

12. paradigm

Caporegime

Is that it?

13. DAnDan

Mobster

Got to agree with Paradigm here, that's very minimal usage, I won't work out what it comes out to per day, but I'm sure it's a tiny amount. I'm sure I could rack up that amount of time in an average week.

14. Dr.EM

Mobster

Trust me, I was shocked! All I ever remember is a few calls along the lines of "I'll be there soon" or "I'm there", I am extremely breif as I am still on pay as you go! 3hours 9minutes of it is outgoing too! I've not made any long calls ever on my own credit, a minute at most :D

15. Taziir

Hitman

My head always feels hot after a mobile call of any length along with a mild migraine, so I've never become a fan of the things. Because of this and until research is completed and published I refuse to use my mobile for more than a minute or two if I can possibly avoid it.

It helps that I have a fixed line for work and only call my wife on the mobile. She is fixated on mobile costs so our calls tend to be pretty quick - no contracts for us and no migraines!

16. paradigm

Caporegime

Fortunately for me, 9/10 calls are made through the bluetooth kit in the car. Still, I'm looking more like 8rs a week.

Not fussed about the cost either, as work pay for my personal calls as well as business ones.

17. joeyjojo

Soldato

Don't forget most pay as you go will charge you not per second but per minute, rounded UP to the nearest minute. You can talk for a whole minute for the same price as a few seconds.
    (I think)

18. No-One

Wise Guy

I got the same letter through vodafone today. Just like yours, went straight in the bin

19. PardonTheWait

Capodecina

We're not all as important as you though.

20. asim18

Capodecina

A few years?!!

I've had my phone for a few months and my total call time is about 8 hours!