Looking for 3D movie setup (Projector)

Associate
I am looking to setup a projector and screen for movie watching and a little console gaming. Does anyone know if there are any 3D ready projectors that support bluray (or the PS2 variant when it has had its firmware updated?)?

Also would you notice a great deal if it were only 720P as opposed to 1080P?

Soldato
I had a Panasonic AX200 720p PJ for a while and loved it. Seriously, it was awesome. Not sure if you'd notice a difference just with the resolution increase to 1080p but I know the 1080p models will be better in regards to contrast and actual picture quality so they are better, but since they are a lot more expensive they want to be.

You have to ask yourself the same question I asked myself last year. If you are looking at say a £700 PJ and are happy, then look at one costing £1,500 is the more expensive one £800 better? Then start to work backwards until you find the sweet spot.

How many movies are you going to watch a week? or how many hours playing games are you going to do? I hate gaming on projectors as they are too big for me. We watch one movie a week so for us spending anything over £500 is silly which is why I managed to find a second hand one pretty cheap.

Try and work it so when the times comes to sell it on you have got your moneys worth.

Associate
OP
Cheers for the response. I have just had a quick look at some reviews of this projector and it does sound like a good buy. It doesnt say that its 3D enable though which is something I am definately after.

Are there any similar spec'd projectors that offer 3D technology?

Associate
I'd wait till late summer at the earliest before investing in a 3D projector if bluray and PS3 takes your fancy. I don't think we yet know exactly which 3D output formats the playstation will support and you'll want something absolutely guaranteed to work with it.

Edit: For example, my Acer H5360 is a budget PC projector so only supports 120Hz frame sequential 3D and DLP 3D. If the PS3 supports either of those I'm sorted but I'll be viewing in 2D only if, like Sky 3D, it uses a side-by-side format.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd wait till late summer at the earliest before investing in a 3D projector if bluray and PS3 takes your fancy. I don't think we yet know exactly which 3D output formats the playstation will support and you'll want something absolutely guaranteed to work with it.

Edit: For example, my Acer H5360 is a budget PC projector so only supports 120Hz frame sequential 3D and DLP 3D. If the PS3 supports either of those I'm sorted but I'll be viewing in 2D only if, like Sky 3D, it uses a side-by-side format.

The projector does support side-by-side I thought, but you have no way to have the projector do the glasses syncing yet.

PS3 games I'm pretty sure will be side-by-side, it can't suddenly render twice the framerate. Bluray will presumably be FullHD sequential, which again will still require the display to do the syncing.

Back
Top Bottom