1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a Case for Mod

Discussion in 'Case Central' started by Mr Jones, 20 Jun 2006.

1. Mr Jones

Capodecina

A mate and I have approx £40 for modding a case - a gift for another friend's Birthday come mid-september.

We basically need to find a case with good internal layout, MUST have a front and rear 120mm fan vent for mate's fans. Any light colour preferable.

Since we're either gonna use grey duck tape or "Fragile" tape and basically go all out mental on it (we've got like 3 rolls each here ;) ) we'll need the case to be as flat on the front as possible - easier for duck/"Fragile" taping. The plainer the look, the better. We'll not tape the back or bottom panel. Depending on how the front in-vent is shaped, we will tape over and cut out the grill.

My mate's leading the Project: Gift Taped and I'm the case hunter. Any suggessions will be appreciated.

2. benjo

Capodecina

Well for £40 the best case you could probably get is the Lanboy

3. Mr Jones

Capodecina

But there's a door... and the side window panel, will be such a waste if taped over, although it is giving me ideas... *phones mate*

4. benjo

Capodecina

:p

Well, the the most plain looking case would be the lianli-PC7, but thats a little out of the budget :( But it does have completely plain sides, a flat front and no window :)

5. Mr Jones

Capodecina

Well, mate and I have agreed, window is okay but door is a no no.

I saw that PC7+, too beautiful to duct tape over... :(
    Also, our effort will probably be in vain if the birthday boy knows it's a PC7+ taped all over, he'll most likely rip it off...!

6. Yewen

Capodecina

I can not beleive it has not been mentioned!

Jeantech Phong (or Phoong 1) the original one.

£35 case, 120mm fans, no door, flat front and sides. :)

7. benjo

Capodecina

That wasn't in the sticky :eek: ;) :D

8. a1ex2001

Capodecina

Bit difficult to get hold of the origional phong now which is a shame as the replacment is horrible, Jeantech do a plainish black case which can be had for as little as £20 http://www.jeantech.com/ubk.htm not quite a flat front but near enough I would have thought.

9. Yewen

Capodecina

I know of a fair few retaillers that still have stock. :)

10. fatty1

Gangster

When I first saw this I thought it was ok it has 120mm fans

[​IMG]

11. KizZ

Soldato

You can remove the door on the Lanboy :)

12. Raikiri

Capodecina

Horrible looks, made of thin steel, basic design, has a door and a window...

Phong would be the best in the price range for the specs wanted, available from £29.99-34.99 at a few places

13. Mr Jones

Capodecina

That looks errm... a cousin of Vento? :eek:

Anyway, I saw the Phong (Breeze in chinese-ish). Looks like the one to fit the bill... £35, bargain! I might even buy one extra for my coming rig and do something similar-ish.

Any others? Looks like me and mate's gotta head down to our local light industry to shop at the world...

14. Raikiri

Capodecina

Thermaltake swing
    Antec NSK4400 Mini Tower Case - 380W SmartPower PSU (CA-052-AN) (comes with an ok PSU if you need one)
    Aerocool magic - bit naff but comes with 2 good 120mm fans and a 3rd can be used.

15. Mr Jones

Capodecina

Note: sorry if my English is iffy but we don't really need the 2x120mm fans, we need the place for the birthday boy's own fans.

http://www.xtremecomputing.co.uk/review.php?id=22&page=2
    I just read more about the Phong, apparently the fan controller doesn't allow for after-market fans, is there any truth to that?

16. Raikiri

Capodecina

Easy to wire up :p

17. Yewen

Capodecina

Phong 2 is rubbish by the way, for the record.

The first one has speed controlled fans, not a fan controller so its probably a case of the reviewer going of on one.

As far as I know its not able to control other fans, at least on the one I saw years and years ago.

Fan controlled should not make any difference, as you did not ask for one.

Keeping 120mm fans I seriously know of nothing better.

18. Mr Jones

Capodecina

Not looking at the Phong 2 - over our budget.

Well, to keep the fans or not will depend on my mate. Thanks for that case suggession, it sure fits the bill and time for some duct-taping action...

19. Yewen

Capodecina

You have to post pictures. :p

It sure sounds like its going to either look like a crime scene or that its fallen apart and is just about held together.

I can't quite picture it. :p

20. Mr Jones

Capodecina

I'm definitely gonna take pictures of it.

It's along the lines of 'We have over 100 metres of duct tape + "Fragile" tape, what do we do with them and a PC case'

I'm really loving the price and looks on that Phong, hope I'll feel the same when we get one coz I might just have one and mod it myself - price of the case makes it expandable.