Looking for a decent Uni Laptop

Associate
Yeah, another one of these threads ZzZz, sorry... Anyways if you're still here basically i'm looking for a laptop for uni which ill be starting in a few weeks time. I have a budget of about £500 (i'm from the UK). Ill be using it mainly for note taking/essays/internet browsing/social media but not so much gaming (pc for that).

I have done some research/comparisons on the specs of some laptops after reading a few articles and this is what I have narrowed it down too:

HP 250 G6 i7
ASUS C402CA-GU010
Acer Chromebook R13

A few things I would prefer is that the laptop is: [Under 2 kg's / Portable / HD screen / Fast / Good looking? / Decent battery life] (might be a stretch)

Any and all advice/info is welcome, thanks :)

Last edited:
Associate
If that's all you are doing on the machine, any I3 with 4GB+ RAM will do that comfortably. Personal preference would be a 1080p display in case you decide to watch movies and an SSD to make it snappier.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, another one of these threads ZzZz, sorry... Anyways if you're still here basically i'm looking for a laptop for uni which ill be starting in a few weeks time. I have a budget of about £500 (i'm from the UK). Ill be using it mainly for note taking/essays/internet browsing/social media but not so much gaming (pc for that).

I have done some research/comparisons on the specs of some laptops after reading a few articles and this is what I have narrowed it down too:

HP 250 G6 i7 (£560) - https://goo.gl/PJPZSP
ASUS C402CA-GU010 (£490) - https://goo.gl/WJ3XEZ
Acer Chromebook R13 (£340) [not too keen anymore] - https://goo.gl/Upo4Ka

A few things I would prefer is that the laptop is: [Under 2 kg's / Portable / HD screen / Fast / Good looking? / Decent battery life] (might be a stretch)

Any and all advice/info is welcome, thanks :)

Hi OP. The other day I got a new laptop for college it's a Ryzen 3 2200u, 128Gb ssd, 4gb ram and vega 3 igpu. I payed £360 I have to say it's outstanding for the money. It doesn't sound like much but it very quick indeed. Surprisingly so actually. Feels seemliness in windows, fast boot, loads programs fast etc Nice build quality too with nice buttons. Compared to my other laptop with a Intel 6200u, 8gb ram and 1tb it feels much snappier. These are very light and very efficient and can genuinely lasts for 8hours off the wall when using Adobe software. Maybe more but your pushing it so about 8 would be minimum.

BG25DK4h.jpg

My advice is get the SSD it really makes all the difference. Forget the 1tb ones they are unbelievably laggy in windows.

Granted this one is not 1080p but you can get £500 versions with a 2300u and vega 6 specs and with 1080p (from a well known personal computer world)

Also they have SD card slots on the side which is very handy since because they use SSD and not HDD they don't have a lot of hard drive space.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Very nice specs and good reviews + I can pick it up relatively quickly from the store. Thanks for the info, ill probably end up getting that one... :)

Soldato
Which one the 2200u or the 2300u?

The 2300u matches the best cpu you listed. Substantially beats it in mult threading though I think because they have a much higher single core boost than the I7. (edit: no I'm wrong it's because it's true quad core vs 2 core 4 threads)

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7500U-vs-AMD-Ryzen-3-2300U/m171274vsm511816

2200 matches the Intel 7100 I believe, not too shabby either.

Ofc the advantage for you is the 2300u ones have 1080p with the 15.6" but it's £140 so for me I made do with 1366x768. Yea you can often pick them up from store since these are new and are display units also :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Wow didn't realise the AMD Ryzen 2300U was comparable to an i7, seems like intel is a lot more popular though (I've always been intel bias myself :p). But after seeing that comparison I feel way more confident in AMD technology. The laptop looks pretty sleek too which is a bonus..

Back
Top Bottom