Looking for a flatmate - Reading

Soldato
So let me get this straight. There's two of you consuming power etc and you have the master bedroom, yet you want the flatmate to pay 50%..

What about car spots? :D

Soldato
OP
Woh woh woh. Chill guys. I didn't say bills were 50/50! They're 3rds. The only thing that's 50/50 is rent and council tax. I don't think that's unreasonable considering the other person gets half the flat? They have their own bathroom like we have one too. Things like the kithen will just be the same as if I was on my own because me an gf will just be cooking for each other rather than separate. I have to have the burden of if the flatmate bails without paying bills, 12 month contracts, etc so the flatmate has admin-free worries!

Soldato
OP
I'd always split rent by the amount of people personally if the gf is staying there all the time.

But she doesn't get her own room and what if we split up? I can't demand the extra 17% from the flatmate. That would be unfair. The whole reason I'm not getting a 1 bed is in case we split and I'd be left paying the crazy £650-700 a month it is for a one bed.

I'll chat it over with whoever is interested and come to an agreement.

Soldato
OP
You realise how bad of a deal that is though with rent, by my ow experience being the biggest bill.

I don't get why it's a big thing though? If it was just me and the flatmate it'd still be 50/50. It's not like she's taking up any more room haha.

I'm obviously thinking about things as an accountants point of view :p Maybe it should be 40/45%? seriously can't justify 33%. The flats I'm looking at would be a friggin steal for only £333. I've seen them advertised as a flatshare for £650 with bills.

Like I say, I'll discuss it with anyone who's interested :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Id just like to declare myself out, however in light of what your saying splitting the rent 50/50 is a joke, id rather die than live with someone and there girl and pay half rent, obviously youll find some wad of a housemate who will do this to have a "friend" but thats beyond funny.

Soldato
OP
Id just like to declare myself out, however in light of what your saying splitting the rent 50/50 is a joke, id rather die than live with someone and there girl and pay half rent, obviously youll find some wad of a housemate who will do this to have a "friend" but thats beyond funny.

how do you know what the other person is usually paying in rent? They could be doing the same. I said I was open to offers.

Associate
I don't get why it's a big thing though? If it was just me and the flatmate it'd still be 50/50. It's not like she's taking up any more room haha.

I'm obviously thinking about things as an accountants point of view :p Maybe it should be 40/45%? seriously can't justify 33%. The flats I'm looking at would be a friggin steal for only £333. I've seen them advertised as a flatshare for £650 with bills.

Like I say, I'll discuss it with anyone who's interested :)

I don't get why you can't see how unfair it is, 50/50 means the flatmate is partially paying for your GF, rent doesn't just pay for a bedroom and bathroom, it's living space, kitchen space, parking space. However i do agree 1/3 each also isn't fair as the flat mate will have a room to himself.

To me a fair value would be a 60/40 split of rent and council tax with bills spli 3 ways and an upfront understanding that this would change to 50/50 if your GF moved out. (probs best not to have that convo in front of her :p)

Soldato
To me a fair value would be a 60/40 split of rent and council tax with bills spli 3 ways and an upfront understanding that this would change to 50/50 if your GF moved out. (probs best not to have that convo in front of her :p)

This.

I really don't think you'd find anyone who'd be happy paying the same as you, whilst you get master bedroom, en suite and potentially splitting rent with your gf.

Think of it like this... Would you and your girlfriend pay the same as a couple in your situation (say £500) but you have the shared bathroom and smaller bedroom - whilst the other couple get the master and ensuite for the same price?

Okay, you're taking on some admin - but isnt that an advantage? You're choosing your housemate, you've picked a house you like with everything that suits you, location etc.

Soldato
OP
Think of it like this... Would you and your girlfriend pay the same as a couple in your situation (say £500) but you have the shared bathroom and smaller bedroom - whilst the other couple get the master and ensuite for the same price?

It's a two bed flat with two bathrooms so that's one of the main reasons why I said 50/50 split originally. With the en-suite, the master is actually slightly smaller than the 2nd bedroom but I suppose I can see both sides of the argument. £450/£550 maybe be a better split. £425/£575 at a very push. I'm just comparing it to the market rent for flatshares of the same standard. Most have a shared bathroom too whereas this is a dedicated bathroom.

Soldato
I could probably accept a 45/55 if it was me, the saving you give them would make it a bit more attractive when you think the £50 could go towards bills.

Back
Top Bottom