Looking for a new car stereo

Associate
Hi all,

Hope this is in the right place - feel free to close/move if not!

It's been a long while since I bought a car stereo head unit - getting on for ten years - and I'm very much out of the loop with this sort of technology. I was wondering if someone could recommend a unit which ticks the following boxes for me. I have a OnePlus 5T phone, and would like...

- USB connection to the phone for charging, and control of music playing - even basic controls like back/next/shuffle would be enough. Am unsure if, when playing music over USB, it's the phone which does the processing and just shifts it into the speakers via head unit, OR if the head unit is doing the work. In the case of the latter, I would need it to be able to manage FLAC playback.
- Aux/A2DP/CD would be nice, but not essential.

Uh...that's probably it - mostly about the music, and the ability to charge on the go, as I tend to use my phone as a satnav occasionally.

Any input gratefully received - thanks in advance!

Soldato
What budget and single or double DIN? Assuming single DIN, just about any of the cheap head units will give that functionality without much hassle. Even a £60 from Halfords Pioneer MVH-390BT would do the trick, although that does have no CD drive if that is an issue for you.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
What budget and single or double DIN? Assuming single DIN, just about any of the cheap head units will give that functionality without much hassle. Even a £60 from Halfords Pioneer MVH-390BT would do the trick, although that does have no CD drive if that is an issue for you.
Thanks for the reply! I have room for a double but currently an adapter which splits the space into a single + some storage - happy with single or double really. Budget up to £200 but probably could be a bit flexible if it changes my life ;)

Caporegime
Completely off topic, but do those old school stereos still exist? I've just googled Sony Xplod but all I'm returning is Gumtree ads and whatnot. I remember the good old days, Kenwood had a few good ones too :D

Soldato
Car manufacturers definitely added a few nails in to the aftermarket stereo market with their in dash equipment but also meant car stereo theft went down.

I just wish these android units would be a bit more reliable and work with things like steering wheel controls.and Convers+ for my Mondeo.

Back
Top Bottom