1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking for a quiet dvdrw for htpc

Discussion in 'Optical Storage & Writing' started by sare^baw's, 27 Mar 2006.

1. sare^baw's

Wise Guy

i just bought a second hand htpc, it has a pioneer 109 installed and when i play a dvd it is rather noisey, can someone please suggest a good dvdrw dual layer drive that will be quiet for playing dvds. Will need to have good buring capabilities and be good at reading old discs as well as new.

2. james.miller

Capodecina

i think they all are tbh. have you tried running something like nero drive speed to lock the speed when playing a dvd? works like a charm on my nec drive:)

3. sare^baw's

Wise Guy

hi

i have a nec 3520 and 3540 which i could use from another pc, i have nero drive speed but never used it, would this keep the read speed down and would this in turn affect read speed when ripping a dvd from the drive?

iirc the pioneer 109 was not that great a burner anyway as it had some issues and thats why i never bought one, would i be better sticking in one of my nec burners and if i use nero drive speed this will keep the drive quiet when playing dvds from it. What would be a good speed to lock the drive at?

thanks

4. james.miller

Capodecina

yeah you can choose what you want to lock the drive to with the software. <5x really is silent, and perfect for watching dvd's. If you want to read at high speed just choose max read, or close the program down altogether:)

5. sare^baw's

Wise Guy

ok thanks for that i will try it out later, will need to install nero first.

6. smids

Soldato

Talking at full speed here, generally NEC's are the loudest drives. I've had 3 and my Pio is much, much quieter. However, so long as you control it using something like Drive Speed, it is fine.

It's more like a whoosh sound with the Pioneer whereas it is more like a motor noise IMO, with the NEC.

7. ACESHIGH

Mobster

Samsung SH-W162C 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter (Beige) (CD-069-SA)

i have this drive & its very quiet, it has its own options for normal running & quiet mode :cool:

8. sare^baw's

Wise Guy

many thanks for the info guys i have locked the pioneer at 5x and will see how it goes.

not worth trying the nec drives then if they are more noisey

9. bledd

Don

there's a utility for pioneers called quietdrive

i'll try and dig it out for you :)

it lowers the speed of the drives (and can speed them back up again) it saves the info to the drive, so it stays like that until you change it again

here you go

http://bleddyn.co.uk/files/QuietDriveUtility.zip

only works with pioneers (dvdrom and dvdrw)

Last edited: 3 Apr 2006
  10. smids

Soldato

Doesn't that only work with DVR-AxxXLA drives? I didn't think it worked with the standard DVR-xxx drives.

11. bledd

Don

i've used it on every pioneer dvd drive i've owned :)

12. smids

Soldato

Excellent. I don't need it, I modded the drive to remove the speed lock (MCSE) and just control it with Nero Drive Speed. Works a treat. I last tried that Quietdrive and it didn't work, but then again, my Pio 110D is very much no longer an 110D :D.

13. sare^baw's

Wise Guy

thanks for the help but that quiet drive does not see my pioneer drive, does it need a modded firmware for this?

also drivespeed dont work properly although hitting the silent and fast buttons does work it does not detect the various speeds for the drive

Last edited: 3 Apr 2006
  14. smids

Soldato

Then it appears Pio have locked it. It didn't work on my drive either, only with the A10XLA firmware did it work. I have the 110D with a modded firmware.

15. sare^baw's

Wise Guy

so if i get a modded firmware it should work ok ;)

16. smids

Soldato

Not exactly, you'll need the Pio A10XLA official firmware crosh flashed to the drive.