Looking for a Road/Gravel ebike with/without Throttle in UK

Associate
Hi All,

Please could someone recommend a good eBike each with 'and' without Throttle in UK? I am not looking for a full-blown eMTB, just a Road/Gravel bike that can climb some minimal hill terrain.

Budget can be upto circa GBP 1500 for a decent-built bike.

Also hope its Motor capacity shouldn't exceed 250W to make it road legal as a Pedelec in UK? or has the 2016 rules changed since..

Thanks in advance,
Sandy.

Soldato
As an alternative DillengerUK do rear wheel and mid-drive conversion kits just in case yo have a suitable bike. As there are still the 250W + 15 mph limits on UK bikes I went with an "offroad" rear wheel hub motor. I found them to be very helpful via their support portal.

Just a review of one of their kits.
https://youtu.be/3HuKoFSr5JQ

Associate
OP

Thanks tom_e

As an alternative DillengerUK do rear wheel and mid-drive conversion kits just in case yo have a suitable bike. As there are still the 250W + 15 mph limits on UK bikes I went with an "offroad" rear wheel hub motor. I found them to be very helpful via their support portal.

Just a review of one of their kits.
https://youtu.be/3HuKoFSr5JQ

Thanks bimbleuk - you mean the shop at West Drayton? I also hear Revos friction drive kits are good too. Any ideas.

Soldato
Thanks tom_e

Thanks bimbleuk - you mean the shop at West Drayton? I also hear Revos friction drive kits are good too. Any ideas.

I'd rate the Dillinger kits as heavy duty. They are an AUS company but have a fulfilment centre near Heathrow.

Switch kits at the medium level as their kits tend to be easier to install and have a lighter combined electronics/battery. Cheaper if you sign up and wait for a kickstarter batch. Perfect for a hybrid or Brompton bike.

Revos fiction drive I'd definitely put at the light end. Providing some assistance for urban commuting. Battery seems quite small for any serious hill assistance. I'd want an extended demo of it myself.

The reason I went for a Dillinger "offroad" kit is because my bike commute is 1hr each at high average speed. The UK 250W motor is actually rating is more than adequate for assistance in most situations and the motors tend to be higher rated anyway. More like 350W. Mid-drive kit would have been better but I wanted to swap wheels for weekend riding.

Any integrated cross/road bike with the Bosch CX gen 4 motor will be more than good enough for your needs. Cost might be a little high on those being the premium motor option.

Back
Top Bottom