Looking for a text adventure game - any of these still exist?

Soldato
OP
Not sure if it strictly counts as a text adventure but https://jonnocode.itch.io/the-house-abandon is free and very, very highly thought of; plus, who can't not love the old screechy loading music *drifts off in a wave of nostalgia* :D

There is a pack on Steam with a remixed version of The House Abandon called Stories Untold

Yeah thanks I just completed that game - it's this game the put me on the hunt for more games like it...

Associate
NH9lUG3.jpg

Text adventures! yes, that's what I feel like playing, having just spent money on a new graphics card.:p

I don't think Infocom had too much of a presence in this country during their heyday*, I remember reading about them, but not many people actually playing them.

Level 9, Delta 4 and especially Magnetic Scrolls were the established giants in this country.

I remember buying Wonderland (Magnetic Scrolls 1990) for my birthday and being embarrassed to take it out the bag to show people - thinking they'd say it was for girls...:o:rolleyes::cry:

@heartburnron - Did you end up playing any good text adventures?

*Awaits cries of "Yes they were!!"

Associate
@Sean34 - I never did find any modern ones similar to Stories Untold. I did have a play around with some purely text adventures on an emulator type software I found. Been a few years now so I can't even remember where I found them.

I might load up the Spectrum emulator and replay "Red Door" - a game I can remember the name of and the fact it was given away on an issue of 'Your Sinclair' - but bugger all else.:p

I've never played Stories Untold, so might pick that up in the next sale.

Associate
This is a fairly decent one that potentially has infinite possibility as it uses AI learning to develop more and more stories to interact with, various themes to choose from as well:

https://play.aidungeon.io/

Plus it's free!
Some of the responses it gives are a little weird, but it's getting better as more people play and it learns.

Edit:
If you want something with some visuals and like the Vampire the Masquerade roleplay games, then Vampire: Shadows of New York and Vampire: Night Road are both pretty good. Though I'd wait for the next Steam sale to pick them up as they generally goes dirt cheap in those.

Last edited:
Associate
Lifeline games in Android are ok as well, you received messages and happens in real time so have to wait a few hours for a response etc

Back
Top Bottom