• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Looking for best GPU for a i3-9100F (no gaming)

Associate
Hi all,
To be short and sweet,
I'm building my dad a PC and I'm looking for an appropriate GPU to go with his i3-9100F.
He won't be doing any gaming, but his biggest complaint with his 2008 PC has been that it freezes and lags on multitasking. He often has a lot of chrome tabs open at once, and many file transfers between internal or external harddrives. He also watches plenty of 1080p movies, but I'd love for the option of 4k movies to run smoothly for any future proofing.

Thanks in advance. I've done my own research, but all the results are gaming related. If the CPU had on board graphics I probably wouldn't even bother with a GPU

Associate
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it the CPU that does the grunt work for that and not the GPU? If he's not gaming the GPU wouldn't matter much as long as it has the outputs he needs.

Associate
OP
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it the CPU that does the grunt work for that and not the GPU? If he's not gaming the GPU wouldn't matter much as long as it has the outputs he needs.
Yeah, you're not wrong. Unfortunately that specific CPU has no onboard graphics at all, so the PC won't even boot without a GPU in. But if I'm understanding you correctly, could I put the cheapest GPU in I could find, and because the CPU is very new, it would still run workstation stuff and 4K videos really well?

Associate
OP
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pali...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-043-pl.html

A GT 1030 is ample for 4K playback - @60Hz mind you - (not 4k gaming!) that combined with an i3 9100F should tick your box nicely. :)

£65 for that one, a lot less if you bag a used example.

I assume your getting him an SSD for the new build?

Ooh that looks ideal, thankyou! Especially price wise. Yep, he's got a 240GB SSD just for Windows boot, with some extra space for any programs or files he fancies to be super fast, and a 4TB regular harddrive

Associate
OP
Just to finish this post up, I went ahead with this build and have two power supplies infront of me, a Corsair VS550 (550W) and a Corsair CV450 (450W). I'm not sure which one to use. All of the PSU calculators give me results of between 350-400 for my entire build, but I've heard that you should get a much bigger PSU than required so it isn't running at 80 or 90% all the time.

This PC build is:
ASRock B365M Pro 4 Micro ATX motherboard
Intel i3-9100F
Palit GT 1030
4x8GB DDR4 3200Mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro
240GB SSD
4TB 5400 3.5 HDD
DVD RW drive
WiFi M2 card

Soldato
Either of those would be absolutely fine given his usage, most PSU calculators massively overstate requirements. The CV might be the superior of the two though, unless that VS is the 2017 + gray label version.

The only half decent calculator I'm aware of is Be Quiet's.

I doubt that rig would pull more than 150-200W even under max load.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom