looking for help with upgrading ram

Associate
hi im still learning some of the pc hardware side of things im looking to upgrade my ram any advice would be appreciated thanks
i currently have 16gb corsair vengeance ddr4 2400mhz and the motherboard is asus h310-plus r2.0
thanks again

Man of Honour
Is it one stick or two sticks? It looks like you only have 2 memory slots, so if it's 2 sticks you'd have to sell them and buy 32GB 16x2.

The motherboard only supports 2666, but the price difference between 2666 and 3000+ is pretty low, so I wouldn't worry about it, just make sure it's a good deal.

Associate
OP
Thanks man i appreciate the reply and yeah i found out today that my motherboard wouldnt support the ram im looking for so im gonna have to buy a new motherboard and im open to suggestions if anyone has one haha the ram im looking to get is the rgb corsair vengence 16gb (2x8) 3200 mega hertz thanks again

Man of Honour
Thanks man i appreciate the reply and yeah i found out today that my motherboard wouldnt support the ram im looking for so im gonna have to buy a new motherboard and im open to suggestions if anyone has one haha the ram im looking to get is the rgb corsair vengence 16gb (2x8) 3200 mega hertz thanks again
I wouldn't buy a new motherboard just to have faster memory, it's unlikely to be worth spending so much.

Associate
OP
What's the current PC specs and what are hoping to achieve by upgrading to faster ram?

Well i play escape from tarkov while streaming and its kinda prone to stutters at times i just wanted to try faster ram speed to see if it made a differance at all
My specs are
Intel i7-9700 (8 core)
16gb corsair vengence ddr4 2400mhz
Asus h310-plus r2.o motherboard
8gb nvidia rtx 2070 super

Soldato
You should be able to run your current ram a 2666 if you adjust it manually but that's the max the board will support.

Since your i7 9700 is only 8/8 cores threads that is probably holding you back a bit also especially when your streaming.

Associate
OP
You should be able to run your current ram a 2666 if you adjust it manually but that's the max the board will support.

Since your i7 9700 is only 8/8 cores threads that is probably holding you back a bit also especially when your streaming.
Thanks mate really appreciate the tips so probs buy a better cpu before upgrading anything else then and do i change the speed to 2666 in the bios ? Cheeers

Soldato
Thanks mate really appreciate the tips so probs buy a better cpu before upgrading anything else then and do i change the speed to 2666 in the bios ? Cheeers
The only CPU upgrade on your current board would be a 9900 although you'd still be stuck at 2666 ram speed unless you upgraded the board also which at that point it would probably be better to just grab a B550 board and a ryzen 7 5800X then atleast your on a current gen platform with the option to go for 12 or 16 cores later on.

Associate
Well i play escape from tarkov while streaming and its kinda prone to stutters at times i just wanted to try faster ram speed to see if it made a differance at all
My specs are
Intel i7-9700 (8 core)
16gb corsair vengence ddr4 2400mhz
Asus h310-plus r2.o motherboard
8gb nvidia rtx 2070 super

While I love throwing hardware at things to see any improvements as much as the next person, aren't you better off approaching this with monitoring tools to try and see where your actual bottleneck is?

Even starting with the task manager should give you some insight; just leave it running on the performance tab set to memory and let it plot the data. When the issue occurs, tab out and see (if you have a second monitor you don't even have to tab out).
Repeat for CPU, etc.

Back
Top Bottom