Looking for some books for for Uni.

Caporegime
Well that’s not just applicable to local companies but a variety of careers. Increasingly companies will be offering remote work anyway.

The advice of you don’t need a degree to get the career you want is probably bad in plenty of cases and limits your options.

Caporegime
Yeah they are more common, having one or two vs not having one at all is another string or two in your bow so to speak... and gives you many more options for your career. In some cases you’d be hard pushed to pursue some careers without them or would be initially.

Technically it’s not a regulated profession and literally anyone can in theory start a start up or hire who they want but in various fields you’d be the exception not the rule without a degree. Don’t get me wrong I’ve known decent product managers, project managers etc.. without degrees.

@Smiffy-UK might be worth taking a quick look at degree apprentiships - you can combine working and getting a (vocational) degree over 4 years, I think you’d take a pay cut down to 20-something-k initially but would be on 30-something by the end of the course. You’d also have no tuition fees to pay/no student debt and several years work experience + likely offer of continuing work with the sponsoring company by the time you finish.

Soldato
Earlier on in ones career and at a young age degrees are important. After a couple of years and some experience then degrees are not really relevant and it's more what experience and skills you've got.

Even saying that, a lot of jobs have a degree in a computer engineering subject as simply a checkbox on a list of things they are looking for in a candidate whatever the experience level.

But still I know people who are earning big money with no degrees in IT.

You definitely don't need one.

Associate
When I started a software degree, 25 years ago, we were pointed towards K&R for C and Stroustrup for C++. It was suggested once we'd got those down, we'd be fine learning other languages without books. For me, that probably wasn't a million miles off. Certainly the few language books I bought after those got nowhere near as much reading.
I'm not sure I'd buy (or recommend) language books now though, not with that new fangled Internet.

Well, maybe K&R still. Don't let pointers give you nightmares...

:D

Back
Top Bottom