Looking For upgrade advice please!

Associate
Hi There,

I'm looking to see what my upgrade options are and was wondering if anyone could help with advice !

I got my PC back in late 2011! (built it myself) but it ended up mainly getting used for youtube and facebook as I fell deeper into console gaming! (I also do some photography so some processing is done on it)

So I've mainly been gaming on a PS4. But I would like to upgrade my PC so I can play some of the Microsoft games that don't come to PS4 (Forza, Sea of Thieves etc)

My current specs are as follows:

XFX 850W XXX Edition Modular '80 Plus Silver' Power Supply
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor - Retail
Gainward GeForce GTX 570 Phantom 1280MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Corsair XMS3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SATA 6Gbs Solid State Drive (CSSD-F120GB3-BK)
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gbs 64MB Cache - OEM (WD1002FAEX)

I'm so far out of the loop, I don't know if I need to start a new build or can just upgrade some parts! I'm not really sure how much I'm willing to spend more looking to see how much I would need to spend!

Thanks in advance!

Associate
New GPU, another 8g ram and you'd probably be fine. Especially if you overclock your CPU a bit.

SSDs have moved on a bit, depending on what else you have on there 1tb could be a bit limiting. Some game installs are over 70g now.

Associate
OP
Hello again!

Thanks for the great advice ! I was pleased to learn I could get away with upgrade so little hardware!
However went looking at the prices of GFX cards I could no believe it! (Im reluctant to spend more than the price of a Xbox one X)

Upon some research I've discovered I can get a used GTX 970 for sub £200. I believe it needs 2x6pin connectors which my psu supports (it has 2 6+2 pins)
Looks like i can get another 8gig of the same ram for 70 odd quid!
(I actually have more storage then listed in the spec)

My question is would this be a decent upgrade for the money ?

Thanks in advance.

Man of Honour
@Ac1dh0u$3. yes to the above

if you have member's market access you can get them for cheaper. and knowing that you won't get a lemon too.

also, a bigger ssd is a must.

Associate
You can run a smaller SSD for your operating system, and the HDD for your files. I'd recommend not going smaller than 250GB for windows + updates.

Back
Top Bottom