looking some upgrade advice please on my current gaming pc!

Associate
hi,

my current build is

i5 4690k , Motherboard Z97P-D3
16gb DDr3 , EVGA 600 W1, 80+ WHITE 600W, Power Supply
PowerColor Radeon RX 580 Red Dragon V2 8192MB GDDR5
Win7 64bit. Zalman Z12 Plus Midi Tower Windowed Case

and i aint upgraded for sometime except the gpu which aint that old. but i mainly just need to find a new motherboard, cpu and ram i think and im not sure about my psu!

i have a budget of £400-£500 at the moment and hoping i wont need to upgrade again for a while :)
thanks for any help that someone can give me on this.

Man of Honour
Is You system lacking in gaming or elsewhere, do you have an ssd ?

A 6 core cpu, motherboard and ram will cost you approx £350 dependent on motherboard 8 core add £100.

THere are new cpu bring released 5th November mite be worth waiting.

Associate
OP
yeah i have an ssd for c drive but my games run from my wd blue slave, and recently some games are lagging a lot until i turn down some gpu settings but only newer ones like control and the new cod. i aint bought a new mb or cpu since 2016 as i never needed it. so i could wait till nov then i can buy upgrade items from OCuk as i always prefer to do.

if i cant wait what would be the best items you speak of to buy now on OC please ?

Man of Honour
What resolution are you gaming at ?

Turning the graphics detail down points the gpu but you should also check the cpu usage.

Download msi afterburner to monitor cpu/gpu usage This will give an indication of what's slowing it down.

Soldato
A lot of modern games stream assets from whatever drive they're installed on, so a larger SSD should certainly help.

As for CoD, it's an iffy experience even for those on higher specified machines.

Moving on from a 4c4t CPU will probably help too, I'd look at a B550/3600/16GB of 3200 + DDR4 for your budget along with a nice big SSD.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £539.96 (includes shipping: £0.00)

I wouldn't normally recommend the 3600XT but if you buy directly from OCUK there's only £10 difference between the 3600 models.

There's also a MSI cashback offer on at the moment if you buy both from the same (selected, such as OCUK) retailer:

https://uk.msi.com/Promotion/back-to-school-2020#AMD-Motherboard

You'd get £36 back with what I've linked.

You could wait for the new Zen 3 Ryzen chips but we know they will be more expensive than the Zen 2 and might be outside of your budget unless you're willing to spend more.

Associate
OP
A lot of modern games stream assets from whatever drive they're installed on, so a larger SSD should certainly help.

As for CoD, it's an iffy experience even for those on higher specified machines.

Moving on from a 4c4t CPU will probably help too, I'd look at a B550/3600/16GB of 3200 + DDR4 for your budget along with a nice big SSD.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £539.96 (includes shipping: £0.00)

I wouldn't normally recommend the 3600XT but if you buy directly from OCUK there's only £10 difference between the 3600 models.

There's also a MSI cashback offer on at the moment if you buy both from the same (selected, such as OCUK) retailer:

https://uk.msi.com/Promotion/back-to-school-2020#AMD-Motherboard

You'd get £36 back with what I've linked.

You could wait for the new Zen 3 Ryzen chips but we know they will be more expensive than the Zen 2 and might be outside of your budget unless you're willing to spend more.

thanks for that and the advice is greatly appreciated, and will that motherboard be ok with windows 7 as i put a tomahawk in my kids pc etc and it had so many issues till i changed it to windows 10 and at start on windows 7 it did say windows 7 was recommended. but rather than wait for the new cpu i think this would be a firm upgrade for me and in budget range :) so i guess the 1tb ssd would be as my main drive and some gaming but what would be a good 2nd gaming drive to get later if 1tb wasn't big enough?
my current ssd drive is 119gb so nothing on par with that one or its tech

and the afterburner sounds like a cool program to get so i will get that thanks.

And Cod was a nightmare on pc so ran to xbox instead for that 1 game :)

Back
Top Bottom