Looking to build a new system (completely new at this!!)

Associate
As the title states, I am looking to build a new system!

I am by no standard an expert at this which is why I am here looking for advice, I do however have basic knowledge and have built a system in the past (a good 9-10 years ago with a GTS 450 + AMD)

This is going to be a project for the next month or 2 (and I will update this post with all pictures once started)

What I am looking for is advice and suggestions based on what I have ready to order. The main use for the system would be general use and gaming (plugged into my QLED 65), I won't be using a monitor at this point.

CPU - i7 9700k LGA 1151
GPU - EVGA 2080 8GB
Motherboard - ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-H (I picked this one because of the M2 ports which I wanted to use)
RAM - DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 2x 16GB 3200Mhz
Cooler - Hydro H100 (dual 120mm)
PSU - Corsair Modular RM650
Case - Any suggestions? (I don't want anything plastic/cheap looking)

Water cooling? I would like to look into this but not sure where to start)

I haven't used the M2 ports before which is why I wanted to include them. Is there any advantage over M2 from SSD?

Again, take it easy as this is new and I may be way off from what I have picked.

Look forward to suggestions :)

Soldato
Hello
I've put this spec together for you. AMD Ryzen 3rd generation is the best bang for buck right now, the 3700x will be good for gaming & better than the 9700k for productivity (ie video editing) M.2 SSD there is a consensus that you may not notice a difference in speed between a SATA SSD & an M.2 one. OK less cables in the case but you may lose use of some SATA ports on the motherboard (I think this does vary on some boards though)
The Bequiet bundle looks good value, I know its air cooling but I'm not one for water cooling/AIO's as there's a Pump to make more noise & another moving part to go wrong in the future, also Coolant leaks, though some AIO's have non conductive coolant in them & it would make a mess.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,703.04 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Associate
OP
@Grimley

I noticed the RAM is less than what I originally planned.

Would I see any benefit in going for 4x 8GB (Quad Channel) instead of dual channel? (Again, not sure if this is a thing for AMD or at all)

Soldato
/\/\/\ Quad channel RAM is a feature of High End Desktop (HEDT for short) setups which is either AMD Threadripper or X299 for Intel. AMD Ryzen relies on fast dual channel RAM for optimum performance, 3600Mhz is the sweet spot for 3rd Gen CPU's.

As for me picking 16GB when you want 32GB - My bad :rolleyes: Personally I don't think you will benefit from 32GB over 16GB when Gaming & higher speed 32GB ram prices are too expensive for my taste.

This RAM is recommended on here if you want 32GB & you are prepared to overclock this RAM.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £148.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

Back
Top Bottom