1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to buy a Electric Guitar..

Discussion in 'Music, Box Office, TV & Books' started by Kesz, 15 Mar 2010.

1. Kesz

Hitman

Hey,

I've decided to buy a electric guitar, but I have absolutely no idea about them what so ever, I don't even know what a good price is, or what tools I'd need, bar the obvious amp, strings and the guitar itself.

I've seen a fair few on amazon, I've been mainly looking at the starter kits which are around £120-£140, is that a good price range?

If anyone knows a good site, or can provide some handy information I'd appreciate it.

2. jr1104

Wise Guy

Going by your post I'm guessing you don't play guitar at the moment, and are looking to learn? If so, one of the starter kits is probably best, since you don't want to spend too much before you've even started. The ones by the big name companies are usually slightly better, and give you a guitar that is at least semi-decent. Something like this would be good

3. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

The kit above is good. If you want to spend a bit more for a really good starter guitar, then spend the £180 or so for a Yamaha Pacifica 112 and get any old cheap amp or even a headphone amp.

4. Gustov

Sgarrista

Yamaha Pacifica 112, up your budget.

5. Kesz

Hitman

Yup, never played one, definitely looking to learn. Thanks for the info and link.

I'll have a look into the Yamaha too, thanks Gustov and Vonhelmet.

6. EvilGrin

Wise Guy

Another vote for the Pacifica 112, I bought a Vintage SG copy as my first guitar - big mistake, didn't get on with it, almost got completely put off. Picked up my girlfriend's (now wife's) Yamaha Pacifica and started to learn on that instead, and I came on leaps and bounds... 3 years on and I still enjoy playing it even though we've got a Fender strat, a few Ibanez's, Gibson SG etc. etc. :)

Having played quite a few squires, although I don't think they deserve the bad press they get, the low-end ones can be really rough around the edges, I've not played a squier strat that even comes close to the quality of a Pacifica, so for an extra £40, it really is a no-brainer in my opinion.

Last edited: 16 Mar 2010
  7. Marky

Capodecina

I got a guitar that was similar to the one linked by jr1104.
    It's a decent starter kit, and one that includes all the appropriate equipment (Such as pick, practice amp, strap etc.) :)

8. Kesz

Hitman

I quite like the V and X shaped guitars. For reference, what companies make those styles?

9. jr1104

Wise Guy

Stagg do a budget flying V guitar, and I'm sure you could pick up a cheap amp to go with it. The Yamaha mentioned above is probably the best to go for to begin with, I've seen it recommended in lots of different places.

10. King85

Wise Guy

Yamaha Pacifica is the one to go for if you're looking for the best bang for your buck, also a smaller amp such as a Roland Cube will do for a beginner

11. ElDude

Mobster

I've got the Yamaha, and it's so good, the money you pay for it is almost insulting them! Had it 2 years now and can't fault it.

12. ElDude

Mobster

Don't forget the Line6 Toneport GX. They are awesome little things. I also have the Fender champion 600 valve amp which is great. Not so great if you want varying sounds though.

13. King85

Wise Guy

OP if you're in the West Mids area or would be interested in travelling let me know as I have one of these i'd be willing to let go of for £200 if you're interested.

14. drew64

Hitman

damn you!
    was going to offer mine which is the same in blue :(

15. King85

Wise Guy

Offer it you may be closer

16. Kesz

Hitman

Thanks for the replies peeps. The Yamaha it is.

I live in the south, so no can do Drew and King :p

17. King85

Wise Guy

Good choice, remember a little extra spent now and you'll save money later on! Also have as many lessons as you can afford at the start as it'll save you getting any bad habits

18. robgmun

Capodecina

Any recommendations for bass Guitars?

19. Kesz

Hitman

So, I finally got around to buying one. But bearing in mind this is the first time I have ever picked one up and attempted to play it I have a question.

When plugged into the amp (turned on with volume up) it sounds like, and I know it's not, a acoustic guitar.

My friend mentioned a pedal? When I brought the package they didn't say anything about a pedal. I have included shots of the set up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

Without wanting to sound rude, your ear probably just doesn't recognise the sounds. It's also only got single coil pickups which do have a very clean sound, and I assume you're not using any effects given your next question. Is it a strat of some kind? A Squier?

I assume you mean an effects pedal of some kind? I don't know anything about effects pedals to be honest...