Looking to take my CBT.

Soldato
In the midst of filling out the form for a Provisional (As far as I'm aware it is the D1 form?)

I have never done any of this before so it's all alien to me and don't want to mess it up.

Any tips or advice? I was going for a car, but thought the bike would be a better option for now.

The mother approved surprisingly, even after the worried mother chat.

Any tips/advice? I have begun putting some into savings if/when I complete the CBT and do decide it is the path for me. I am just dreading roundabouts, mainly being on the inside lane, or knowing when to allow vehicles to go round, or when I'm OK to go round.

Has anyone done a CBT on an automatic? I can't imagine its the most popular choice but it is an option I am considering. I know manuals are more fun/better to some but I want something I will be able to handle.

I really don't want a moped, but if push comes to shove I will consider it.

Edit: If I complete the CBT and don't fail (not sure how hard it is to fail) The price point for a bike will be around £2000. But will have to be a 125. Pretty sure I can learn on a 125 and don't need to work up from a 50cc?

Caporegime
The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to take your own gear when going for your CBT. If you don't, you'll end up using their stuff which is usually manky, stinky, old, worn-by-a-million-other-people stuff which will ruin the day. Gloves and helmet at least. Obviously they might even require this now what with the murderous virus on the loose but if they don't, do it anyway. This is of course assuming you're committed and will definitely use the stuff afterwards.

For gear you want the best fitting stuff you can get, particularly a helmet. It must fit snugly but not too tight, you want it just putting a bit of pressure on your cheeks when you put it on, this will obviously reduce as the helmet wears so make sure it's nice and tight. You can order helmets from Sportsbikeshop.co.uk and return them until you find one that fits. Personally I'd ring them and ask if you can order a few to try out and return the ones you don't want. Most places will agree, however again the rona might have changed all this so phone first. Alternatively go in store somewhere and try some out. Keep in mind that helmets are like clothes, just because one brand's large fits you, doesn't mean you're a large. A different brand might be a medium, or an extra large. Remember: you have one head, protect it as much as possible. Rather spend £300 less on a bike and buy a better helmet if it comes to it.

As for the CBT itself, don't go in to it thinking it's a test, it's not. It's training. They'll plop you on a bike / scooter and let you have a fiddle to determine how much training you need and go from there. You'll need to pick from a manual bike or a scooter, pick whichever you want. There's a short highway code test, so brush up on your signs and speed limits but again, this isn't designed to make you fail but rather ensure you're a safe rider.

A 50cc doesn't even come in to it, you start on a 125 and will also be buying a 125 when you pass. What is the purpose of this bike? Commuting? If so, how far?

Loads of people discount scooters because they're "teh gheys" and other old opinions which should've died with dial up modems but you soon come to learn that although fun, a lot of bikers are old men who haven't changed their opinion in 50 years and will still tell you that an FS1E is one of the best small bikes ever built. For a 125, I'd be going for a scooter. You have quite a bit of storage for locks and whatnot and many will also swallow your helmet when you're parked up so you don't have to lug the thing around shops. They're also just as quick, if not quicker than geared bikes and just as fuel efficient too. The weather protection will be a massive help on rainy days, as will the little cubbies and storage areas by the handlebars, some of which even have USB ports for charging phones and toys, or can at least be retrofitted with one.

Geared bikes are more fun, however this only applies to larger capacity stuff as a 125 is going to be pinned on the throttle stop at 70mph all day long regardless of the transmission, and that little engine will be screaming its nuts off to get there, so keep the performance fun for when you get a bigger bike and instead use the practicality of a scooter to get the 125 stage out of the way.

Let us know what kind of journies you intend to do, whether you're willing to live with all the impracticalities of a geared bike for a manual box and we can go from there :)

Soldato
Personally I'd recommend doing the CBT on a geared bike if only so that you have a good controlled environment and instruction for learning to use the clutch and gears. By all means then get an auto / scooter once you've completed the CBT but having that tuition on using the gears is going to be a godsend if/when you get a manual bike later on in your riding life (you may be rusty but it'll be easier to pick it back up than learn it fresh).

I would echo @Diddums comments about gear though, for sure get your own if you can, at the very least a helmet but ideally gloves too (main sweat contact areas) if not jacket, boots and trousers (although I did do my CBT in normal denim jeans).

With regards to SBS and trying and returns, I'm not too sure they are keen on helmet returns at the moment due to covid-19 but best to double check on their website. I know they've said that if you try on in store you need to pre-book and wear a balaclava. They are a great shop though so it's well worth using them online or in-store if you have one local-ish.

Associate
Some really good advice already but I'll give you my thought from personal experience, I've had a moped many years ago and in 2018 did my CBT and kept a 125 bike for a year then did my full test.
CBT as both above have said is more a check to ensure you'll be safe rather than a test, sure you could fail it but it's rather unlikely, 1 guy I know dropped the bike and still managed to complete the day and get his certificate.
But I'd always suggest to brush up on highway code and speed limits etc.
I did my CBT with my own gear, well worth it as stated above, who know who's head has been in their lids.
Plus you'll need it anyways, and buy decent stuff, sure you don't need Dianese jacket and top spec Aria helmets but please don't go to Halford and buy a £50 lid and a hoodie. I spent about £500 on my first set and I still use it all today aside from the helmet. Buy decent and it will last.

I did mine on a geared bike, I see no reason why not to, you'd only limit youself later on, its honestly not difficult and you soon pick it up.

As for moped v bike, firstly don't bother with a 50cc assuming your old enough for a 125 go that route.
I went down the bike route, although I would base your decision on what you intend to use it for, if I was going through city centres and needed storage then a moped would be good. But I'm glad I did the bike route, if anything it's more practice with gears etc as you continue to learn. And yes as diddums mentioned you'll be pinning the throttle 100% pretty much constantly, 11k rpm for 30 mins down a dual carriageway isn't always fun, so again something to consider depending on what you intent to use it for.

Also consider what your plans will be after your CBT, if your planning on going for a full test at some point (highly recommend it BTW) then buy gear with that in mind and buy something cheaper to ride if ou need more money for gear. If anything going for your test will only make you a better rider, I learnt so much during mine even after being on the road for over a year already.

SBS is great, free returns, quick delivery, I myself had a pair of jeans delivered yesterday, ended up too large, there already on their way back and the replacement size will be with me on Monday. Unless you have a good shop local that would be my choice when buying any bike gear.

Soldato
Geared 125 all the way.

I dont mind being considered one of those old men that should have died with a 14k modem lol. But I do think the above post about buying a moped is a load of tripe. But each to their own :)

Associate
Get the bike not a moped or everyone will just assume you're another deliveroo rider picking up McD all day :)

Saying all that, it used to be mopeds had much smaller wheels, crapper brakes etc. Whereas now they're probably up there with 'proper' 125s in terms of equipment, handling and moreso in comfort.

Edit: oh and good luck, have fun.

Soldato
OP
I did consider a moped just to get a feel and incase I can't manage the gears. But I think If I start on the bike I'll be better off and get some knowledgfe under my belt, and thanks.

Back
Top Bottom