1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking to upgrade for vr

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by H3RBSKI, 24 May 2019.

1. H3RBSKI

Hitman

so my current system is
    asus extreme 4 gen 3 motherboard
    i5 3750 k oc to 4.6gh under water cooling
    16g corsair vengence ddr3 ram
    4tb of various hdds
    and 256gb samsung ssd
    gtx msi 1070
    just got a rift s and noticed some games lag a fair bit even on lower settings, which is a pain being as i mostly play rythem games.

i had a vive before and while i noticed the lag i played through it but on the rift s my cpu barely meets minimum requirements.
    i dont want to spend too much but possibly £400-£500 on a new mobo, cpu and ram. ive had this set up since 2011 apart from the gpu so think its about time i upgrade. Id like to know if a i7 3770k would be a worthy upgrade or if its worth just going for a new build save wasting money on just a cpu then upgrading a bit later.
    any info or links are great thank you

2. Plec

Capodecina

You need to hang on for another 8 weeks for Zen 2 - and your budget will be enough. It would also be a system/upgrade that will last you years - judging from your present spec.

3. WantoN

Capodecina

Or keep an eye out on the MM, there’s an 8700K and Mobo going for about £365, I’ve got a similar setup and it’s lovely on my Ocus Rift with a 1080. I built most of my system (in sig) from the MM, for about £2k less then retail. Full custom loop, the lot.

You’re not that many posts from access, and it’s a real boon that we’re incredibly lucky to have. I buy from OCUK whenever I can, but the current market disgusts me if I’m being candid.

That being said, I don’t doubt the new Ryzen kit will be excellent, and good value for money. If I were in the market for a new system, I’d be damned excited.

So whilst the above advice is most definitely sound, I’d you can get access to the MM, and you’re willing to be a little patient, you could get a cracking little system for your budget. You can reuse your watercooling kit and just pick up blocks if you need them. Got all mine from the MM.

4. H3RBSKI

Hitman

would love access to the mm but dont want to spam 160 more posts:( but hopefully it will come soon enough

5. gEd

Gangster

nor me!

6. escobarrr

Associate

Last edited: 27 Dec 2019