• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Looking to upgrade from a 4850 512MB

Soldato
Hi all,

Looking at potentially upgrading my PC so that I can get back into playing some of the latest games, such as GTA V and have a feeling my current card (4850 512MB) just won't handle it.

I re-downloaded BF3 the other day and was struggling just to move forward smoothly.

Current specs are

i5 2500k @ 3.3GHz
4850 512MB
8GB DDR3
PSU - I think is 600W, I can double check when I get home.

Got a budget of around £200 and have just been looking at this, the OcUK GeForce GTX 770 "NVIDIA Reference" 4096MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-210-OK&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=1750

Anything else that's better for the money, or is there anything that could justify spending a little extra for?

Soldato
You'd be better off with a 280x tbh which is slightly cheaper and same performance but they both perform the same although you could easily snag a 290 if your able to increase your budget a little which would smash both the 280x and 770 and go nicely with your CPU and be fine with your PSU depending on brand of PSU though.

edit - yea above i didn't notice that was a 290x thought it was a 290 lol. Even better that's stupidly cheap for the performance.

Associate
Well sir this should be a big upgrade. If you could stretch to a 970 that would be ideal with the limited two free top games offer. Would last quite a bit longer than a 770 too because pretty much all recent top games can use well over 2GB at 1080p.

If you're patient enough *sniggle* there might also be a 960 Ti in the next few months which would fit well in the midrange. I've had a Gigabyte G1 970 and the 970s are exceptional for 1080p.

Soldato
OP
Make sure the PSU is named make so is not a £10 potato, you may need to update the boards BIOS so it sees the newer gpu.

Thanks for the link. I've just had a look and my PSU is only 550W. It's the OCZ ZS Series 550W I believe.

Looking on the product page it says that - 600W or greater PSU required :(

Is this going to be a serious issue?

Soldato
OP
Thanks for that. Overclockers is only 20 minutes away so should be able to take a trip later today :)

Hopefully it'll fit in my case as well, I have an Antec 902.

Back
Top Bottom