Looking to upgrade to 32 GB but what if I want a Ryzen build in the future?

Associate
Hi,

Currently running a 7700k and MSI 270 SLI Plus with 16 Gb of ram

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...hannel-kit-black-cmk16gx4m2b32-my-456-cs.html

I play DCS world quite a bit and also looking to get MFS2020 so 32 Gb would be handy.

I am planning on a CPU/MB refresh early next year and am sat on the fence between rocketlake/ Ryzen 4000 at the minute as Intel tends to run older engine games a little better. Waiting to see what results come in.

If i buy another 16 Gb of this ram will i need to replace the whole lot if I go with Ryzen? I notice that the ram is not on the AMD list of certified of sticks. There is another SKU for Ryzen optimised CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16.

Thanks

Associate
One of those questions that can only be answered as time goes by. There is still no info on 4000 and what the memory controller will do but we can guess it still has issues with running 4 dimms like every platform does so buying another kit is not advised.

We can also assume that the memory native speed is going to be over 3,800 Mhz so using a 3,200C16 kit is not going to be ideal. I actually wouldn't be surprised if it matches the Renoir 4,400 or so.

My advice is to just wait and get a 2x16GB kit with close to the highest supported RAM speed you can when more info pops up. Not only do you minimise problems by using 2 dimms, you will also get the better performance. I wouldn't be surprised if G. Skill and the like have memory specifically for the 4000 series planned, just like they did for the 3000 series with Neo.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
One of those questions that can only be answered as time goes by. There is still no info on 4000 and what the memory controller will do but we can guess it still has issues with running 4 dimms like every platform does so buying another kit is not advised.

We can also assume that the memory native speed is going to be over 3,800 Mhz so using a 3,200C16 kit is not going to be ideal. I actually wouldn't be surprised if it matches the Renoir 4,400 or so.

My advice is to just wait and get a 2x16GB kit with close to the highest supported RAM speed you can when more info pops up. Not only do you minimise problems by using 2 dimms, you will also get the better performance. I wouldn't be surprised if G. Skill and the like have memory specifically for the 4000 series planned, just like they did for the 3000 series with Neo.
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately I already purchased the ram. Been using it for a couple of hours and had a crash followed by a non boot. I reseated the ram and it rebooted okay - currently running a memtest. It was interesting you mentioned that using 4 dimms was a problem is this with amd only or is this the same with intel? Thanks

Associate
There's a lot of factors into it but yes it's not just an amd problem. 2 things to try because it's clearly not stable:

1: You can deviate from the XMP and try running say 3000 Mhz at the same latency

2: Use DRAM calculator with your taiphoon profile and select 4 dimms to see if inputting any procodt settings etc can get you stable

memtest is not a stability tool to be relied upon. karhu or testmem5 is the only decent ram stability tests.

Associate
There's a lot of factors into it but yes it's not just an amd problem. 2 things to try because it's clearly not stable:

1: You can deviate from the XMP and try running say 3000 Mhz at the same latency

2: Use DRAM calculator with your taiphoon profile and select 4 dimms to see if inputting any procodt settings etc can get you stable

memtest is not a stability tool to be relied upon. karhu or testmem5 is the only decent ram stability tests.
I personally think Memtest86 is fantastic.

I used to get random crashes and freezes on my PC. Booted up Memtest86, found errors, replaced RAM sticks, and not a single crash or freeze on my PC since.

Back
Top Bottom