1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lord Levy arrested and bailed in cash for honours enquiry.

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Shackley, 12 Jul 2006.

1. Shackley

Banned

Tony Bliar's chief fundraiser, tennis partner and trusted Middle East envoy Lord Levy has been arrested and bailed in connection with the "cash-for-honours" inquiry by the Metropolitan Police. A spokesperson for Lord Levy said that he had not committed any offence.

For how much longer can this bunch of sleazebags avoid the chop?

2. Dolph

Man of Honour

As long as idiots keep voting for them unfortunately :(

I went to see the New Statesman at the theatre last night, the idea that the whole new labour thing was engineered by Alan fitted in far, far too well....

3. Adnams Drinker

Wise Guy

It gladdens my heart to think of the panic that is probably gripping No. 10 this morning, as Blair's apologists frantically spin new ways to show that "Honest Tone" didn't have any idea what was going on and desperately try and get the Plod off his back. No doubt there'll be a press conference soon where their man comes out, smiles, shrugs his shoulders and turns in an Oscar-winning performance to deny all knowledge ...

This lot have been caught with their fingers in the till often enough in the last nine years and are equally, if not more, bent than the Tory administration they famously and publicly castigated for sleaziness. Sooner or later, their arrogance and their faith in their own untouchability is going to dig them in so deep all the spin in the world ain't going to get them out of it. Who knows? We may have just arrived at that point ...

4. Shackley

Banned

At least Lord Levy wasn't shot in the shoulder. :D

5. Shackley

Banned

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5174938.stm

They're coming to take you away, haa haa; they're coming to take you away, hee hee; they're coming to take you away.

6. Shackley

Banned

7. anarchist

PermaBanned

8. Chronos-X

Banned

Am I the only person in the world who doesn't see an issue with cash for honours? Its just a title ffs :confused:

9. Visage

PermaBanned

I can only hope that all this quickebns the pace for political finance reform - and I can see no reason why political parties shouldnt be financed from the public purse....

10. nero120

Soldato

Why should they be financed at all? Doesn't this very idea defeat the whole point of democracy? Democratic parties have no need adverts on tv, billboards in the streets, bribe money, etc.

11. Visage

PermaBanned

Is it not a good idea for people to make an informed choice?

If political parties didnt produce and distribute manifestos, film PPBs etc then doesnt that reduce voting to being nothing more than a random choice?

12. Rosbif

Wise Guy

I'm not sure its a good idea that the public should be a milking cow which cements the position of established political parties. And I certainly dont want money going towards disgusting fringe parties like the Greens, BNP, British Communist Party and so forth.

13. Shackley

Banned

"Fringe", yes. "Disgusting" seems an odd word to use.

Would you care to elaborate on why you consider the Greens, the BNP and the British Communist Party "disgusting" and also, what other parties come under the general classification of "and so forth"?

14. Visage

PermaBanned

But there's a contradiction there - the very fact that parties are privately funded means that the big parties are massively overfunded compared with the smaller ones, with no chance of changing the status quo.

For example - Labour and the Tories alone account for 84% of election spending in the uk (2005 election, fogure from the Electoral commission).

Clearly they dont need the public to cement their position....

15. Dolph

Man of Honour

I can't help feeling that a better solution would be prohibiting companies and unions from getting involved, and capping private donation amounts, as opposed to state funding. State funding will make it difficult for breakthrough parties (as they can't get funding) to get elected should the public want them to.

Unfortunately Labour refuse to give up their union funding, so that's highly unlikely to happen.

16. Rosbif

Wise Guy

Its entirely my own person opinion of those particular parties. The point I'm getting at is that I oppose cementing the position of established parties and funding parties I have no personal interest in.

17. Visage

PermaBanned

But as i mentioned above, the current system is excellent at cementing the position of established parties, simply because of their ability to raise funds that other parties cannot match.

18. VIRII

PermaBanned

You could argue that the ability to fundraise is related to their appeal and ability to govern.

19. Dolph

Man of Honour

You could, but only if union and corporate funding was removed. The vast majority of Labour and conservative funding comes from these two sources respectively, rather than from the electorate by donation.

A union or a company can't vote, but they can influence the result via donations.

20. nero120

Soldato

The infrastructure for parties to distribute their manifestos and messages etc should be provided by the public out of the public purse, yes. However, I disagree with handing money to a political party, or even allowing them to raise money to spend as they desire. Parties should be on an even playing field, and people should know where to look to find their messages. For example, this could be a publicly available website and forums through which anyone can sign up to and read all about any british democratic party. This could also be a weekly magazine that is operated independantly and keeps the public informed of all that is happening within the various british democratic parties.

I wholeheartedly disagree with the idea that a political party should be able to use its financial strength to make itself more appealing to the public.