Low-cost/free basic v. editing software with insert edit for YT vids @ 720p

Man of Honour
Hello gurus, I'm hoping to pick your collective brains on video editing software.

I've got a couple of little projects to edit, and I'm perhaps 95% sorted with my editing needs with the incredibly basic Magix Fastcut editing s/w which I found preloaded on this Core i5-3210 2.5GHz W10 lappy with 4Gb of ram. What's missing (or what I can't find) is a way to do a couple of cutaway shots.

By cutaway, what I mean is the same in principle as you might see in an interview; the interviewee responds to a question, and partway through their response the image cuts to the interviewer nodding as if they're listening, then the image goes back to the interviewee. I hope that makes sense?

There's no requirement for additional audio in the cutaway shot, so it's not a complete cut edit. I need the audio bed to run uninterrupted throughout that little segment, and just insert in the cutaway shot at the appropriate time.

I had a quick look through the first half dozen pages of this sub forum, and then tried a search, but my requirement is quite specific, so I couldn't really narrow down any likely candidates.

My web search threw a few candidate software programs in to the ring, but again, short of downloading and installing them all, I don't know if there's an easy or reliable way to find s/w with an insert edit feature. (Incidentally, some free-to-use packages make the help files available only as a paid option.)

The software itself doesn't need to be fancy or offer lots of whizzy tools. This is a once-in-a-blue-moon project, and it could be another 10 years before I do something similar, so spending a head of cash on really great software would be pointless. For the majority of what I need simple cut edits and fades work just fine; I just need an insert edit feature.

Source and final output files will be 720p @ 50Hz.

So, can anyone recommend some software or a good resource site to help narrow down the s/w choices?

Many thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom