Low FPS on my first pc i built yesterday

Associate
Hello Community!

Yesterday i built my very own first (gaming) pc. I diden't have a big budget so i decided to spend 600$ in total, since this is my first gaming pc and i would upgrade eventually.

My pc has the following parts:

- Processor AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with Radeon Vega Graphics, 3500 MHz, 4 core('s), 4 logische processor(s)

- G.Skill 8 GB DDR4-2400 Kit

- ASROCK X470 Master SLI Motherboard

My problem is, when i play a game like Overwatch, i get around 30-40 fps, when i play the game in windowed mode, in 720p, with all the settings down to the lowest they can go.

I have seen a few video's on youtube showcasing the Ryzen 3 2200g, and playing the game in 1080p in medium-low, and getting fps of around 80+....

Is there something i am doing wrong? I hope you guys can help me out, since i don't know allot about building a pc, and all the things I read online are kinda hard to follow....

Anyways, thanks for taking your time and I hope someone can help me out!

Soldato
Hi,
Do you have the latest drivers installed?

Have you checked the speed your RAM is running at? Usually it defaults to very slow speeds rather than its XMP rating.

Your RAM is a bit on the slow side. I wouldn't have thought it would make that much difference, but it might account for a bit of the disparity.

I assume you've got a standard 1080p monitor?

Soldato
Hi

I would hazard a guess that it is to do with your Ram only being 2400MHz. These Ryzen cpu's love fast Ram.

Anybody you know have a faster kit of say 3000MHz that you could borrow to test with ?

Also is your kit 2 x 4GB or 1 x 8gb ?

Associate
OP
Hi, and thanks for the fast reply!
I went to cmd and when i enter ´memorychip get speed´ it says: memorychip is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

a tutorial on youtube said a number should roll out....

I don't have anyone i can lend Ram from unfortunately :(

Associate
OP
Hi

I would hazard a guess that it is to do with your Ram only being 2400MHz. These Ryzen cpu's love fast Ram.

Anybody you know have a faster kit of say 3000MHz that you could borrow to test with ?

Also is your kit 2 x 4GB or 1 x 8gb ?

Its 2 x 4GB

Associate
OP
Hi,
Do you have the latest drivers installed?

Have you checked the speed your RAM is running at? Usually it defaults to very slow speeds rather than its XMP rating.

Your RAM is a bit on the slow side. I wouldn't have thought it would make that much difference, but it might account for a bit of the disparity.

I assume you've got a standard 1080p monitor?

I have updated my bios, and i just installed the drivers from the AMD website. My monitor is 1080p

Last edited:
Associate
="
I went to cmd and when i enter ´memorychip get speed´ it says: memorychip is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

Ok stop looking at youtube, its garbage.
Make sure all your drivers are uptodate, that includes mother board and video car.
Go to the manufacturer of the motherboard, process, gpu and any other peripheral you have for the drivers and install them, as well as any current windows update.

Associate
OP
Ok stop looking at youtube, its garbage.
Make sure all your drivers are uptodate, that includes mother board and video car.
Go to the manufacturer of the motherboard, process, gpu and any other peripheral you have for the drivers and install them, as well as any current windows update.

I went to AMD (which is my processor), and downloaded this:
https://gyazo.com/76d4a4d9fe7d9261934122ec1daf6626

I went to the ASrock website, and found my motherboard, and downloaded this
https://gyazo.com/4b7c14a578c2e352d5104ffb10af4213

The program that should update my motherboard driver looked the same as the one i used for my AMD processor, and showed me this:
https://gyazo.com/5b332f745b2071e3fdeac1914fb316c5

So should i keep the 18.7.1, or go to the recommended 18.5.1 ?

Anyways, it did not help with my FPS...

FPS OVERWATCH - settings LOW - https://gyazo.com/789a7a0a74225a82c087a0100c044a96

RAM SPEED: 2134

Last edited:
Associate
Purley ram speed, needs 3000+ to get job done as you imagine it , ram speed being 2134(2133mhz) enable your XMP profile in bios , or DOCP as AMD calls it , to get 2400 , that should give you a slight improvement in single digit percentages. you need fast ram . performance is where I expect it to be tbh

Associate
OP
Purley ram speed, needs 3000+ to get job done as you imagine it , ram speed being 2134(2133mhz) enable your XMP profile in bios , or DOCP as AMD calls it , to get 2400 , that should give you a slight improvement in single digit percentages. you need fast ram . performance is where I expect it to be tbh

Ok! So should i replace my ram with another ? Or can i just add some ram to an empty slot ? I'm new to this sorry!

Associate
Ok! So should i replace my ram with another ? Or can i just add some ram to an empty slot ? I'm new to this sorry!

Step 1 - reboot and get into your bios ( mash del or F2 )
step 2 - Select D.O.C.P or X.M.P and make sure your ram speed is defaulting to 2400 NOT 2133 . SAVE don't just exit.

don't add any old ram , make sure theyre matched pair's and are running in dual channel , 1st and 3rd dimm slot or 2nd and 4th . if running two different frequencies , they'll default to the lowest frequency . adding more ram wont do you any favours, upgrading your ram will …

personally at the cost of ddr4 now I wouldn't bother upgrading but if you feel you must , sell the kit you have and put it towards a new kit

don't be sorry , ask all you need , that's what the forums here for.

Associate
edit , saying that ive looked at your screenshot , and your at near 100% cpu utilization just at the menu , what are you doing in the background , that games doesn't max 4 cores out at menu ???

Associate
OP
edit , saying that ive looked at your screenshot , and your at near 100% cpu utilization just at the menu , what are you doing in the background , that games doesn't max 4 cores out at menu ???

The CPU is normally at 30/40/50 with nothing running in the background, i think it was just a weird peak showing the 100%.
I went into the bios and set the ram speed to 2400, unfortunately it did not help.
I´m kind of running out of options here.

So it´s because of the ram basically? I was hoping to play games like this untill i got enough money to buy a graphics card, but i guess i won't be able to play anything untill then...

Soldato
You've learnt an expensive lesson I'm sorry to say, although I know thats probably stating the obvious and not really helpful.Research, research and more research before buying is your friend.

I don't suppose you could sell the existing ram to fund some quicker stuff as someone's already advised? It's either that or bite the bullet, save some more and ask here before buying whilst putting up with lower frame rates for now.

Associate
OP
Try a bot match with your RAM set to 2400MHZ.

This channel tests budget and old PC parts and Overwatch is fine at least for a bot match:

https://youtu.be/F0xpRMdGBmo?t=106

The chap has a 2200G but runs it with 2400MHZ RAM. He was also using software capture so the Overwatch figures are with that running too.

I tried playing a bot match after setting my ram to 2400Mhz, but it still was around 30-40 fps with 1080p annd all settings on the lowest and the framerate at 75% (50% is just too blurry)

Back
Top Bottom