• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Lower GPU performance with Windows 10 1903 ?

Associate
I wasn't sure where to put this thread, however yesterday I upgraded from windows 10 build 1809 to windows 10 build 1903 on my main rig, and after doing som testing with 3Dmark Time Spy and other benchmarks I found myself with lower GPU performance than usual ?. :eek:

I checked my OC settings on the cards (RTX 2080Ti NVlink SLI) and they were just fine and what they have been set at for months now. I then updated from Forceware 430.86 to the latest Forceware 436.48 but that didn't help at all.

Usually I would get around 22'200 in Time Spy standard total score, the GPU score around 26'700 and CPU score around 11'300.
However now I get around 21'500, the GPU score is around 25'900 now, so around 800 points lower, and the CPU score is still around 11'300.

The total score in Time Spy Extreme however only differs between 11'100 and 11'050, so here it doesn't seem to loose any significant GPU performance (both around 13'900 GPU score).

Testing CPU performance with CPU-Z and Cinebench R15 and R20, showed pretty much the same results, seemingly unaffected by the update.

I've tested in AC Odyssey, Far Cry New Dawn, COD WW2, BF5, Control, Wolfenstein Youngblood, Anno 1800 and 4 of the games show about 3~5FPS loss while the others remain untouched.
Have some of you experience the same behavior in performance loss ?.:eek::confused:

I will admit that the update to 1903 wasn't without issues. I realized that the new update yet again bricked any overclock settings on the X99 platform with a Broadwell-E CPU, so insted og 4.2GHz my CPU was running 3.5GHz:(. However "luckily" I found out MSI had released a Beta BIOS to the X99 platform to yet again update the microcode, so overclocking was possible. So naturally I flashed to the new Beta BIOS and I got my 4.2GHz back again.:rolleyes:

I am really wondering if all these Intel security patches and fixes to both the OS and the BIOS, are starting to hurt the overall combined performance of my system.

My wife's PC with X99 and a Haswell-E i7 5960X had no issues running build 1903 (just like the previous ones, no Intel bug or microcode update needed on those cpu's) and even her 2x RTX 2080 NVlink SLi cards with and outdated forceware 417 driver experienced a 200point performance boost in 3Dmark Time Spy going from a total of 18'200 to 18'400points. :confused:

I am a confused man....:rolleyes:

Soldato
To get a better understanding of your situation use the search bar in win10 and type DXDiag (enter).
Type Snip & Sketch in search bar (enter)
Take 1 screenshot of the System Tab
Take 2 screenshots of Display Tab. 1st one is normal pic of what you see. 2nd one is with the scroll bar for Device all the way down to the bottom.
Take screenshot of Sound 1

Associate
OP
To get a better understanding of your situation use the search bar in win10 and type DXDiag (enter).
Type Snip & Sketch in search bar (enter)
Take 1 screenshot of the System Tab
Take 2 screenshots of Display Tab. 1st one is normal pic of what you see. 2nd one is with the scroll bar for Device all the way down to the bottom.
Take screenshot of Sound 1

I am not sure what DXDiag will display that will make you understand the situation better. It displays exactly the same as it did before but with another windows build ID and display driver version.

Man of Honour
Got 1903 on my 24/7 PC

Totally messed up any CPU overclocking on my CPU (6950X).

It does not matter what it shows in the bios for an overclock all my CPU will do is run at default.

It is a known fault with Windows 1903 and some CPUs.

Soldato
I hate these windows "feature" updates. They just seem to make windows more bloated and buggy.

I'm tempted to download the LTSB version and install that. Which just gets security updates and none of the crap.

Associate
OP
Got 1903 on my 24/7 PC

Totally messed up any CPU overclocking on my CPU (6950X).

It does not matter what it shows in the bios for an overclock all my CPU will do is run at default.

It is a known fault with Windows 1903 and some CPUs.

Yea it's a real pain and it's only that X99 and Broadwell-E combo that is affected. My wife's MSI X99S Gaming 7 and i7 5960X has not had any issues with the MS function updates.
But for me with MSI X99S Krait Edition motherboard and a 6950X it is the 2nd time the OC was lost in windows. Luckily MSI did just release Beta BIOS that addresses that specific OC issue with Broadwell-E and the new micro codes.
I fear update 1909 will break the OC possibilities again. After New Year I will definitely be getting X570 and yet another Ryzen 9 3900X (or 3950X) to use in my main build. I am really tired of all the Intel security holes and the performance loss everytime. My ITX work machine with a 3900X is just blazingly responsive and quick.

Associate
I tell you the 1903 update turned my PC into an ancient piece of junk. I have Asus X-99 Pro w/ Haswell-E 5820k, 16GB RAM w/ Nvidia 1070, Win 10 on EVO 850 SSD. Prior to 1903 I could have 80 Chrome windows, a game, security cam software, and photoshop open all at the same time and not experience any lag. Now it's just lag everywhere. What the hell should I do? Is a Bios update going to do anything for me? I really don't want to lose all my Bios settings as I can't remember what they are. Asus's latest Bios update for this MB was in July and only notes that it's for the Intel chip security issue.

Back
Top Bottom