LPT: Got an ultra-wide monitor? Bemused by lack of 21:9 scaling in Netflix, Youtube etc?

Soldato
Yes sir, PG348Q. Should arrive in Eire Wednesday according to shipping.

Where are you in Ireland? Would love to see that monitor in real life. Thinking about getting one myself. It's either that or get a 40+ TV/monitor to wall mount and use as my monitor. Will probably have to sell my 1070 and move to Vega for Freesync 2. I guess it's nice to have a choice :)

Soldato
Where are you in Ireland? Would love to see that monitor in real life. Thinking about getting one myself. It's either that or get a 40+ TV/monitor to wall mount and use as my monitor. Will probably have to sell my 1070 and move to Vega for Freesync 2. I guess it's nice to have a choice :)

I'm in Laois. Here it is, unfortunately the 1080Ti I got was defective. Would artifact and crash the system if I put any load on it.

Darn shame really, back on the 980Ti right now, and it's struggling even to play WoW at this res. Hopefully my RMA goes through quickly on 1080ti and I get a replacement soon.

oPpJ6ts.jpg

2jMN74X.jpg

WeDt53m.jpg

Soldato
Happy so far with it. Going to need to get a second smaller desk for my work computer, was hoping I could fit it on there as well. No luck haha.

Sorry about your 1080ti, that's what you get for selling out and not going Vega :p

Hope they get you sorted out pretty quickly. Sometimes RMAs take a long time!! Lucky you had a backup card.

Soldato
Sorry about your 1080ti, that's what you get for selling out and not going Vega :p

Hope they get you sorted out pretty quickly. Sometimes RMAs take a long time!! Lucky you had a backup card.

Oh damn! The card saw it had a Freesync panel connected to it as well, and blew itself. :p

Yeah the 980Ti is a loaner from a friend; who I originally sold it to hah.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Update!

Since Firefox/Chrome/Safari etc are all limited to 720P for Netflix, I did some extra digging to try and find a solution to getting 1080P or above with 21:9 support working in Edge and IE and found out that it's actually very easy.

The solution is to use a custom bookmarklet saved in your favs bar or favs menu, and every time you play a movie that's cinema wide, you click that bookmarklet which enables the zoom controls in the browser (Netflix disables them on every video load). Once done, you can use the SHIFT, CTRL and ALT keys to zoom in and out at varying speeds.

The code to use in the bookmarklet URL field is this:

Code:
javascript:(function(){k='data-shv';v=window.document.getElementsByTagName('video')[0];window.onkeydown=function(e){i=(e.key=='Shift'&&0.01||e.key=='Control'&&-0.01);if(i){i=i*(e.altKey?0.1:1);j=parseFloat(v.getAttribute(k));j=(isNaN(j)?1:j);j=j+i;v.setAttribute(k,j);v.style.transform='scale('+j+')'}}})()

The above is super easy in IE11 as all you gotta do is edit an existing bookmark and change the URL, then name is accordingly. I have called mine "Netflix UWA fix".

If you use Edge, then you need to install an additional app as Edge does not let you edit a saved bookmark as MS removed that feature in later updates :rolleyes:

The editor to use is Edge Manage. This lets you view Edge bookmarks and edit them. Once created, the bookmarklet works in exactly the same way.

Now all you have to do to watch Netflix in 1080P or 4K is load it up in Edge or IE11 and when you start a movie, simply click the bookmarklet. My monitor is 3440x1440, so not quite 4K, but I like the IE11 method as it allows the pinned IE11 icon to show the Netflix logo:

The by-product of the JavaScript bookmarklet is that any streaming service in any browser will behave the same way. So 21:9 youtube videos that aren't coded correctly can be zoomed the same way now, so maybe rename the bookrmarklet to "UWA fix" :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom