lumpwood charcoal larger pieces?

Soldato
I use the Big K Dura charcoal and it's always decent quality at a reasonable price. You can usually find it on offer somewhere as well, so when it is, I stock up on a few boxes.

Soldato
Is the Big K stuff good for long slow indirect cooking as at the moment not sure what to do my brisket with as the briquettes don't seem to last longer than 2 hours ish?

Soldato
Gave my Weber a good ol scrubbin the other week and haven't touched it since. I'd usually be 10+ BBQs in by the time June rolls around too! Yes lumpwood burns hotter and quicker. Prefer briquettes myself.

Caporegime
Get restaurant grade. Bought two bags of the CPL distribution stuff last year (blue bag).

Amazing stuff. Massive bits that stay hot for hours and don't fall through the charcoal grill.

Anything else I have bought (ie lumpwood bags from supermarkets) has been pants, and as you have noticed, mostly tiny bits.

Caporegime
whats the stuff they add to cheap charcoal to bulk it up? I think it was something that isn't even capable of burning.

I can remember watching a docu about it

Soldato
Lumpwood charcoal can be used for slow BBQ roasting if you control the airflow and top it up.

The larger the chunks the better and higher quality for sure, it's much better to use also.

I dont have anything against briquettes either for slow BBQ roasting they are perfect.

Soldato
Is the Big K stuff good for long slow indirect cooking as at the moment not sure what to do my brisket with as the briquettes don't seem to last longer than 2 hours ish?

I use Heat Beads for low and slow, charcoal for hot and fast. The Big K stuff burns much hotter than the briquettes.

where get big k from for cheapo? how much for 5kg bag?

Direct from Big K seems the cheapest at the moment, £22 for 15kg. The big boxes were 3 for the price of 2 a while back on Ocado so I stocked up with 6.

Soldato
Get restaurant grade. Bought two bags of the CPL distribution stuff last year (blue bag).

Edit: leaving the below as its a good warning against the B&Q stuff, but a quick Google suggests it isn't the same as the CPL one. :

If this is the stuff they sell in B&Q then it's terrible, worst coal I've ever used, its a nightmare to light, doesn't burn hot (and so leaves loads of residue and ash behind), and pops and crackles constantly, covering your food in charcoal dust. I have 3/4 bag in the shed which I would have thrown away, but might come in handy in an emergency if we run out mid cook.

morrisons have the big bags of big-k restaurant grade in £20, found that stuff to be very good.

Yeah, this is the good stuff, complete opposite to the one above, it lights easily from a single ball of paper in a chimney starter, and burns lovely and hot and clean. Added bonus is that the bag is paper* so after it's empty you can use it to light the next BBQ (unlike the blue woven plastic one above!)

* its actually 2 layers of paper with a thin layer of plastic between - remove that first!!

Back
Top Bottom