M.2 drive installation on Asus Z390-E ROG Strix

Associate
Hi,

I am having problems installing an M.2 drive on Asus Z390-E ROG Strix motherboard. I need to take off the heatspreader to access the M.2 slot on the mobo. The screws holding the heatspreader are impossible to unscrew - they're so tightly screwed (or they used a thread locker) that it's simply impossible to unscrew them. I tried several small Philips screwdrivers of varying sizes, none of them worked. It seems it's not only my problem: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...TH-because-of-the-M-2-Screws-on-the-M-2-Panel

Does anyone know the *exact* screwdriver size which would work?

Man of Honour
It looks like the idiots used threadlock on a screw that it supposed to be removed. Why on earth they would do this is beyond understanding. It would appear that the metal used on the screws is very soft as well which just compounds the problem. In that thread even people using the size screwdriver recommended by the Asus techs (Phillips #1) still stripped the screws so I think the best idea is to weaken the thread lock. You can do this by placing a hot soldering iron against the screw to heat the screw up and soften the thread lock. If you don't have a soldering iron you could heat a screwdriver and then placing that against the screw.

Soldato
I've had the same problem with my Hero X. On mine I was able to remove the left hand screw but the right wouldn't budge. After removing the left though, I could swing the heatsink around to give me access to the slot, then secure back in place with the left screw.

Back
Top Bottom